Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Glue for LP top that WILL NOT come apart

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by horseman308, Jun 13, 2018.

1. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    Besides TiteBond and hide glue, what are some other options for gluing a top to the body? How do people feel about using Weldwood contact cement? The top I'll be using is nicely burled walnut but has some cupping in it. Even if I can plane it out, I want to ensure that the glue I use will not EVER let go.

I've never used hide glue, so I'd rather avoid that here. TiteBond had served me well in the past, but I'm a little unsure about its holding ability if the top is naturally pulling away from the body.

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    You could go with Urea Formaldehyde glue. You buy it as granules, but mix with just water. No heating pot like hide glue. It dries very hard and extremely strong. The drawback is that it has a shelf life, even in granule form, so you have to make sure you get a package that is not expired. Unfortunately, most sellers don't even know there is an expiration and thus continue to sell it even after expired. It may work after expired, but as usual, no guarantee.

3. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    resorcinol.

if in the UK you might try cascamite. both are unstoppable and, in the case of cascamite, it was used in the body of a guitar that is incredibly famous.
    construction and veneering.

4. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    You can't really tell from the pic but this one is arched top and back with the 1/4" top glued to a mostly hollowed out body. Been glued up for 6 years without any sign of creep on the unbound edges. If the 'cup' can be taken out with moderate finger pressure you don't have to worry about TiteBond moving on you.
    . Tele4.jpg

2blue2 and Barncaster like this.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Any good wood glue, properly applied and workpieces properly clamped, will work fine. TiteBond will do it.

My question is... how much is it cupped? What's the dimension? 1/16"? 1/8"? If it's excessive, you run the risk of stressing the top if you clamp it all down tight to the body. If you're overcoming an excessive cup, it might crack over time.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    NOT contact cement. any of the normal wood glues should work. I'll add epoxy... thats probably what I would use

Maricopa likes this.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Titebond or Titebond II

But make sure to level both gluing surfaces and use lots of clamps.

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Titebond I - I've run multiple maple tops on various backs through a planer, not one top pulled up, all titebond 1.

9. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    It is fairly cupped at the moment, probably more than 1/8". I'll be planing out as much as I can, and since it's a flat top build, I don't really need much thickness to work with. But thanks for the warning about it cracking over time. I'll keep that in mind.

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Just curious why you mention TB II since it doesn't need to be waterproof?

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Another vote got Titebond. Never had a problem if everything is properly fitted.
    Just please don't use Gorilla glue. That has no place in guitar building IME.

horseman308 likes this.

12. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    Agreed. No Gorilla glue.

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I glued up a maple cap last week that was cupped at least that much. I used yellow glue and screwed it down where the cavities will be and used a lot of clamps. It came out really nice. If you are really worried about it then I would go with 20 minute epoxy.

14. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2009
    Readsboro, VT
    Titebond and similar wood glues are stronger than the wood they're attached to. As long as your surfaces are flat and it's clamped well, the Titebond WILL NOT let go. That doesn't mean that the wood won't crack or split, but the glue won't let go.

televillian likes this.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    RogerC likes this.

16. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Gil is going to drop in here any moment....

rogb likes this.

17. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    For me I'd flatten as much as you can and then mix up a nice fresh batch of best quality hot hide glue. Clamp it nice and even. It's what Gibson Custom Shop use for their True Historic models.

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Titebond ll and lll have more resistance to creep than regular titebond I believe.

Actually anecdotal evidence from various sites I've read says just the opposite. At any rate, TBI is fine as there's no need for waterproof glue in a guitar.

If you're really worried I agree with Rob, hot hide glue is the most creep-resistant thing you could use.

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I guess it depends on who and what is being said about it....I never cared for II and never used III myself, so I have nothing to compare it to except what is said online.

20. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I know I've posted this before when the subject of glues comes up, but it's worth posting again. This comes from Hugh Evans on the OLF.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.