"Glad you could fill in!" the most welcome band member replacements

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by edvard, May 14, 2019.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw them in 79 or 80.
    I went on a blind double date (sounds ultra corny, no?) to see them at the Frank Irwin Center.
    They were shockingly good!
    I have never been much of an art/prog rock fan, except for Wishbone Ash.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I was (and still like some) an "art/prog rock" fan(atic).....Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, McDonald and Giles, ELP, you name it! Gentle Giant and Genesis were at the top of the list.

rghill and brookdalebill like this.
  3. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

John Frusciante. He was so good at filling in that the Chili Peppers asked him back a second time!

AAT65, edvard, Otis Fine and 3 others like this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Peart is the first thing that came to my mind. Rutsey was fine, but really didn't add anything to the band and Peart's arrival marked a huge turn in the way they approached the tunes. No Peart = no Rush.

5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

If you like Gaines, you should check out One in The Sun, if you've not heard any of it before. Was released by his family posthumously and is so freaking good.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nVF4qrzCFXtDGNGB5lWiLJnSdkY6W0RhQ

Mike Eskimo and Bruxist like this.
  6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Phil also played on the Counterpoints album for Argent, once they made the turn into prog rock. An overlooked album because Argent was no longer interested in writing singles, but it was real good.

- D

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

you've piqued my curiosity. I'll ahve to check that out. Anytime someone isn't interested in singles, cool things can happen.

Teleterr likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's a very cool album. Russ Ballard had left the band before the previous album (Circus, also an excellent record), and they got a guitarist named John Grimaldi to replace him. And for the recording of Counterpoints, they brought on another guitarist named John Verity.

Bob Henrit fell ill during sessions for the album, at which point Phil stepped in.

I went looking on Youtube for the opening track ('On My Feet Again'), and found it! If you go and search for 'Argent Counterpoints,' you'll get a playlist with the full album.

- D

10. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Nils is once again taking up the reins of second guitar in Crazy Horse. Frank “Poncho” Sampedro is happy being retired from the music business. Neil Young & Crazy Horse are in the studio working on a new album.

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Scot Halpin sat in with the Who

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_Halpin

Moon passed out completely, slumping onto his drums. He was carried off—this time not to return. Guitarist Pete Townshend later said in an interview that Moon had consumed large tranquilizer pills, meant to be consumed by animals, with a large volume of brandy.
    The remaining three band members then played a short jam, before going into "See Me, Feel Me", without drums, with vocalist Roger Daltrey adding a tambourine for percussion. The song received a huge response, and Pete Townshend thanked the crowd for putting up with a three-quarter-strength band, saying "I think it should be us applauding you". Instead of leaving the stage, though, Townshend asked the crowd, "Can anybody play the drums?" He repeated the question, adding forcefully, "I mean somebody good!"

Keith leaves the stage 1:13:40 ... and then passes out 1:29:48.
    Pete calls some one to play the drums 1:37:44.

12. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

WOW! That's exciting. I've saw Neil with Crazy Horse about 5 or 6 years ago (with Patti Smith opening) and a couple times since with Promise of the Real. I think he's one of the few remaining rock "icons" of his generation that still carries the same passion as he did 50 years ago. Thanks for the tip on the new album. Glad to hear that Nils is involved again. I'll be looking for its release.

By the way, I like your Steal Your Indian Face avatar

Chip likes this.
  13. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's absolutely classic. I saw Robert Randolph pluck a kid out of the audience to play guitar on stage for a few numbers. Buddy Guy too. But the Scot Halpin / Who story is the best.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Jimmie Nicol?

AAT65 likes this.
  15. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

John Corabi - Motley Crue
    Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
    Todd LaTorre - Queensryche

DFB1 likes this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

As in the previous thread, Queen should have replaced Mr Mercury permanently with George Michael. It would have benefited both and, with GM’s song writing talents, both would, IMHO, moved forward musicaly.

awasson likes this.
  17. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I thought Ian Gillan did pretty good with Black Sabbath on "Zero the Hero", but that could have just as easily been an Ozzy song, so... yeah.
    I have to mostly agree with you on David Gilmour, though Syd did give us "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Overdrive". Let's not talk about "Effervescing Elephant" though.
    I didn't get too far into Hawkwind, so I can't speak to Lemmy's contributions there, but I'm kinda glad they kicked him out so he could form Motorhead. :cool:

18. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Holic

Has anyone mentioned Rod Stewart and Ron Wood joining The Small Faces? That was a pretty good substitution.

19. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

I imagine Pat Smear has been that guy more times than most.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    edvard likes this.
  20. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I still like Chuck's albums better than Mike's, even though Mike is a heck of a singer. I thought his style worked better in Mr. Bungle.

Steve 78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.