"Glad you could fill in!" the most welcome band member replacements

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by edvard, May 14, 2019.

1. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Continuing a grand TDPRI tradition of taking one Bad Dog thread and turning it upside down in another...

What bands have replaced band members (due to everything from "creative differences" to unfortunate death) with 'just as good' or better folks?
    My picks:
    #1: Voivod. Denis "Piggy" D'Amour's untimely death at 45 from colon cancer left a void in the band that seemed impossible to fill. Enter Daniel "Chewy" Mongrain.

#2: Iron Maiden. As enjoyable a vocalist as Paul Di'Anno was, Bruce Dickinson absolutely MADE the band for everything afterwards (except for that brief, forgettable stint with Blaze Bayley).

Got any more?

bender66 and Treadplatedual like this.
  2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was a big fan of Mick Taylor when he filled Brian Jones spot in the stones. I think Ron Wood was also a successful replacement when Mick left the Stones.

I’m sure there are other replacements and substitutes but I can’t think of any as noteable at the moment.

LocoTex, Jim622, bromdenlong and 9 others like this.
  3. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I always thought Joe Walsh was a great addition to the Eagles.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

All the classic Hendrix hits were with Noel Redding on bass, but Billy Cox played with Jimi for much of 1969 in to 1970 and brought something pretty different to his music. A little more groove, a little more organic sounding. Not that Noel Redding was bad by any stretch, but he was a lot more poppy.

Geo, Andy B, Hatfield92 and 5 others like this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

when Jeff Beck took over for Eric Clapton in the Yardbirds... even Eric said they were a better band

Owenmoney, Geo, Hatfield92 and 8 others like this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bruce in Iron Maiden. ( BROOCE! )
    Ian Gillan for Deep Purple, 'though his stint in Black Sabbath should be left as a footnote.
    Michael Schenker joining UFO.
    Paul Raymond joining UFO.
    Eddie Clark and Phil Taylor replacing Larry Wallis and Lucas Fox to form the Three Amigos of Motorhead.
    Ringo.
    Martin Barre took Jethro Tull up a notch.
    Mick Green, Frank Farley and Johnny Spence taking over as The Pirates behind Johnny Kidd. They may not have had the hits, but they were so influential as a band.
    Keith Moon.
    Duck Dunn joining Booker T. & The MG's took them to new heights.
    David Gilmour transformed Pink Floyd. The Syd years are an interesting curio to me, no more. ( sharpen those torches, light the pitchforks :) )
    Lemmy joining Hawkwind.
    Bob Calvert joining Hawkwind.

Hatfield92 and awasson like this.
  7. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Shoot me, but Buckingham and Nicks joining Fleetwood Mac.

I think I'm the only person on this planet who was never in The Fall so not sure if their rotating door membership improved their output or not.

Geo, Tezuka27, RodeoTex and 5 others like this.
  8. Itchyfeet1000

Itchyfeet1000 Tele-Meister

The Cure have had a host of different members over the years. Only Robert Smith seems to be a permanent fixture.

Blue Aeroplanes, a Bristol based guitar band, have had tons of members over the last three decades. They're known for sometimes having four or five guitarists on stage at the same time.

9. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Mike Patton replacing Chuck Mosley in Faith No More. I really like Chuck's work and his style, but it's hard to compete against Mike.

ElJay370 likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jim Messina replacing Bruce Palmer in Buffalo Springfield was a good move.
    Timothy B. Schmidt was a good replacement for Randy Meisner in both Poco and the Eagles.
    Martin Barre was a better choice than Tony Iommi in Jethro Tull.
    Laurie Wisefield replaced Ted Turner admirably in Wishbone Ash.

11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Ian Mosley on drums in Marillion.
    Neil Peart.
    Steve Howe and Steve Hackett, not that their predecessors were slouches.

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Vivian Campbell was a great choice for Def Leppard to replace the late Steve Clark (RIP).

3-Chord-Genius, awasson and Ron R like this.
  13. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Kenny Gradney replacing Roy Estrada in Little Feat (added bonus: he brought Sam Clayton with him).

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1.) there is a HUGE contingent of hipsters (also called ‘66-ers after their favorite musical year) who swear by the motto “No Jones/No Stones”

2.) I love Mick Taylor, I love the Blues From Laurel Canyon record but - the “Mick Taylor era” Stones were great because of Jagger/Richards songs/riffs - not because of the guitar work of Taylor. That rootsy period of the Stones would have been just as successful if Ron Wood was the guitarist then (ducks).

Clapton’s contribution to that band was to get them up and running and get recognition, Page’s contribution was not much. The Yardbirds were Beck’s band.

15. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

While I love Ed King (RIP), Steve Gaines (also RIP) was a force of nature. I also think he brought so much to the band with his playing, singing, and songwriting that it re-energized Lynyrd Skynyrd. Wish we would have had more time to see what they could have done together.

Owenmoney, Geo, Hatfield92 and 7 others like this.
  16. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

I mean enormous Stones fan and I have to agree. As good as Mick T. was in the band, he lacked one thing...chemistry. IMO, Ronnie's an underrated played and a lot better than he gets credit for. He plays for the song, so if it's a simple, economical style he plays...it's because the song calls for it. He also injected a lot of life into the band when he joined. I've got hours and hours of bootlegs of the Stones and there's a definite injection of life in their playing once he's there.

Also add David Gilmour joining Pink Floyd. Sorry...but the Syd years aren't as wonderful as people think. The song writing improved by light years once Waters came into his own...and who's really going to argue Syd's playing is better that David's? Had Syd stayed in the band and remained the main songwriter and singer...they would have been recording The Shagg's "My Pal Foot Foot" instead of "Dark Side". Syd was a quaint, interesting starting point...but mental illness isn't that fun to listen to album after album.

17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Can you imagine if Rush had never found Peart?

Slip Kid, awasson and Torren61 like this.
  18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Ringo Starr.

Slip Kid, Jerry J, Tezuka27 and 9 others like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Steve Hackett replacing Anthony Phillips in Genesis, as well as Phil Collins replacing John Silver (I think?) in Genesis took that band up WAY MORE than one or two notches.....
    ADDED after checking.....John Mayhew replaced John Silver.....Phil replaced Mayhew. My Bad!

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    AAT65, Ron R and Mike Eskimo like this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Absolutely.

Steve Gaines
    Steve Gaines
    Steve Gaines

Best guitarist they ever had and as least as good a singer as Ronnie.

Yeah. They would have had to find another Ayn Rand/Tolkien obsessed drummer to write “lyrics” for Geddy Lee to “sing”...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.