Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Give me a Boost...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fernandes_tele, Sep 16, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    My two boosts are a BBE Boosta Grande or an LPB-1. I've used others but these work best for me

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    There are lots of excellent clean boosts on the market, but I just use my three-knob overdrive pedal.

When I turn the volume up and the drive down, it makes a great clean boost.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Mosky XP boost is the best 20 bucks I've spent! It's an Xotic Ep clone.

Badspike and GearHund like this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Nocturne Atomic Brain. Mystery Brain if you also want a fantastic tape echo.

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    There are a gazillion boost pedals out there......TC Spark (both the big one and the Mini) are great.
    I use a T-Rex Tonebug Boost, before that I had a Reussenzehn Max Röhrig Tube Booster, which was gereat, but needed an extra DC power. The Tonebug is affordable, the TC Mini Spark is also quite low budget, so you can try it out, without spending a fortune.
    The main question is: do you want to add more grit or do you want more volume for a solo etc.?
    If you place a booster in front of your Blues junior, it WILL add more gain to your input, therefore it will add compression to the sound (if not overdriving the input) = it'll change your sound.
    I have my booster in the effect loop to minimize the sound change - of course there will always be a slight change in sound, the "neutral volume boost" is rather.....a myth: http://blog.lehle.com/2017/09/20/the-truth-about-absolutely-neutral-and-linear-boosters/

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Have been in love with my Donner Boost Killer for a few years now. Am enamored with the new MXR Boost....can't wait to try one. DBK is the best $30 I've spent on a pedal in a while, but seriously considering the MXR. Great experience with the Phase 100, and always looking to soup up my solo tone.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    IMG_0072.JPG

Found this on Amazon (from a post here but dang if I can find it). Sounds great, halfway up it boosts your existing tone, past that, adds grit and lots of volume. Have to try it at a gig.....

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Exactly, a boost without at least a bass/treble control is never going to be close to neutral, boost here, something else down the lines response characteristics changes 100% of time.

9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I had an earlier version of the Boosta. It was pretty good. I liked the Diaz Texas Ranger I had better.
    I'm not currently using a boost pedal, though. I use my guitar's volume.
    The other guitarist in my sometimes-band uses an MXR Parametric EQ. It works really well for him.

10. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Love my MC401.
    I call it my "More" pedal. It just makes everything louder. Clean and clear.

It's especially effective in front of my Vox AC15, pushing it into that sweet Vox/EL84 overdrive.

See above.

Sure, a boosted signal may, indeed, affect things down the chain. But the tone coming out of the MC401 is the same tone that I put into it, just louder. It's an even boost across the frequency range, i.e., neutral.

11. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Thanks a lot for posting this. I actually think I learned something today.

12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    You could do worse than the EHX LPB or the MXR MicroAmp.

zippofan likes this.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yup. Last in your pedal line...

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    MXR M133 Micro Amp

The "more of me" pedal...tastes great, less filling.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I am by no means an expert but this Mesa (Tone Burst) is a keeper after trying others that have a great reputation.

To me the 4 knobs make all the difference in the world. Whether Tele single coil or my Collings' humbuckers, I find it's fast and easy to adjust for what I want to hear. The standout compared to others I tried is keeping the bass and treble is same as not having the pedal there. It is easy to make the very different guitars both sound great.

[​IMG]

FenderLover likes this.

16. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yes, I think the cleanest is the MXR. and cheap used. Tried many. I like the EP Booster but it colors more.

17. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    You can go a long way with a decent EQ pedal set to boost the mids and upper range ( to suit of course ). The volume control on the guitar can come in handy, as can a wah pedal. Push the nose down for a treble kick and you'll cut through, plus you get to waka-waka at will, which is a bonus.
    I've got a valve based overdrive which is usually set to quite clean boost, with a little grit to it. Best thing about it isn't the marketroid spin that it has a valve in it. That task could just as easily be accomplished with a FET as per innumerable other designs. It has a 3 band tone stack. A very useful 3 band tone stack.
    I can set it to mostly clean, but boosted, tweak the treble up and get the first valve on the amp to do the work for me, or, if I'm using a solid state amp, use it to get the 'overdriven sound'.
    There are many ways to skin a cat. Acetylene and an angle grinder works just as well as a potato tumbler :)

ps.No cats were harmed in the making of this production.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Boosts are incredibly equipment dependent. That's why the single knob units work well for some and not others. It's not about Clean or Linear as much as how it works with your gear.

That's why I'd favor one with EQ control if using the same board with different gear. Otherwise, you keep buying single knob pedals until you find one that works.

Sometimes you'll find an extra OD pedal does the trick if you turn the drive down and the volume up. They usually have a tone control to boot.

19. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I've tried all kinds of boost pedals and, like others here, favor and EQ pedal for boosting solos. I use the VFE Rocket EQ, which I think may be discontinued, but I've heard great things about his new VFE Standout mid-booster.

20. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    Pigtronic Class A on 18v, massive headroom boost even with preamp maxed on a master volume amp, used on many gigs to get over ambitious drummers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.