Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Give me a Boost...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fernandes_tele, Sep 16, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    My two boosts are a BBE Boosta Grande or an LPB-1. I've used others but these work best for me

bendercaster and Minimalist518 like this.

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    There are lots of excellent clean boosts on the market, but I just use my three-knob overdrive pedal.

When I turn the volume up and the drive down, it makes a great clean boost.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    Mosky XP boost is the best 20 bucks I've spent! It's an Xotic Ep clone.

GearHund likes this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Nocturne Atomic Brain. Mystery Brain if you also want a fantastic tape echo.

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    There are a gazillion boost pedals out there......TC Spark (both the big one and the Mini) are great.
    I use a T-Rex Tonebug Boost, before that I had a Reussenzehn Max Röhrig Tube Booster, which was gereat, but needed an extra DC power. The Tonebug is affordable, the TC Mini Spark is also quite low budget, so you can try it out, without spending a fortune.
    The main question is: do you want to add more grit or do you want more volume for a solo etc.?
    If you place a booster in front of your Blues junior, it WILL add more gain to your input, therefore it will add compression to the sound (if not overdriving the input) = it'll change your sound.
    I have my booster in the effect loop to minimize the sound change - of course there will always be a slight change in sound, the "neutral volume boost" is rather.....a myth: http://blog.lehle.com/2017/09/20/the-truth-about-absolutely-neutral-and-linear-boosters/

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Have been in love with my Donner Boost Killer for a few years now. Am enamored with the new MXR Boost....can't wait to try one. DBK is the best $30 I've spent on a pedal in a while, but seriously considering the MXR. Great experience with the Phase 100, and always looking to soup up my solo tone.

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    IMG_0072.JPG

Found this on Amazon (from a post here but dang if I can find it). Sounds great, halfway up it boosts your existing tone, past that, adds grit and lots of volume. Have to try it at a gig.....

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Exactly, a boost without at least a bass/treble control is never going to be close to neutral, boost here, something else down the lines response characteristics changes 100% of time.

9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I had an earlier version of the Boosta. It was pretty good. I liked the Diaz Texas Ranger I had better.
    I'm not currently using a boost pedal, though. I use my guitar's volume.
    The other guitarist in my sometimes-band uses an MXR Parametric EQ. It works really well for him.

10. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Love my MC401.
    I call it my "More" pedal. It just makes everything louder. Clean and clear.

It's especially effective in front of my Vox AC15, pushing it into that sweet Vox/EL84 overdrive.

See above.

Sure, a boosted signal may, indeed, affect things down the chain. But the tone coming out of the MC401 is the same tone that I put into it, just louder. It's an even boost across the frequency range, i.e., neutral.

11. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Thanks a lot for posting this. I actually think I learned something today.

12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    You could do worse than the EHX LPB or the MXR MicroAmp.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yup. Last in your pedal line...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.