Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Give me a Boost...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by fernandes_tele, Sep 16, 2017.

1. fernandes_tele

fernandes_tele NEW MEMBER!

Aug 7, 2017
    California
    So, I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of pedals, and while I tend to subscribe to the Dave Pirner philosophy of pedals ("I have one stomp box and sometimes that's too much"), I'm doing more solo work and am using them to shape my sound. I play my late-'90s Fernandes Tele copy through a '90s Fender Blues Deluxe, and my pedal chain right now has an MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion and my overdrive fluctuates between a Danelectro Cool Cat CO-1 Drive and a Boss BD-2. I tend to use the Drive pedal for a basic crunchy tone and if I need to get more gritty, I pump on the '78. I'm looking to keep my board fairly simple (I'm thinking like 5 pedals, max), and am wondering what the best way to get a clean boost would be.

I have a few ideas: do I want to grab a Soul Preacher (EHX comp/sustain) and set it to a point where it just kicks me up a notch for the solo? Should I switch to using the '78 for crunch and the 'Driver for a boost? Should I TC Spark it? Suggestions?

2. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    parametric eq...something like a vfe rocket....it will boost, and/or shape and also do other things....utility pedal. Or just use your git vol

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It's really hard beat a full size TC Spark for $$$, especially used, last in chain as true clean boost that you can add just hint of grit. Having it's eq shape switch and bass/treble is a essential part of boosting.

It can also be very effective in front of your BD if you've got BD dialed in with some headroom left, roll out some bass and treble and you push it into both a gain and vol boost.

I would recommend it as place to start. Place in different parts of your chain, learn how EQ and boosting go hand in hand how they effect different parts of your chain and find your own way front there. Only with your rig and playing style can final decision be made by you.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    boost.jpg

I had to.

Yea, spark boost is nice and basic. You also get 3 boost options
    Flat, Mid crunch, vox crunch.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

7. Rostlund98

Rostlund98 Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    I'm really happy with my Seymour Duncan pickup booster, so that's what I'll recommend. I picked it up for $30 shipped so it's hard to beat for that price. The resonance switch works wonders for EQing.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    RetroTeleRod likes this.

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    The DOD boost is phenomenal and crazy inexpensive. And it has a switchable buffered/true bypass.

10. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    If you don't want another pedal and don't mind modifying the guitar, I have a Becos Micro Booster in mine and it works amazingly. Basically it turns your guitar volume up to 20 - roll it down half way and you're back where you started, roll it up and it adds up to 20db of signal boost which really pushes any OD pedals/amps you might happen to plugged in to.

My two cents...

Dismalhead likes this.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    So instead of "mine goes to 11" it's "mine goes to 20".

El Tele Lobo likes this.

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Are you primarily interested in adding the grit or adding some volume?

I'm a few-pedals-as-possible guy as well, so I started backing off the volume knob on my guitar to reduce the grit, which obviously allows me to add it back in when I want.

But obviously that doesn't help you with a volume boost. I would 2nd the recommendations for a simple EQ pedal for volume, because it will allow you to do more tone shaping in the future if you so desire, whereas most of the boost pedals are pretty much 1-2 knobs.

Another approach (not necessarily better) would be the EHX Signal Pad, which is simply a preset volume control. If you're unfamiliar, with it fully engaged it's your normal guitar tone at full volume. Back the knob off and it reduces your overall volume/signal. They describe it as a "Passive Attentuator." That would be my choice if you're happy with your current sound, because it won't alter or color it in the slightest.

13. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    The MXR CAE BOOST/LINE DRIVER (MC401) is a great thing. Works brilliantly as a boost for solos. Just brings the volume up with no colouring of the sound.

Also very useful for all kinds of other signal issues.

Iago and crossroader like this.

14. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 15, 2017
    Bedford, UK
    Pretty much! I'm keeping that one in my back pocket...

Though I'm only using 20 as a guesstimate based on what I'm hearing based on an audio taper of the pot :)

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've had a BUNCH of clean boosts over the years. I still find the Fulltone Fat Boost3 hard to beat. I have 2 of them. Nothing stacks better. Equally good before or after an OD. Not noisy. Plenty of tone shaping, can act as purely a lead/Clean volume boost or a low gain IS. Haven't found an amp yet it doesn't play well with.

There's SO many boosts out there, at every price point. I bought my last FB3 for $40, my first for $90. Happy with both deals. Damn good pedal.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I really love my Spark Boost. It sounds great in all three switch positions, plus you can shape the gain and the EQ, which is nice, especially for me, since most of the time I play through a Tweed champ clone... And sometimes a vibrolux clone... Neither of which is known for for their EQ capabilities. I use it for everything from filling out my clean signal; to wringing a little more volume out of my amp, especially while staying clean; to a nice mild overdrive crunch for some of the more rocked-out worship music I do at church. It's super versatile. I love mine.

17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I like simple boosts. The mxr micro amp is my number one.
    A recent one that I really like is a dirt cheap....
    Donner Boost Killer.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

18. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    Graphic EQ pedal.

19. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I am a set up my basic tone with the guitar on 7, turn up for solos, guy. I'ver tried the EQ pedal bit and it worked very well for me.

But, I use a Tim, which has a great boost built in... It adds a good bit of grit to the tone and a little bit of volume boost. But, it only works when the other side of the pedal is on. But, it works really well!

I have a DOD250 that works really well with some amps as that little bit more pedal... It's a preamp pedal like an EP or RC Booster. Of course, it also becomes addicting as an always on pedal too. However, ti seems to have little to no effect (until extreme knob settings are in place) when used with my Catlinbread Topanga reverb pedal (which has it's own preamp thing going on).

Tavo at Nocturne Pedals used to make a pedal called a Billy Brain that was the accompaniment to the Atomic Brain. It is a really nice clean boost! And, mine's tough looking in flat black with the gorilla on it!

Many different ways to get where you have described. EQ pedal is the cleanest and probably the most flexible as well as controllable. You can add only a certain frequencies, you can take out frequencies, etc. Plus, they are just handy pedals to have around, for just that certain tweak.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.