Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Girls Volleyball

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bikersluggo, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    I don't really have a point to make or a question to ask, but I thought I would post on this subject anyway because it takes up a huge amount of my time and I'm curious to see if anyone else here has been involved or has kids involved currently.

My youngest daughter Stephanie is 15 and has been playing organized volleyball since she was 12. If you're not familiar with the way volleyball is organized in the US, basically there is the school season which lasts from August to November and then the club season goes from December to June. Within the club system there are three levels: regional level, American level, and National Level.

Steph played one club season on a regional team as a 12, then moved up to american as 13, and then has played national level the last two years. She's been moving around to different clubs as she improves and moves up. Hopefully she's finally found a good home where she can stay for a couple more seasons.

On the school side, she attends one of the largest public high schools in the state and they are always pretty competitive until about the district level. In junior high, her 7th and 8th grade teams went a combined 45-1 and won the conference tournament both years. This year she was one of 2 freshman to make the varsity team. She didn't get a lot of playing time, but it was still a great experience for her.

Southwest Ohio is sort of a hot bed of volleyball talent. There are 5 all girls Catholic schools in the Cincinnati area that all play in the same league. At one point during the school season Maxpreps had the top 3 teams in that league ranked #1, #6, and #11 nationally. Her school team would have to get through at least two of those teams to ever make it to the state finals. For the last 9 years in a row her school has been the district runner up; losing to one of those teams each year. But these are the girls that she is playing with and competing against during the club season.

She is currently playing on a Cinci area club team that is a 40 min commute from our house. The team has it's issues, but looks pretty good. They are pushing hard to try to qualify for the USAV National Championships that take place in June in Detroit this year. IMG_20170401_211710_585.jpg

ce24, bullfrogblues, Chip and 2 others like this.

2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Good for her :)

Tele1966 likes this.

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Edit: Very cool!

Unfortunately, both my daughters and my older boy are allergic to exercise and work in general.

Tele1966 and troy2003 like this.

4. Bikersluggo

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    She's at a turning point right now. I had a pep talk with her yesterday on the way to practice and told her that she has a lot of potential. She could be an impact player for both her club and her varsity team next season IF she's willing to put in the work. Apparently the whole team got a similar pep talk at the end pf practice yesterday. I don't see her playing in college - she's only about 5'10" and college hitters at the big schools are almost all over 6' unless they can jump out of the gym - but she could have a nice high school career, or she could spend more time on the bench than on the court, all depends on how hard she's willing to work. This season should tell a lot.

Tele1966 likes this.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    my daughter (11) is in it, starting to take it seriously

fortunately for everyone else, she's rather short, so her seriousness has a limit

for the kids to develop, adults have to sacrifice time and money, that's just the way it is

but just as true is the reality that not all kids are cut out for a future in it

Tele1966 likes this.

6. Bikersluggo

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    I am sacrificing a lot of time and money for sure, but it's something I'm willing to do for her to see how far she can take it. The way I look at it is that it's my entertainment budget for the year. We don't see a lot of shows or travel to exotic places, we go to volleyball tournaments...

Since her practices are so long and so far from home, I needed to find something else to do while she's at practice. Right down the block from where she practices is a School of Rock. I start guitar lessons today while she's at practice.

7. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    This is what I tell all my friends regarding high school sports.

If your child has athletic ability, do whatever you can to foster that while they are in JR and SR high school. We probably spent a couple of thousand dollars on specialty camps, private lessons and travel for our oldest daughter's basketball dreams.

She ended up getting a scholarship to play ball on the college level that paid roughly $50K through her four years. My wife and I were talking about this the other day that those were the best invested money that we ever invested.

Chip and Tele1966 like this.

8. Bikersluggo

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Yeah, it's not cheap, but I'm not looking for a big pay-off. She'll probably get much more in academic scholarships than she will in sports. I see it as a symbiotic relationship between sports and academics. She's learning to be part of a team and the value of hard work. It also teaches her time management skills. With all the practices she has to get right on her studies as soon as she gets home.

Tele1966 and elihu like this.

9. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Do not worry about the big schools, a scholarship to a smaller school results in an extended education as well. If she loves to play, playing at a smaller college will allow her to continue playing volleyball. I had a co worker who's daughter was in the same position. Really a top notch high scool volleyball player, but did not have the height for a big scool to take notice. She got a couple full ride offers as well as a hand full of partial offers to smaller schools. See how it goes

10. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Been there done that, club volleyball, high school volleyball, club soccer, high school soccer, traveling softball, high school softball all with two daughters. It was an all consuming endeavor.

Trust me, you will at some point get your life back.

As for college. Our family belief was never pick a college based on athletics, pick it on acedemics. My oldest was offered a full ride to a small not strong academic college. She/we declined and sent her Davis where she played inter-murals nonstop and loved it. It was a good decision, she went on to Northwestern Med school and is now a doctor.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Don’t overlook the possibility of beach volleyball...it’s a fantastic game, with different variables. There are a couple of local twin sisters, the McNamaras, (they’re only 5’9.5”, but very athletic, with that twin, telepathic edge), who’ve won Jr. Olympic silver medals & UCLA scholarships.

Tele1966 likes this.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Our neighbor daughter on travel squad for soccer and basketball. No life, but, they (not sure if kid) love it.

Our travel back in the day (lol) consisted of inner city and burbs and occasional rural team. within 20miles

Enjoy

Tele1966 likes this.

13. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    What is really great about youth sports in America is when the child gets old enough to recognize the politics and bs that goes into whole process, kind of an introduction into the real world. At that point, they either continue or bail out. That is when growth occurs!

Tele1966 likes this.

14. NMore

NMore Tele-Meister

Dec 8, 2017
    Castle Rock
    My daughter is 14 and is on her 4th year playing club level volleyball. Her team has made nationals the last 2yrs. Trust me I know what you mean by it takes up a lot of your time. Maren has 2-3 practices a week which does not include bi-weekly tournaments, and then there are the scrimmages/clinics etc... I love it, and I see my daughter growing into a responsible, dedicated, team oriented person.

Bikersluggo and Tele1966 like this.

15. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Great sport. We watch NCAA and European pro, it's a shame there is not a pro-league in America.

Tele1966 likes this.

16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    There is some truth to this, of course, primarily at the Division I/scholarship level, but it's not a deal-breaker. There are so many opportunities at the DII, DIII and club level for girls to continue to play in college (not the case for the boys). Like you said, if she's willing to put in the work, she can find opportunities to play. Above all, I hope she enjoys it because that's really the most important thing at her age.

Volleyball is such a great game but it is a big commitment to play year round like that in any sport. Credit to her and to her parents! Good luck.

Bikersluggo and Tele1966 like this.

17. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I hate to burst your bubble, but my daughter was valedictorian of her class, had a 4.0 and had completed 21 college credits before she went to college. Her athletic scholarship drastically outweighed her academic scholarships. Almost 10 to 1. Now she was going out of state which did not help in the academic side of things, but going to a four year school and staying on campus can equal $20K or more cost. That is scholarship (do not have to be paid back) and not including loans (which has to be paid back).

We had a kid the other day brag about how he did four years of college and never had to take a summer job or work while he was in school. I said he must have had some great scholarships and he said he had received two his first two years and one his last two years. The first two years paid out $2500 annually, and the last two years he got a grand annually. I asked him how he was able to go to school and not work and he said he had taken out a few loans. He will have a wake up call when he graduates this spring and has to get a job to pay those babies back.

I tell all of my friends, if your kid can play a sport well. Work on the jumper, wrister, stroke, tackle, block, spike, throw, hit, etc in whatever sport they are playing. And get solid B's.

Chicago Matt likes this.

18. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I think the most important thing about kid sports, regardless of the level, is to let the kid make the decision regarding continuing playing or quitting the sport.

Bob M, Bikersluggo and whoanelly15 like this.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    My niece played for years at a modestly competitive level. She enjoyed it and had a few nice overseas travel experiences, that would have been otherwise unaffordable. Too short even for her H.S. team (5’2) she only played for a club after starting in a rec & parks program. She plays heavy duty pick up at the Y while attending the local CC on a “ keep the smart kids here” scholarship , hopes to play for a school club after transferring to a 4 year, but is realistic about looking for a school w/strong intermural program. Many ways to reach a goal, it’s imprtant to be realistic, while working hard and looking for opportunities.

Tele1966 likes this.

20. Bikersluggo

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    My thinking is similar. We talk about college often and have already been to visit quite a few (my older daughter is a senior this yr.). Right now Steph is leaning towards a bigger school. I have noticed that if you really love the sport and want to play in college you can find a place at a smaller school. Not much in sports scholarships at DIII or NAIA schools though.

Her H.S. team graduated 8 seniors last year and almost all of them had the opportunity to play somewhere in college if they wanted. Some of them rode the bench most of the season but still ended up playing at smaller schools.

Tele1966 and Chicago Matt like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.