Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Giovanni (artec) pickup experiences?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jericho75, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Jericho75

Jericho75 Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2011
    Chicago
    Bought a set of their Vsoap p90's a few years back and never installed them until recently. I was pretty shocked and amazed with the tone of both pickups. Comparing with my 60's Les Paul tribute's stock pups, they were about the same in output but had more clarity and top end(glassy?), yet still warm and rounded. I was so impressed, I just bought a set of the Giovanni GCS-1 strat sets and will soon be getting those installed my MIM.

Has anyone else had experience with this line of pickups? If I end up loving the strat set, I may get the set of GVS-1 buckers for my Flying v.

2. Jericho75

Jericho75 Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2011
    Chicago
    No one huh? Am I the only one?

3. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    Afraid not, although I have used a few pickups in a similar price range (probably from the same factory) and been pleased. Getting these budget pickups can be a bit of a risk but so far they have all been OK. The Mighty Mite Strat pickups I have are fantastic.

I still go for Bare Knuckle Pickups when I can afford them but often these after market Chinese ones are an improvement on many stock pickups in very cheap guitars, and it seems even the odd Gibson!

4. Jericho75

Jericho75 Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2011
    Chicago
    Well for what it's worth, I installed the Giovanni gcs-1 set in my mim strat today. Instantly amazed by every aspect of these pups. I have owned lawrence(Wilde) keystones, 280's, 290's, 298's, 1 GFS offering, tex mex, and hot noiseless. Out of those, it would be real hard to remove these "cheap" budget pups to replace with one of those. Sure they may not be lollars or BKP's, but I'd love to hear an a/b and see if the extra $$ is actually worth it. Honestly, I seriously doubt it.
    Anyway, it's only my opinion and (Gump's voice) that's all I gotta say about that.

skypeace likes this.

5. Old_Skool_Noma

Old_Skool_Noma TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Athens, Ohio
    I wanted to get their tele set but the US dealer doesn't sell them, Ive heard that GFS PUs are made by Artec though, Ive been sorely tempted to get a set of the GFS PUs

6. Jericho75

Jericho75 Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2011
    Chicago
    Gfs is made by artec as far as I know, and I have had gfs pups. But even though this "series" or whatever are artec made, they are very different in construction. FWIW the only GFS pup I liked was the mean 90.

7. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    GFS, Artec, Giovanni, some Kent Armstrong, Entwistle et-al
    I suspect they have a lot in common. Price and marketing seem to differ a fair bit mind...
    Artec usually being the lowest cost. What with being the actual manufacturer and all.

There may be more fundamental differences, but its hard to imagine what, or why even.

8. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2008
    UK
    I put some Giovanni 60's pickups in my Fender Japan Strat, replacing the ceramic originals. I think they are pretty good.

9. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I got some artec t0@$ters for my Ric 360 as a replacement for the higains. The improvement is huge but I didn't get any thumbs up at the Ric board I tell you...

They are staying in though and I feel no need to go for the genuine thing, so I guess that's a thumbs up from me.

10. Page1

Page1 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2013
    London
    Hi Jericho75,

I have installed the Artec Giovanni vintage alnico set
    Into this having listened to lots of others
    And I am really pleased as they really do rock and have
    A great vintage tone.

Cheers J

Attached Files:

11. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    This one, right? I use the bridge pickup (GVT-1) in my #1 with hb sized P-90 (the seller sold it as Wilkinson but maybe it's Axesrus Show Stopper). Great pickups ... and cheap too.

12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Horsham, UK
    I got an Artec p90 dogear in my LPJ copy which sounds great. Even more so when the price of the pups was under 20 pounds (30 dollars). They are great sounding units.

At the time I then went a little mad and bought four more of the p90s which have sat waiting for a home for several years. I have at last two Guitars in the end process for them now - a Pinecaster deluxe with a strat bridge and a guitar based on a bastardised Les Paul shape built from the remnants of my sister's conservatory.

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England

14. Page1

Page1 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2013
    London
    Yes you're right that's the ones

I think that tone also resides in your fingers
    Within reason,great pickups they are indeed
    And for the cash they are a no brainier
    For Tele pickups.

Cheers
    J

15. Page1

Page1 TDPRI Member

Mar 19, 2013
    London
    Has anyone tried there acoustic
    Pickups/preamps?

Cheers
    J

16. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    You may have used them without realising it, they get re-badged, a lot.

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Watch out, John Hall should be knocking on your door at any moment...

gcat likes this.

18. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    I spent the weekend working on two Artec 'mudbucker' sidewinder bass pickups. Both were wired incorrectly and both had the magnets fitted the wrong way.

19. jefrs

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England

20. lowbrow

lowbrow TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I recently installed the GCV-1 set (standard Tele singles) in my Fender parts caster. It's only been a couple weeks, but so far I'm digging them. Allegedly Formvar wire and staggered AlNiCo5 magnets. I'm still in the process of comparing them head to head with two other Teles Ive got, one with American Standard pickups, the other with the Seymour Duncan STL-1b Broadcaster set. Initial impressions are very good. Plus, I picked them up from some shop on ebay cleaning out their parts drawer for $10 each. I was surprised they where designed for English hardware (screws) and not metric.

bender66 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.