Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gilmour Workmate replica.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Pink_Floydfan91, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Pink_Floydfan91

Pink_Floydfan91 TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I received my body today. It's a two piece swamp ash body. I also have all of my body hardware but the neck plate. I'm waiting for a buddy to wind the pickups. I'm going for a replica of David Gilmour's '55 esquire.

Now on to my main questions.

How well does Sherwin Williams LoVOC lacquer work for relic work?

Second, how well would an eight gallon air compressor work for spraying bodies? I've used it to spray necks without much build up time while I was spraying and pulling down the tank.

I've also shot the body with a Preval sprayer to give it a wash coat of Dewaxed Shellac.

IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG

Tonetele likes this.

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Check this out:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/completed-motor_city_tele-2014-build-challenge-gilmour-workmate.467557/

I've done it with a small compressor, just wait for the build up then spray so you have proper atomization. I used a 4oz detail gun from Harbor Freight with success. It's not pro but it works. The 4oz gun is calibrated for 3 or so CFMs and at 25-30psi my 5 gallon compressor pushes 3 to 3.5 CFMs.
    I've used the SW in a Pre-Val for a clear coat with success. (which could mean you could do your color coats in shellac and top with nitro
    I've gotten checking on the SW using the freezer, had to build a stand to hold the guitar so it wasn't touching anything in the freezer. It was O.k. which is much better than trying the air can thing which did not work.
    If you want a flat finish, no graining visible you should do a few rounds of grain fill and then re-seal with shellac.

3. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Thanks. I actually have a quart of Aqua Coat grain filler coming. I'm planning to use nitro for my sealer and color/clear coats. I just used the Shellac as a wash coat. I've got an 8 gallon compressor so it should work for the body.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Somewhere around here is a finish schedule that involves getting the primary color down for a burst and then doing a layer of clear nitro on top of that then coming back and bursting with the shellac, and the reason they burst with the shellac is because if you mess up you just wipe it off with denatured alcohol and start over without losing the rest of your work. They then topped the burst with more nitro. Might be worth a shot if you're on a tight budget, nitro is $$$, shellac, not so much.

5. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I finished my grain filler then, I sprayed two coats of Sherwin Williams LoVOC lacquer sealer today. I really like how it lays down and flows out.

IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG

6. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    That's a nice looking body. Where did you source it? How much does it weigh?

7. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Thanks. It's a Guitar Mill body. It weighs right at four pounds.

8. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    The weather actually cooperated today and I sprayed two coats of amber tinted lacquer for the burst today. I'll proceed tomorrow with red and hopefully black

IMG_2321.JPG

9. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I got my burst red and the black sprayed today. It's my first burst and I didn't use a template. I used a 4oz touch up gun for the red and my dual action air brush for the black. Then the weather turned too humid to lay on any clear.

IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2330.JPG

10. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    Four coats of clear later it's done. Just got to wait for it to "gas off" then I'll wet sand and polish.

IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG

11. Pink_Floydfan91

Apr 15, 2009
    Burlington, NC
    I wet sanded and polished the body this morning. Then this evening I relic'd the body. It's not exact as Gilmours but it looks good to me.

IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG

12. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    It all looked really nice, until that last picture - yikes!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.