Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gigs in weird places

Discussion in 'US Gig Alerts' started by Matt Sarad, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Our bassist belongs The the Bakersfield Track Club. He wants us to play for the second annual Bakersfield Marathon. He says the organizers are excited to have us play along the course.

We set up at 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning. Low 40s but dry. Start playing at 8.

I guess we would be better off at the finish line, but?

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    They do a Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon here, I think they have them on tour like circuit. But yeah, bands from start to finish. The first year I could hear them at 6 AM. That was a bit early

Matt Sarad likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    We played in a jail once. That was a trip... armed guards and everything.

4. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    I power-walked Richmond, Va's Monument Avenue 10k one year and they had about a dozen bands sprinkled throughout the course. As a walker, it was enjoyable, I don't think I'd get much out of it running, but they also keep the spectators amused.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  5. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    Charlottesville, va
    I don't know if you'd call it weird, but we played a pre-game gig for a football game at UVA's Scott Stadium. The pay was just passable, the logistics were a pain in the butt, the stadium staff was rude (par for the course for UVA). And, because it was sprinkling, they set us up in a concourse under the stands where the sound was atrocious. We politely declined an offer to play there again the following year.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  6. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    gigs on boats are a trip - and I've done the outside the ballpark thing too - once in a hockey arena -brrrrrr

7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

That is awesome! Your name isn't Elwood or Jake is it?

Kreepy and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    Did a pickup at a biker rally once. It was nice of no one to tell me what the gig was before I went :confused:

Matt Sarad likes this.
  9. Jonnyb73

Jonnyb73 TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2016
    Norwich NY
    I played a funeral. I don't recommend it. When I finished the song, people seemed confused about whether they should clap or not. I'm not sure what the educate is either. Also played on a train.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2003
    We are the only band on the route. Playing on the sidewalk and parking spaces close to power and about a hundred feet from the course atop a levee.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I am playing a public library in Hurst, Tx in about an hour.
    That's kinda weird.

12. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Played on a pontoon boat on the Mississippi south of Savanna Illinois, north of lock and Dam #13. Close to the main channel and tows kept rocking the (pontoon) boat. Had a "quiet" generator on board and used one amp for guitar and vocals, 'nother one for bass. Burlington RR Mainline was about 1/4 mile away and train horns added to our mix.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I played at the Cleary School for the Deaf once. Not joking. They told us to turn up the bass so the people who were totally deaf could feel the vibrations. It was actually a fun gig.

14. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Played a mountain bike race in the foothills outside of town about 15 years ago. Paid pretty good. Played public libraries a couple of times too.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    We have one in Philly.
    I played it.
    It was a fun, all-day gig that started EARLY.
    I think the Kenyan's had already won and were on their way to the next one by the time we started playing at about 8:30a.m.
    Everybody running by gave us a big smile and a thumbs-up.
    Nobody heard is for more than 20 seconds.
    We could have played the same tune all day and nobody would have noticed.

16. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Correctional facility gigs are super.
    At least the ones I've been associated with.
    Through late '90s into the 'aughts I assisted w/ 4th of July day gigs at McNeil Island (medium security) along w/ a felon-friendly biker trio and a couple of additional bands we'd invite to join us.
    Inmate bands sat in w/ the "outside guests" after all had played their own sets.
    Very friendly.
    Hard to document for pics/promo, however, as they were very stern about camera use, for administrative and security reasons, I assume.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Peace - Deeve

3-Chord-Genius and Matt Sarad like this.
  17. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Not all that weird, but I have played an assisted living facility. It was a great gig with a very appreciative audience.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  18. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2003
    I did the funeral gig for a best friend’s Mom who I was very close to. He built the acoustic I played. My nose ran and my eyes were teared up the whole time, but the sound was incredible. The sanctuary had a huge pipe organ and the pa was designed to fill a huge room. My guitar sounded like it was 50 feet tall.

Deeve likes this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I was doing some contract work in an assisted living facility a couple of months ago and there was a guy they brought in to entertain the residents, a one-man band thing like you see in the movies: kick drum on his back, strumming a guitar, somehow controlling a bunch of other instruments, and he sang too. Sounded pretty friggin' good, actually.

20. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2015
    NE, Ohio
    I went with a group of black folks - musicians and some dancers - to play for the inmates at the state reformatory in Mansfield when I was in my early 20's. It was in the gymnasium - we were set up on the gym floor and the bleachers on both sides were filled. I didn't think much of it, but man, the looks you get from some of the inmates as you're heading back out the door to freedom. :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.