Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gigging is the ace up your sleeve

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Live performance is your insurance, wellspring, the hive-haven that perpetually orbits your realm and purpose around the intangibles of potential opportunity.

Consider the oysters at your feet of laurel-lights past, the conducting mastery that directed eyes to a carousel of serendipity. It is GOOD to be the lion.

For no other reason (assuming that you have diligently developed your talents over time,) this public display of you AT YOUR BEST is your buffer against the various social contingencies that continually seek to jeopardize the other capacities of your life.

The teddy-bear and false-humility mentality is beguiled into taking yet another one for the team, sacrificing toil, duty, and years of grind-stoning for popular expectations that wring the blood from the clay in the end.

It is distasteful to submit to a future and format that compels the cannibalization of hard-won assets, in the draining grist-time surrendering the one razor-sharp weapon that guarantees solidarity and means.

Is it really necessary to lose the very things that opened dragon-eyes and seduced you into the lock-it-down comforts that demanded your compliance and complacency in the grand social matrix of settling?

A player who is the master of their element has the dangerous capacity to pique the imaginations of the swarm, and therein lies a secret to leveraging yourself away from the wiles of cultural norms, which do not have your best interest at heart.

Ponder the power and gravity that your years of dedication can instill compartmentally across the platforms of your interactions, the circles of your regrets, as a formidable tool to negotiate for more of YOUR imperative.

Stubee, drlucky, teleaddicted and 6 others like this.
  2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
  3. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Play your game with YOUR currency.

Stubee likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Yea. What he said.
    and him

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    brookdalebill, 1955 and 6stringcowboy like this.
  5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Couldn't agree more.

The ability to play, entertain, or inspire others is what gives us that 'something' above the day-to-day merry-go-round of work, sleep, tax.

Nickadermis and 1955 like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I play out rarely, but all of my playing is focused on it.

Deciding to get used to singing and playing at the same time was THE BEST MUSICAL THING I'VE EVER DONE. Nothing else has lit a fire under me like that has.

1955 and Nickadermis like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’m in.
    I’m always in.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    My band has been holed up all winter working on new material and I'm itching to get back out.

We've got a gig in the Park here in early march and then in mid-March we fly to Texas to do 4 or 5 in Austin during the Red Gorilla festival, which is some sort of spin-off of SWSX or something like that.

That should be fun, probably a lot of work too....

drlucky, 1955 and Nickadermis like this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    This.

For me... playing live music to an audience is the creative outlet, the antidote against that thing that happens when society and culture attempt to damage who I am.

10. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Aug 6, 2016
    Largo, Fl
    Well put my poetic friend ......

I'll have what He's having !

11. 1955

Apr 10, 2010
    Know your strength, use your strength.

For those who gave up gigging, for idealistic convention or maybe even through benevolent neglect, perhaps you have found yourself where many have: betrayed by your beneficiaries, having to start over on the jagged treacheries of modern living, a mere shadow of the player and person you used to be.

Take back your life, what you have lost, take yourself back from the smolder that opportunistic entities pilfered from your storehouse!

Let others see you doing what you do best, and from the Phoenix of your self-preservation, honor your spirit and stake out the life you have earned.

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    The only audience I currently have is my children. This leads to audience participation.

1955 and brookdalebill like this.
  13. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    I've missed it, but i'm getting me and it back soon.

1955 likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It's the only thing I do that MIGHT lead to panties on the stage.

But of course it's the singer that always gets the hottest girls.

1955 and Jakedog like this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    yeah, there's always that thought, well, I ain't much, just sort of average, but then there's those two kinds of moments - when the room goes quiet, because everyone is listening or the room goes crazy, 'cuz evabody dancin'. those are the moments for me.

Right now, I'm only doing 6 or 7 gigs a month as a part-timer and about to pick up another once-a-month. About all I can handle at the moment and still show up for work every morning.

drlucky, william tele and 1955 like this.
  16. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Jun 4, 2003
    Oakland, Ca.
    Six gigs in a month would be a lot for me these days!
    "Right now, I'm only doing 6 or 7 gigs a month as a part-timer and about to pick up another once-a-month. About all I can handle at the moment and still show up for work every morning."[/QUOTE]

teletimetx and 1955 like this.
  17. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Just need a couple more stars to line up. Just a couple. I can still run. Itchy feet.

1955 likes this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    It's the years of grind-stoning and draining grist-time that enabled me to help others, including my children.

I'm not much of a performer. Is it okay if I still play the guitar and sing?

1955 likes this.
  19. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    :eek:o_O Huh?!? :eek:o_O Uh...I don't know about all of that...but I'm digging gigging, too! ;)

1955 likes this.
  20. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Sounds like you have wrested yourself from a situation (relationship) that wasn't allowing you to get up onstage and shine and now you're back in the high life again. (Or do I not get your drift)? :)

1955 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.