Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gigging for a living?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chiefline, Sep 11, 2017.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Some time in the late '70s I came across a book about the Who that had a photo of PT in one of his home studios, he had a little four piece drum kit & a PR & some other stuff all up under the rafters.

It was like the sea had parted, THIS is what I want! It's taken me a while to get there, but that is pretty much where I am. I play out less and less, my wife would like me to stop completely and concentrate on friends and family. I have all the stuff and even a bunch of basic tracks I just need to get motivated to finish & mix, & get it out there..

Reggie77 likes this.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Yeah, I don't envy you guys in Austin. It's like NY or Nashville or LA. Just get too saturated. Everybody starts undercutting each other just to be able to play, and before you know it, nobody is getting paid.

I've been in towns like that. If you don't wanna play for $20 and a burger, there's 30 other guys that will. So you take what you can get.

3. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    No danger of that. It's a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Meister

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Gigs are great for walking around $~but I sure like sleeping
    in my own bed at night:)

Jakedog likes this.

5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    A year ago I paid three excellent Austin musicians $1500 to drive five hours to Terlingua and play at my son's wedding reception. They brought the PA, too.

6. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    That's a super good price for three excellent musicians playing a travel wedding. You made out like a Bandit!

7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    It was great. Someone asked the band to let my wife and I play a song. To our surprise, we were called to the stage and I was handed a guitar. My wife sang Blues for Dixie and really nailed it. As we were walking away, I heard one of the musicians say, "Well, that went a lot better than I expected."

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Harry, did you ever make a post about the wedding? I recall you looking for players. Sounds like it went well?

9. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I do it up here in MA. We play between 150-200 shows a year. I'm not the guy in charge of money, but each guy gets $200 a gig. We play mostly in Boston, but do bi-weekly gigs in Maine and New York as well. Oddly enough we're also sponsored by Bud Light. Not my favorite beer, but they put us on some pretty big bills a few times a year and gave us a tour van. Last year we played different colleges for SCC football games every Saturday. The Battle at Bristol opening up for Sam Hunt was the first one. We played during commercials of ESPN's College Game Day. Haha.
    It slows down considerably during the winter up here, but having a few weekly gigs keeps my bills paid. It's the summers where we make a killing and I foolishly buy new gear, tools, and other dumb stuff.

Jakedog, soulgeezer and william tele like this.

10. kLyon

kLyon TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    A lot of you have nailed it: it's the end of an era.
    Live music no longer has the value it once did.
    I've been playing professionally for over 40 years. I played in Florida bar bands before college; jazz on cruise ships and calypso at hotels in college; many bands (Reading Festival at one point, among many others...) over many years, many records, many recording sessions.
    I've been about everywhere in the world.
    (Not India: I guess they don't need us... but Australia, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, China, all the 'stans, South America, every country in Europe more times than I can recall... I was in Moscow a month ago...)
    I'm amazed that it still works: a casual gig in LA - where I live - pays the same $100 dollars I made playing calypso on Miami Beach 40 years ago. (Unfortunately the rent has gone up in the interim.))
    I guess we live as long as we're supposed to; no reason to lament that reality, sad as it is.
    My old friend the pianist Jim Ehinger was doing a session for me a couple of years ago, and the young singer asked him, "When are you going to retire?"
    He laughed. "Retire? A musician, retire? I have no 401k and no health insurance. I'll die on stage. Like I"m supposed to."
    I think we're the last generation to be able to live this life, such as it is.
    Not much of a future, but one hell of a past.

11. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    I get plenty of gigs at 69 years old. I've been doing this with out a break since I was 15 in 1963.
    I always get work and I'm on top of my game, playing better than ever.
    Now I have to add: It's a lot physically harder than it used to be and I often don't want to leave the house and do it.
    It is a job and there is no retirement. It can still be fun; the good gigs that is.

I don't require much materially and have been to a lot of cool places and acquired a lot of great friends.
    I own a modest place, a decent car and have three great grown children.
    No complaints but it's not for everyone; not for sissies.

S Mac

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Jakedog, william tele and ce24 like this.

12. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I talked to a friend of mine who gigs all over town. He's about 40 and still lives with his mother. I asked where his next gig was and he said in a town out in the sticks. No pay but they were getting free food and it was going to be really good food. What the heck?

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I think being a working musician is a calling.
    You either do it, and accept all of it's, uh, charms, or you opt for a more comfortable lifestyle.
    I identify myself as a musician, and I accept the consequences.
    Too late to change now, and, of course, I don't want to.

Jakedog and william tele like this.

14. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Clubs here don't even pay anymore, you just play and get a few drink tickets. This is Atlanta! I've been "gigging" for 26 years. Yes in the 90's we made a decent amount of money but those days are over.
    My buddy plays in a bunch of cover bands and they get paid. I'm not into that, I don't want to play U2 all night.
    Bottom line it's tougher than it used to be. I don't tour much now but I love to play out. You have to do it because you love it.

Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.

15. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Here in CDA Idaho the booking agents have it locked up..... You really can't go anywhere and promote yourself and book your own gigs.

16. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    July 1977 was my first paying gig, and this is all I've done now for 40 years. I'm planning on giving it another 20 years and see how it goes.

brookdalebill and Jakedog like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.