Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Gibson SG Neck Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by teleman78, Feb 22, 2012.

1. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

I recently got a 2003 Gibson SG Standard, I usually play Telecasters but I wanted a Gibson SG for a while, I got it and really dig the way the neck feels and I like the bridge pick up, however, I find the neck Humbucker to be unusable. It's just moody and dark sounding. The neck pick up is what I use mostly on my Teles so I have decided to replace the neck pickup on the SG with a P90 style humbuker. I'm torn between the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat and the Fralin P-92.. The Fralin costs twice as much as the SD. I've read great things about both and I was hoping I can get some pointers. I want my neck pick up to have some spank and will mostly use it in clean settings and maybe some light overdrive at times.

Thanks so much,

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Before doing anything drastic, try a treble bleed circuit mod
    and/or a 50/60 wiring Gibby wiring config.

3. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about, if you could explain in detail I'd appreciate it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

In other words - you should re-wire the guitar or add another capacitor to the circuit for that pick-up.

But that won't give you more top end on your neck pick-up because at full treble on the tone control it will still sound the same. The neck p/u should retain more top end or react differently when you turn down the tone control but it won't put back the highs that the p/u doesn't have when the control is wide open.

I had a tech put a treble bleed into a 68 tele with humbuckers and it killed the personality of the guitar - got tinny and too much top end.

Was thinking of putting phat cats into an Epi SG cause the originals got to go - wanted one axe that weighed nothing.

Am looking for a Gibson SG with P-90s and an Ebony fretboard, don't know if it was ever made that way.

6. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the explanation, you just saved me going that route for nothing.

I'm really leaning towards the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat for my neck, I will keep the humbuker on the bridge.. I was just wandering if would be worth to spend the extra $70.00 for the Fralin P-92? My gut tells me to go with the Phat Cat though..

7. Bartholomew3

I have Seymour Duncans on a 74 Les Paul Custom - Jazz neck & JB bridge.

The sound is exceptional and personally would not pay double for something else. I don't see the point.

With a drummer and full band plus a couple of pedals going nobody would know the difference IMHO and in any event it would be minimal.

How much better could they possibly be for almost twice the price ?

Before you pay for a pick-up perhaps you should have a good tech check it out. I had a vintage tele that was mud on the neck and never connected to the tone control. They were made that way intentionally.

8. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

I have the same set of seymour Duncan's in one of my guitars and I love them

9. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

Ok.. I saw they had a 10% off coupon at Musicians Friend today so I pulled the trigger on the SD Phat Cat for the Neck, for the price it just makes sense for me at this point. I will post some pictures and a review after I get it installed.

Thanks for your help guys.

10. Bartholomew3

I wanted to put a set of them into an Epi SG400 so am interested in the results here.

11. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

Excellent! No problem, I will let you know for sure.

12. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Meister

Alright guys, here is the scoop; I've had the Gibson SG with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat on the neck for about a month and honestly I can't say anything bad about the pick up except the hum which is obvious it being a single coil. The pick up has a the perfect balance between warmth and chime and it does do the P90 thing quite well. The only other pick up I can compare this to that is equivalent that I have tried in the past would be a Lollar Single Coil for Humbucker pick up which I had installed on a Gibson Les Paul a few years ago, I must say that the SD Phat Cat is much better to my ears. It's closer to the Fender chime than the Lollar and it's half the price! All in all the pick up is staying in the SG, I dig it quite a bit. Here is a picture of the SG with the Phat cat in the neck... Enjoy!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.