Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by TeleBrew, Sep 29, 2013.

1. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    SX Callisto Jr. Electric Guitar in a beautiful Canarie Yellow Color with a set in neck and P-90 pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SX Callisto Jr. guitar Review and Demo

Premier Guitar review-
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/SX_Callisto_Jr-

SX Callisto Jr. review for Premier Guitar
    By Will Ray
    October 18, 2011

"Okay, I confess: I do a daily search for SX guitars on eBay. Why? Because I’ve owned SX axes before and know they’re built solid and they’re cheap. I was first turned on to SX guitars by my neighbor Martin, who started buying them four years ago. Whenever I played one of his SX electrics, I was always surprised at their quality relative to their price. So I bought my first SX a few years ago just to test the waters and was quietly blown away. I currently own four SX guitars . . . and counting.

[​IMG]

This SX model really captured my attention when I saw it floating around on the ’Bay. Obviously inspired by a Les Paul Special, this baby has a set neck (no bolt-on here!), two P-90-style pickups, a rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, and a “TV yellow” finish. An outfit in California called Rondo Music sold these guitars brand-spanking-new for $135, plus $20 shipping. Say what? How can anyone make a profit on that? Sorry, man—not my problem. I’m a bottom feeder. So I pulled the trigger on one.

The guitar arrived a week later, well boxed. When I unpacked it, I’m sure my face showed some disappointment. The classic “TV yellow” color was actually closer to “crime-scene-tape yellow”—a much brighter yellow than I remembered in the photos. I sighed and chalked it up to the unpredictable ways digital cameras and computer monitors display color.

When I started playing this SX, things got better fast. It seemed to have a comfortable neck very similar to my 1990s Gibson LP Special. The jumbo frets were smooth and rounded, the 12" fretboard radius felt nice to bend strings on, and the pickups sounded very good, with that pronounced midrange P-90 honk I so like. Some players buy these guitars and replace the pickups with authentic Gibson P-90s, but I say, “Why bother?” These sound close enough.

Bottom Feeder Tip # 2387: If the original pickups sound decent, leave well enough alone. Whenever you upgrade pickups on a cheap guitar, you never get your money back when you sell it later. Never.

So what’s the verdict—is it a keeper? Hmm. Not really sure yet. It plays and sounds great, but I still have trouble with the color. I’m hoping the bright yellow will fade over time. For now, this guitar is in my “maybe” pile."

Flaneur and jvin248 like this.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Relic that crime tape yellow SX into something else. There are a lot of good guitars that get dismissed for low price...

Flaneur likes this.

3. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    2007 Gibson LP Special.
    IMG_0957.JPG

4. BadTranslate

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    2012 Bacchus SP-II/P-90 Live Road model, Les Paul Special style guitar. Very finely crafted MIJ instrument that has a gorgeous, one piece Mango wood body. It features P-90 pickups, and a nice rounded neck profile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    My 1977 Les Paul Model Special Limited Edition.
    It was paint stripped down to mahogany when I got from my Bass player. rattle canned it black in the early 80's

3-DSCN2435.JPG

9-DSCN2441.JPG

1-Vollbildaufzeichnung 30.05.2017 114857.jpg

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

8. BadTranslate

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    Agile AD-2300

Agile AD-2200

Douglas Classic TV (Banana) Yellow

Vox Pathfinder 15R and Douglas Classic w/ P-90s

"This is a little demo of how a stock dual-P90 guitar (Douglas Classic) can have pretty versatile sounds through a Pathfinder 15R. This whole rig costs $268 total. Recorded with a Zoom H2."

Brian Krashpad likes this.

9. BadTranslate

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    1993 Hamer Modern Vintage Special.

"The Modern Vintage Special (1992-1998)

Rare hard to find Color

Made in the USA!

Model / MPN:

P-90

Serial No.: 333599

The original Hamer Special appeared in early 1980. It was Hamer's third guitar model, after the Standard and Sunburst. But it was no new design. The shape of the Special (and Sunburst) was loosely based on the double-cut Gibson Les Paul Special of the fifties. The Special was simply a Sunburst without body binding, all other details being exactly the same as the contemporary Sunburst: mahogany body and three-piece neck with a thin maple top, and the same hardware.

Features: (via manufacturer)

1993 Hamer Special Modern Vintage

As taken from the original Hamer Special Modern Vintage print ad.

This instrument is Raw, rugged and ready to rock with a touch of the blues. Each Special is hand-made in Hamer's Chicago area workshop from choice Honduras mahogany to give it a fat, raunchy tone that will raise your heartbeat and drive your musical imagination.

Crafted from solid Mahogany, the Special's body and neck are hand fitted with classic dove-tail joints. This is in order to provide the kind of resonance and natural sustain that can clearly be heard, even un-amplified. The rosewood fingerboard has dot inlays and twenty-two medium oval frets, polished to perfection. All of the Hamer touches are here: Lubritrak nut, Schaller tuners, full RF shielding, and all American made electronic components.

You'll appreciate the perfect balance and straight forward design, with all the controls in easy reach. The custom wound soapbars add the ideal bite to the Special's sweet woody sustain, and the tone contour control dials in "woman tone" just like that.

• All mahogany construction,
    • Tune-o-matic type bridge with stop tailpiece
    • Two Seymour Duncan P90 Soapbar pickups
    • Tuners are smaller sized standard Schallers
    Technical Specs:

Top Wood:
    Mahogany
    Back Wood:
    Mahogany
    Scale:
    24 3/4"
    Nut Width:
    1 11/16"
    Setup High E: 2/32"
    Setup Low E: 2/32"
    Serial Number: 333599
    Neck Wood:
    Mahogany
    Fretboard:
    East Indian Rosewood
    Bridge:
    Tune-o-matic type bridge with Stop Tailpiece
    Headstock Overlay:
    Black
    Headstock Inlay:
    MOP Hamer Logo
    Tuners:
    Schallers
    Inlays:
    Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
    Neck Profile:
    Vintage Round
    Pickup(s):
    2X Seymour Duncan P90
    Pickup Controls:
    2 Volume, Tone, 3 way toggle
    Case: Original Hardshell Case Included

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. elskipper

elskipper TDPRI Member

May 22, 2012
    California

11. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    2011 with ebony fretboard and 2006 faded.

[​IMG]

12. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    IMG_1925[1].JPG Epiphone Lacquer series Les Paul Special. Not your run of the mill Epiphone. The lacquer series were made at the Fujigen factory in Japan between 2005-2007. Top notch craftsmanship. I also have a LP JR. from this series. I like these because they have nice fat necks. I hate the skinny ass necks on recent Gibson Juniors and Specials. Shelf type neck joint, ABR bridge, nice slab of mahogany. I like that the finish isn't mustardy. It's a greenish yellow and you can see the grain through it. The lacquer series are really superb guitars. Got my eye out for an SG, but they are really rare.

Attached Files:

13. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I did not get a hardcase when I bought my LPS new. Is it only Custom Shop versions that get a hardcase?

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    You should have at least gotten a gig bag, but Gibson sometimes gives cases--sometimes gig bags, with lower priced guitars. But pretty much always one or the other.

15. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA
    Yeah, a lot of lower-priced Gibbies come with a gigbag instead. My ebony singlecut LP Special (technically a "Jr. Special," but I refuse to use such a stupid self-contradictory term) came with a gigbag. I have a slightly older 2011 doublecut Les Paul Special I bought from a friend that has a Gibby hardshell case, which I assume it came with.

So it just depends on the particular model. But any new LP ought to come with one or the other. Even the cheapo 2017 "S Series" (M2, "SG Fusion," "Firebird Z," etc.) came with gigbags.

16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I did get a gig bag, just made of rough canvas (not like my PRS gig bags, they know how to make really good gig bags!) I kept my Special in the gig bag for some time and the faded black finish wore off the edges of the body straight down to the mahogany. Kind of a light relic-ing effect. I wasn't happy at first but used to it now. Extra mojo free of charge!

Thing is, it is quite hard to get just the right hard case for a Special. I recently got a flight case for it but it doesn't have the depth to comfortably fit the back tilting head stock.

17. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA

I always sell the Gibby gigbags and get hardshell cases for my setnecks. I haven't had any problem with Les Paul cases fitting Specials. Most have an angled pad under the upper body area to support the guitar at an angle, and are several inches deep to accomodate the headstock angle coming back down towards the bottom of the case. I do have a particularly shallow old Univox hardshell case that I use for my Epi LP Special Singlecut (this is a setneck, not the more recent boltneck Epiphone Special) that doesn't have the angled pad under the top half of the guitar body section. I just put an old t-shirt under the guitar so it's well supported.
    [​IMG]

Southpole likes this.

18. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2009
    USA
    My new-to-me '56 Special. The body was restored after a previous owner had sanded down (beveled) all the edges, front & back. Refinished in TV Yellow. MojoAxe tail piece and pick guard. Original pickups, pots and wiring... sounds incredible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BadTranslate

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    Gibson Custom 2017 Limited Run Les Paul Special Double Cut

Gibson Custom 2017 Limited Edition Les Paul Special Single Cut

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.