Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by TeleBrew, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Okay, so maybe I missed it, but I scrolled through all eleven pages of this forum and didn't find a Les Paul Special club, which surprised me. I just picked up this one.

Attached Files:

ifallalot and BadMojo like this.
  2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    .....and a 'lefty' too. Congratulations!

The 'Specials' are a really wonderful guitars. Soft, sweet, grungy, laid back or shear hellcats .... it just depends on the mood. They'll keep you company!!!

I just love those P90s.

Here's mine.....

...... a 1960 Reissue. (now with Lollar P90s)
    [​IMG]

....and a 1995 (originally had P100s, but now has Gibson P90s)
    [​IMG]

LocoTex, lewis, tintag27 and 2 others like this.
  3. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    Count me in. I absolutely love mine.

Attached Files:

4. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    Just got a used one a few days ago. Awesome CL deal. One of the Musicians Friend limited ebony board edition. 2011 like new. I love the 60s slim taper neck, was afraid it would be thin but it ain't. I love P90s.
    [​IMG]

5. TeleBrew

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Nice group so far. Keep them coming!

6. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Here's mine, 2010 Jr. Special w/ebony board. Probably won't see ebony from Gibson on a Special, or much of anything, again. :(

Attached Files:

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Love these guitars...
    Why do some have the tune-o-matic and others have the stop-bar bridge/tailpiece?
    I am most interested in the stop-bar bridge/tailpiece. That is the way a junior is and I think of the Special as a two pick-up Junior.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Almost enough to make me get over my Fender monopoly. Really nice guitars. The LP Specials have this "look" that seems to say, "shut up, pick me up, start playing!"

9. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    [​IMG]
    Nice, was that from the exclusive for Musicians Friend run? I think it's the same as my white one, would love that yellow though. I love the slim tapered 60s neck as well I was afraid it would be too slim but it has some chunk and a nice width, fills my hand.

Did I say how much I love P90s?

Southpole likes this.
  10. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    And the P90 tone is kind of in the realm of the Fender type single coils.

11. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I've got the same guitar. LOVE IT.
    My #2 for sure.

Plays so great...love that ebony!

It was an MF/GC special run.

12. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2013
    Pea Ridge, Arkansas
    Here is my Jr. Special, 2012 model by the serial number. I love it. Waited a long time to finally get my grubby mitts on one. Glad I got it, it was worth the wait.

Junior.jpg

Junior 2.jpg

LocoTex and Southpole like this.
  13. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Congratulations! That's a textbook perfect example. You must be feeling super-stoked!

14. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2013
    Pea Ridge, Arkansas
    Thanks. I remember how many times those nimrods at Gibson made these, then let them go out of production, then made them again with the P-100 stacked humbuckers, then let those go out of production and I watched as the used specials from the 80s and 90s went into the $1200.00-$1500.00 range on EBay and at some local shops that had them. They were not anywhere near that expensive when they came out and I was certainly not going to pony up the scratch for one from the Custom Shop. When they brought them back out in 2011 in Canada and worldwide with that terrible Robot guitar, I waited expectantly, then in 2012 they released them but they are going to let them go out of production again, why? Because Gibson obviously doesn't understand a thing about market research. When you have something that sells, you keep making it. It is pretty simple. I have seen the latest, greatest coil tapped (what the hell is that about? Do all of the Les Pauls have to have coil tapping now? :eek:) version of the venerable Les Pauls sit at the music stores for a couple of years, then guitars like the special sell out the minute they get on the hangers. But it's Gibson's business not mine. Matt Laird would make stuff that sells because, well, I like having money and I have run a small business and I like happy customers. I thought that was the name of the game.

One thing that surprised me is that they used actual Klussons on these instead of the horrific Gibson Deluxe tuners. Big improvement. Overall, these specials are some of the best I have seen and I have played them since the early 90s, which meant used Specials/Jr.s from the 70s, 80s and the new ones from back then. Again, well worth the wait. Gibson should really keep these in their line permanently.

15. TeleBrew

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    My thoughts exactly! They're just great, simple, rocking guitars.

16. TeleBrew

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Mine has the stop-bar bridge/tailpiece because it's a 1960 Custom Shop Reissue. I got it used, and fairly cheaply, because it didn't come with the case, case candy, COA, etc. I'm surprised by how well this style of bridge intonates.

17. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    It's not a Gibson but Hamer was inspired by the LP Special when they came out with their own Specials. 1993, made in Chicago, Wolfetone P90s.

Honorary membership in the club?
    [​IMG]

18. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Nice! Is that the one that was on ebay recently?

19. TeleBrew

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    One of them, at any rate. I've seen three in the last month, but the other two included all the custom shop goodies.

20. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Jan 25, 2007
    GNV FLA USA
    Works for me! :D

[​IMG]

Of course, I'm not in charge. ;)

Here's me two Gibbies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scotty D, LocoTex and chemobrain like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.