Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, Aug 14, 2017.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    For a while I owned a guitar Gibson referred to as a "Melody Maker", but the 2003 model was really a LP Jr. Nice guitar, but not very "MM-ish".

Now their Epiphone division just announced a "Les Paul SL", which is for all intents and purposes a 60s style Melody Maker.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=b&network=g&gclid=CI_9yLyU2NUCFdSIswodj4QPmw

It looks like a LP Special body, but the single coil pickups and controls are mounted directly to a pick guard right out of a 1965 2-pup Melody Maker!

Just saying... ;)

studio1087 likes this.

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    "What is OLD...is NEW again"

The marketing mantra of both Gibson and Fender...

Ripradiant and studio1087 like this.

3. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    Sorta liked it, then really liked it. I admit to being tempted.

Sounds pretty alright too:

Zepfan and studio1087 like this.

4. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

May 22, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    These were a major hit at Summer NAMM. I haven't seen any production models yet, just the prototypes. They may have come through the DC without me seeing any tho. Anyway, yes, they are cool. At this price I'm definitely getting one.

Obsessed and studio1087 like this.

5. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Not bad. Tempting...

studio1087 likes this.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Yellow.

Look at the yellow one.

Mmmmmmm yellow Melody Maker thing.

Mmmmmmmm yellow.

[​IMG]

Do you think you could reshape the headstock? Because dang.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The Gibson version in the budget US line have been that way for a couple years. Came out 2012ish IIRC. Last of the P90s with the chalky matte finish were in the noughties I think.

8. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Pretty much an Epiphone Olympic Special from 1962: same as Gibson's Melody Maker but single-cutaway like the pre-1962 Gibsons. The only real differences going on are the bolt-on neck joint, maple neck instead of mahogany, and poplar body instead of mahogany. My guess is that the tone will be better than the originals, which generally sounded like crap IMHO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.