Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson have apparently learned nothing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I recently bought a limited edition 2018 "Classic" Les Paul with satin finish, really a great guitar. Says "Les Paul Model" instead of "Classic", has a big 50s neck profile, sounds awesome, feels great with the satin finish. I made a few changes to it like added a pickguard, changed the tuners to Kluson vintage style from the Gotoh ones and soldered on nickel pickup covers without potting the pickups amber knobs and pointer washers. Yes it has a PCB board and push-pull pots for coil splitting, but I don't really use the coil splitting and the stock 57 and 57+ pickups sound great. I paid $1,799.00 for it with the GC coupon and I think it's well worth it. Gibson should make more Les Pauls like this.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I'd be willing to forget about all of this, if they would just install a tiny roulette wheel or even just a button that randomly throws our 1 of the 500+ configurations everytime you spin or press it.

Call it "tone roulette"

Now that's innovation and novelty all in one. Lol

bigbean, LowCaster and Ebidis like this.
  3. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I owned an 18w marshall clone for a while that was pretty sweet. Kinda reminds me of what you describe.

bftfender likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    This is quite muddled. Flagship models are not the ones aimed at the masses. In fact, they are the ones not aimed at the masses. Flagship generally means best, top of the line, most expensive.

According to Merriam Webster:

Flagship~ the best, largest, or most important one of a group of things(such as products, stores, etc)

@warrent, just think how many more than $22m worth of guitars Gibson could have sold in July if they retained some credibility . . .

Edit - further, Gibson not putting these dip switches in all of their guitars may suggest they DID learn from the robotuner 2015 experience.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    BigDaddyLH and awasson like this.
  5. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

Whatever man... we can agree to disagree, no?

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    I'm thinking it's you, not Gibson, who knows what "Standard" means to them. It's exemplary of the times. Look around, a whole bunch of other companies with highly flamed guitars that feature all sorts of little updates. It's not supposed to be vintage, the original Standard was the latest/greatest in all it's features too.

Compound radii, push/pull configs, locking tuners, uber flame finish, aluminum hardware & chambered body, shredder neck profile, body & heel contours etc. That's all stuff you find on lots of high end guitars made in the past few decades...you really don't see the purpose here?

Again, I'm not into that stuff, but there's a market for it.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  7. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    In 1961 the Les Paul looked an awful lot like the modern SG....just sayin' :confused: The point is, it's not just a modern thing....mistakes are made all the time by lots of big companies. OR IS IT? After all the SG is Gibsons biggest seller of all time, never mind.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Not for nothing, but when the "Standard" name was introduced, it was to differentiate the lower-level, plainer Les Paul Model from the "Custom." It had nothing at all to do with it being the "standard feature set" or anything like that. They both had the same configuration, except for the bling, of course.

Maybe Gibson should call the new one the "Modern Standard" or something like that, to placate those who don't seem to grasp that the guitar is actually called the "Les Paul Model" and "Standard" and "Custom," as well as "Studio," et al, are variations on the base model, like the Toyota Corlla SE, ST, XE, etc.?

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    This is a lot of guitar for $1,800.00 with a hardshell case.

in 1958 money it would be $207.36, that's less than the cost of a standard back then.

Frankly I think Gibson is doing some things pretty well. I think they should stick to the basic models, but as long as they include them in one form or another, who cares what else they are trying to sell.

20180801_153525_resized.jpg 20180801_153554_resized.jpg 20180801_153655_resized.jpg 20180801_153754_resized.jpg 20180801_153913_resized.jpg

10. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

You do realize, Gibson has grown 20,000% (5M to 1B+ gross sales) since the 1980s, and their musical instrument business, especially guitars is, and has been profitable? If not for the failing divisions, their guitar profit might be unmatched in the industry. If you want to criticize Gibson, criticize their mistakes, not their successes. They sell a lot of guitars and instruments profitably.

MilwMark, 7171551, Bones and 2 others like this.
  12. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    All those DIP switches and push/pull pots are too complicated for me. I have enough problems dealing with a three-way pickup switch.

kookaburra and Fiesta Red like this.
  13. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

I have been criticizing their mistakes.... the robo tuners, the firebird X and now what I'm dubbing the "dip stick"....

All mistakes.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    OMG, that's gorgeous.

:rolleyes::twisted:

Morons.

william tele likes this.
  15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    One problem I see with the DIP switches is taking the cover off and on countless times. Screws into raw wood. Eventually you're going to strip the holes. Gibson should put metal inserts where the screws go into the body.

Ascension likes this.
  16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    @WetBandit, the so-called Standard hasn't been for some time. If you want one the way they were intended, that's Historic territory. If that's too pricey for ya, then you'll need to settle for a Traditional, which ain't bad at all. The Standard is always where they've experimented, like it or not.

EDIT: I don't like it. Wouldn't buy one of those in any color, and certainly not blue vomit.

17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    if you relic'd a PRS in '59 les paul fashion, we'd probably blast it, too.

soulgeezer likes this.
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    tokai makes a bunch of them in les paul style. They aren't even expensive. It does take a little work to get one to the US, though.

Plain top guitar with a hard case that looks, smells, feels and sounds like a vintage les paul is about $1,600 delivered to the USA. Dealer support?...well, you can buy two for the price of a les paul, so I guess it's sort of like dealer support.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    "hey everyone, give me a little bit here...I'm not ready for my solo yet. I pushed the wrong button. When are they going to have an iphone connected version to prevent this from happening to me?"

kookaburra and WetBandit like this.
  20. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    That move went over like a fart in church, but it did give us two guitars in the end instead of one.

kookaburra and jtees4 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.