Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson have apparently learned nothing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well I dunno...

I'm not a Les Paul guy, but it seems like a nice cool use of modern technology.

For me, there are too many options...
    I get "Option Overload" when faced with that many decisions.

Still... I'm sure there are folks that will find it appealing.

All that said, I think it's cool, just not for me.

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That's gorgeous. If that color were on a PRS, you'd all be drooling after it.

Just sayin'.

Huddy and demon like this.
  3. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    The word "standard" has many definitions, from being the "usual" to being the top of the line (i.e. the "gold standard" against which others are measured), to simply being a model name (like the Hamer Standard, which was actually an Explorer-shaped guitar).

Saying that a "Les Paul Standard" has to mean one and only one thing for all time and eternity is just silly, in my opinion. Standards change. That's just the way things are.

Look at the Serena Williams thread -- People are making excuses for classless, unsportsmanlike behavior that never would have been put up with back when player wore white sweaters and shorts. But, those standards have been exponentially lowered over the years to the point where tennis is apparently ice hockey now.

Oh, well -- Such is the way of the world!

MilwMark likes this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    At least we finally got Blue Berry Burst, it’s a shame that it has to be tied to dip switches and coil splits.
    It’s like Gibson is just taunting us, they give us the color we have all been raving about, but they slip a dip switch in there thinking we wouldn’t notice.
    Shame on you Gibson,

Bruxist and zephyrR1 like this.
  5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Yeah, if you worked at a guitar shop before you'd know one thing: some consumers like the most fugly blingy over the top guitars a manufacturer puts out. I've seen these people in person, I don't get it either and 99% chance I wouldn't buy one of them myself.

If there was a run of 2,000 rhinestone covered Standard Tele's...I'm telling you...there's 2,000 buyers out there!

What I think is equally mind boggling is the same people mad about a few phase/coil switches sometimes drool over the latest pedal processor with 8 million preset sounds! Like, argh??

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  6. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I was going to comment on that as well but you put it much more eloquently.

jackinjax likes this.
  7. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Boy those colors sure do look ugly on a Les Paul.

The dip switches and push pull idea is cool in theory, but it certainly doesn't scream Les Paul to me.

And I guess if you want to swap out pickups you're S.O.L. with that system.

WetBandit likes this.
  8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Oh come on....that's only a little over $7 per configuration. It's a bargain. :twisted:

9. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    I don't get what you're complaining about, other than the finishes this seems like a perfect Les Paul.
    The dip switches allow you to try all the common mods for a Paul without breaking out a soldering iron or voiding a warranty. The weight relief is a valid response to current wood supply. The rest of the specs fit a modern playable guitar which is what the standard should be.

10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    .WOGS .The World Organisation of Gibson Slaggers is in full cry folks .....;)

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

Omg PCB!! The toan, the poor toan!

It’s hard for me to not chuckle about this, especially since non pcb guitars are readily available.

I would not be interested in that many tone options, but the alleged horrors of pcb have nothing to do with it.

ale.istotle and D_W_PGH like this.
  12. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    The weight relief is a product of them drilling out a series of large holes under the cap to reduce weight... so if anything they are wasting wood.

Secondly the colors are hideous...if I wanted a PRS I'd buy one.

As far as the switching and gadgetry... what is wrong with the sound of a Les Paul? I mean is it bad enough to warrant 500+ switching combinations to make it sound like everything else except what it is?

I mean when you pick up a tele are you expecting to hear a Les Paul?

When you pick up a Strat are you expecting a P90 archtop?

Just let it be what it is.... if anything they have made their other guitars irrelevant... if you can have any sound with the 2019 LP standard.

Gibsons motto should be...."if it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Guitar will require a 50 page instruction manual lol...

And heaven forbid you forget what switch or knob to hit at a gig... I mean you only have to remember everything else what's 500+ more things right?

boredguy6060 likes this.
  13. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Don't look inside your amp. Seriously, don't.

ale.istotle, Huddy, kubiakl and 2 others like this.
  14. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    I could care less about the PCB.... I'm not looking at that from a tone standpoint... I'm looking at it as far as longevity and durability.

I mean how much other junk do we run in our rigs that have PCBs in them somewhere?

And with all this PCB and dip switching "high performance" system....they will STILL claim TONE WOOD matters!!

And people will still believe it...lol

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    So the dip switches allow you to set what the pull knobs do. It seems pretty straightforward, but not for me. I’ve never been a Gibson guy and also I don’t usually like more tone options. I’ll respond by just....not buying one. I don’t feel like I’ve been personally betrayed by Gibson though.

Pcb construction is used in military gear, by NASA, and in millions of cars everyday, all things that function in extremes of temperature and moisture and stress that far exceed what a guitar goes through

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

By that logic Teles should have big paddle headstocks, since shaping them is wasting wood.

17. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere
    See my latest post... I'm not against PCBs in amps or pedals...but in something that's supposed to get banged around and sweated on...

Durability and longevity come into question.

Your $3k guitar has Plastic potentiometers... lol

18. WetBandit

Oct 11, 2016
    Somewhere

No I dont care about wasting anything... he made the comment that the weight relief is a byproduct of the new wood laws and woods being harder to come by...

I was illustrating that they aren't saving anything but actually wasting the material. Because they build the guitar with all the wood a full weight model would be and then chamber it after the fact.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Assuming that Gibson was targeting @WetBandit 's age group with the dip switch Standard, it makes me feel good and safe that at least there are some young stallworth holdouts hanging tough for the almost 70 year old design.

Hold your ground.;)

WetBandit likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I think the original comment was about using (ie not wasting) wood that was heavier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.