Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson have apparently learned nothing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I didn't read most of the replies in this thread, but I won't let that stop me from responding. I did work for Gibson for a spell, and experienced this first hand.

Like most of Gibson's "innovations" in the Henry-era, this is a solution in search of a market desire, yet they apply it more liberally than any of the market desires. It's a niche, yet they throw it onto the wall in great abundance.

In other words... they're going "all in" on very weak hands, a lot, in hopes of a jackpot.

This is not unique to Gibson of course. But their heritage has been one of tradition for much longer than it was ever innovation. What was the last innovation that Gibson introduced to the mass market that stuck? Been a while, huh? Maybe the Chet solid body acoustic?

The saying "dance with who brung ya" applies here.

When I worked there (in the sales department) I once asked about the wild variance in price between models that were extremely close to one another in labor costs. At the time, it was several models of the SG, the only difference being pickguards, pickups, and tuners... yet there was over $1000 difference in price. The response was "market perception." So I asked about the focus groups they used. The response? There were no focus groups. Oh... I get it... you're just guessing about the market. Ok, it all makes sense now.

(No I didn't say that out loud.)

But that sums up the Henry era.

bftfender, RadioFM74 and WetBandit like this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It's the kind of thing you see on Antiques Roadshow, the traveling salesman fully working demo models. The value might be difficult to realize, but it's still a cool piece!

Johnson johnson likes this.

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    OH, MY GOD! HOLD THE PRESSES!!! I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!!!!!

The Les Paul Custom isn't actually custom and the PRS Custom 22 and Custom 24 guitars aren't, either! (And don't even get me started on the Custom 22 SE -- AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!)

And, Fender "Custom Shop" guitars are actually put together from a list of options and are NOT ACTUALLY CUSTOM GUITARS!

Holy crap! The lid is off! The secret's out! Quick, somebody call the Pope -- It must be a sign of THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!

WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!! DOOMED I TELL YA!!!!!

;) :D

4. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    A) It's "Gibson has..." The OP is from Kentucky, not anywhere in Great Britain.

B) Both options split the infinitive. So, fail... ;) :D

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    They need to leave him on a deserted island with nothing but a blueberry dipstick LP.

I heard a rumor Joe Bonamassa was a potential buyer for the brand....

Wonder how that would go down?

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    It'll be a nice company with bad sunglasses, and we'll see it on PBS a lot.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's

Where does your profile state this? Your avatar box doesn't. Neither does your profile page, as far as I can tell.

Here is a rule that seems relevant:

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS:
    When someone says something you don't agree with don't turn on them and attack them personally. Don't call people names. Don't resort to school yard bullying tactics.

soulgeezer likes this.

8. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Joe Bonamassa has a net worth of just about $20 million.

Gibson is $560 million in debt.

So, I'm guessing it's probably not going to go down.

9. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Ever heard of an area code? Mine is 37804...

Everyone clearly takes the time to break down the grammatical content of my posts, but can't take the time to look at my actual location before making sweeping (sarcastic) assumptions about it.

10. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Dude, it was a joke -- Did you not see the smilies?

RadioFM74 and MilwMark like this.

11. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    Can I get one made from Mississippi Blues Maple?

WetBandit likes this.

12. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Thank you. You saved me the effort. And, of course, if I said it, it would be a "personal attack." So, yeah.

13. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Just stop taking pages from Kelnets book and we will be cool dude.

14. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That's a British thing. In US English, collective nouns are generally treated as singular, e.g. "The team is winning," "The class is going to the zoo," or "United Airlines sucks."

There's a great new book on the topic that I just finished reading called "The Prodigal Tongue" by Lynne Murphy -- Definitely worth checking out!

15. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    I'm really sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

MilwMark likes this.

16. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    In the words of Joe:

joebonamassa: I’m posting this as my birthday gift to myself. ... THIS IS A FAKE STORY.. I am not buying anything but breakfast tomorrow. BUT to see the members of the GEAR PAGE spend 18 pages of chatter/vitriol all the while making fools of themselves talking about me buying it is the best birthday gift I could ask for. Gibson is in good hands and I am honored to be an endorser and supporter of this great brand that will continue to make great guitars. The internet is a hellava drug if read the wrong way.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    Well that settles that...

And hate to disagree with Joe, but Gibson is CLEARLY NOT in good hands.

18. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Not *IF* the OP implied Gibson as PLURAL...as in the 'collective' Gibson holdings...duh! :rolleyes:

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I'm not clear why the OP rant is justified or necessary. Gibson is very clear, and has been for some time, that the Standard is a current year design and represents their best, present-day "take" on the LP. It's not a secret, mistake, or surprise. It's the current Standard. I generally don't like them these days, but it's pointless to argue over the use of the word, particularly since they offer the correctly-named Traditional, and numerous reissues, to replicate older models. I dislike Gibson's practices very much, but in this case I fail to grasp why there is any problem with the names they've chosen. It's today's standard. Standards change.

20. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    As I said earlier in this thread, Gibson's new management isn't even in place yet. The whole 2019 line is still Henry's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.