Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson have apparently learned nothing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Sep 12, 2018.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    So the new 2019 Les Paul STANDARD is now outfitted with dip switches... I'll say that agian, the Les Paul STANDARD is sporting dip switches with over 500 possible configurations...

So your LES PAUL can sound like a strat or a Tele or possibly even a banjo...

And sure some will argue that they still make the original standard les paul in the form of the "Traditional"... but imo that is garbage.

The standard should be the way its always been from the onset. 2 PAFs a 3 way toggle and 2 volumes and 2 tones... nothing more nothing less.

They should call this thing a Les paul modern, not the Standard... the standard should be what all others should be compared to.

Did robo tuners teach Gibson nothing?

How about 1 of the 2 available colors being blueberry burst?... who in the hell asked for that?

This is so upsetting... will I ever be given the opportunity to buy a NEW Les paul standard the way they are supposed to be? I'm fearing that I won't and that makes me sad.

Gibson, yet again failing to listen to their customer base.

And carrying a $3600 price tag... now what real working musician can afford that realistically?

Oh well I guess.... I'll stop ranting now.

hdvades, bcorig, chemobrain and 9 others like this.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You could always just...not use the dip switches

omahaaudio, shupe13, noah330 and 12 others like this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dont like it? Don't buy it.

Im averse to the cult of LPs, but I might be interested with dip switches. I'm envisioning a Jazzmaster-Les Paul hybrid since this thread lacks pics :)

CFFF, drlucky and Freejack like this.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Finally after all these years they final listened to the people and gave us a BLUEBERRY Burst.

Whatever target they were shooting for, I don't think they even shot in the right direction.

Ben-Zion, 3fngrs, Doctorx33 and 5 others like this.

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

6. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

The canon they were using backfired and destroyed the emplacement and the entire garrison... as far as I can tell.

drlucky likes this.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016
    And have a $3600 dollar guitar that's ALL PCB on the inside?? No thanks!!

RoyBGood likes this.

8. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    60 cycle hum has an interesting point of view.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    It looks like they're sucking wind, and down the line, they still make guitars like a les paul standard, but they just call them something else.

I would imagine the strategy is two part:
    * look at all of the features you get (they probably receive calls from countless PRS owners or people who threaten to be saying they could have one guitar that does all things), that justifies the price (in reality, it's a hundred bucks of features to justify 3-10x the price it's supposed to account for
    * they're probably still smarting from losing the lawsuit to PRS on the singlecut and aiming directly at their market

I can't imagine wanting a butt heavy les paul if you're looking for a pRS type guitar (clarify here, I own six les paul style guitars - including one les paul, and had a standard in the past, and have never owned a PRS).

I get the appeal of a guitar that almost sounds like 10 guitars, but each time I've had a guitar with coil splitting and various gimmicky mutliwiring schemes in it, the novelty wears off pretty quickly and i use the three standard positions and ...if i'm going to try to get a strat sound, I get a strat. When I used to play live, I did the same thing. simple pedals, simple guitars, no confusion.

I understand what Gibson is doing here, though - they're shooting at birds hoping to hit one.

10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Why do you care if you cant afford it , or dont want to spend the money ?
    You know , I could buy it if I wanted to , but I would never buy any guitar at 3600 $
    No guitar is worth that to me , sorry
    I already have 4 great Les Pauls , all bought used
    You can still buy ones made like approx 60 years ago , at various prices right ?

CFFF likes this.

11. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2014
    SLC, UT
    I agree! Compare the 2016 Les Paul Standards to the 2019 Standards line. There were lots of color choices and they were what a standard was supposed to be.

Remember, you can always buy a used non-2019 Les Paul Standard for a MUCH better price!

El Tele Lobo and awasson like this.

12. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

I take no issue with the guitar at all other than them calling it the STANDARD...

Call it something else call it the modern call it the contemporary... call it the LP Ultra call at anything other than Standard!

And who can remember "oh I need to push this knob down pull these 3 up and then put my toggle in the middle and oops mid song you accidentally hit the accordian setting!!!

Gibson aren't exactly know for their wisdom or marksmanship these days...

13. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Nov 2, 2003
    South Dakota
    I think a name like 'gangrenous tiger' for that finish would be pretty neat.

Deeve, RoyBGood, drlucky and 3 others like this.

14. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    And btw , 2 vol/tone controls are more than enough for me , just one more reason not to buy one , LOL

String Tree, Ron R and nojazzhere like this.

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2016

Sure, but what about the guy wanting a new LP standard...the way it was intended? I guess he's stuck like Chuck...

El Tele Lobo likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Don’t know if I would buy a new Gibson these days. It’s funny because When I was 17 years old and bought my first pro grade guitar I was looking at Gibson’s. At 17, I’d have to finance it but I would have don’t it if the guitar was right.

Today, I could just buy one new but today I prefer used guitars. Let someone else put the first scratch on it, take a hit on depreciation and put some miles on it. That way the guitar has some stories to tell.

If I were going to buy a Les Paul today, it would be used and there’s are so many to be had in our market, I could choose whatever I wanted and get it for a good price too.

18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Violet Beauregarde asked for that color. :lol::lol::lol:

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    For the love of a deity, quit exaggerating. It is only $3399! :lol::lol::lol:

WetBandit likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.