Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson G-Force tuning system battery.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tonyj, Sep 13, 2017.

1. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    I am just wondering whether anyone has had to replace or buy a spare battery for the G-Force tuning system which featured on many of the 2015 range of Gibson guitars?

I am aware that these batteries are supposedly available in the $US20 apiece category, but where from?

Non of the dealers here in Canada that I have checked with actually carry them, not even Long and McQuade. I have been told by them that they can be ordered and shipped, but now the price jumps by 400% or more. This is odd.

I have even contacted the European maker of the battery. Same story. They will ship me a battery which is about the same size as a regular 9v battery, and is advertised at around $20, for close to $90 inc shipping.

Any thoughts on where I might find such a battery and at a price closer to the stated retail price.

Thanks everyone.

2. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    Cheaper to buy new tuners and a clip on?

Charlie Bernstein, Picton and Zepfan like this.

3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    That is exactly what I am referring to ....... But having contacted these people in the past, I was also given the price for one unit, which was as previously stated.

I will however give it another try. Perhaps over the past few months, things have changed.

...... and thank you VintageSG.

4. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    out of curiosity could you post a pic of the battery?

5. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi 24 track. It is exactly as shown in the link in VintageSG's post#3.

6. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Another great idea from Gibson!

7. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

8. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey jimash sorry to have appeared so lacking in the 'smarts' that you must have; for that I offer my apologies. However, having actually gone through this procedure in full, and on a number of occasions in the past year or so, and each time having decided that there had to be a better way to find a supplier of a standard 'Gibson' part......and a part that at least was being sold nearer to it's advertised price, and having failed each time, I put it on the back burner for a while - 'till now.

It does seem that the makers of this product are softening a little on how much it should cost to ship a small item that weighs less than an ounce or so, from Europe to N.America, but as a retiree, I can tell you that every dollar counts. I can probably ship a guitar across Canada for less than that, and then again perhaps not. I am also still curious as to why an authorized Gibson dealer is not able to access a part that eventually many of us may need. Like buying a car, then finding that the tyres it uses are only available in Timbucktoo. Thanks Gibson ...... perhaps you expect the battery to outlast the guitar or it's tuning system, and thank my lucky stars that I only own one such guitar.

Only when I actually get a spare battery in hand, will I relax. Thanks for all the work you did on my behalf jimash. I will now follow up on this latest tip and of course will let you know if I am successful. They are charging me just over $50, so what the heck, it's now on order.

9. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    milocj, hellopike and tonyj like this.

10. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    You're welcome, I guess.

11. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Lordy. Take away the question mark. Split-shafts and a clip on would run about fifty bucks?

What an unbelievably bad idea those stupid robot things were. A very elegant example of a solution in search of a problem. Good luck, OP. I think the mistake you made wasn't in searching badly on the internet; it was in buying a guitar with robotic tuners.

I hope you make out okay.

hellopike and tonyj like this.

12. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks Picton for your kind words.

I also agree with your thoughts on the actual merits of the 'stupid robot things' to some degree. Oddly enough however, I would not have bought the guitar in the first place had it not been the strange guitar it was.

Over the past years I had collected one or two fine examples of LP juniors, and the thought did occur to me that as no one seemed to like these new fangled 2015 designs, then this might become a future rarity of some kind. You get the picture? So, when the dealer blow-outs occurred, I grabbed one, and at a good price.

The actual guitar, quirky though it is, is a well made instrument and really has some nice tone, in all it's odd-ball glory. The battery is a necessity to maintain the integrity of what the guitar is, and the realization that these where not readily available at Gibson dealerships had me scrambling to find a spare for that 'just in case' moment which will no doubt arrive. No battery, and the guitar is as musical as a door stop - at least in the manner in which it is intended to be used.

I now have a battery on order, and it will (I believe) be coming from far off places. This is part of the point I was grumbling about - and the resulting price in my early post. Not too clear I guess.

Thanks to all you good folks, and especially jimash who finally got me to part with the cash and get on with buying the thing no matter where it came from, and to stop my whining.

jimash and Picton like this.

13. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Fair enough.

Good luck.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    A lot of shops will remove the G-Force for you. When customers request it, they'll even remove them at the time of sale.

xafinity likes this.

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I don't know about the idea of buying one of these because it will become a rarity.

The batteries will probably become unavailable at some point and the tuners will no longer function.

People buy 50 year old guitars all the time. I wouldn't want to bet on those batteries being around in 50 years since they're not a common battery type.

At least we haven't seen new articles about the batteries going up in flames.

16. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I was going to bring that point up. I'm not sure that a single battery is a problem, but at least one major plane crash has been attributed to carrying a large shipment of Li batteries. Somebody may only be ordering one, yet there could somehow end up being a large batch of single battery shipments or a store may wait until they have a lot to ship (even if that part is unlikely to happen).

Kind of a bad move by the manufacturer of the system and by Gibson to not have stock readily available. I think some of that reality is going to start popping up soon for owners of hybrid and fully electric vehicles now that they've been on the market long enough to start needing replacement in larger numbers, too.

17. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The shipping care with Lithium Ion batteries has gotten a lot more noticeable in the last year or two.. I've noticed the packages are arriving 100% of the time now with the safety stickers/badges all over the packaging to ensure everyone handling the package knows it's got hazardous materials in it.

We are all mostly lulled into complacency carrying our smartphones around, it looks like the G-force battery is a lot smaller than a smartphone but it's probably big enough to start a fire bad enough to destroy the guitar+case if it went off.

18. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    The G force tuners are actually pretty cool. I was sceptical at first too, but being able to switch between open G and standard tuning by pushing a button is pretty nice. I always bring a clip on tuner and a second guitar to a gig anyway, so I'm not too worried about the battery dying mid set. But, I'm glad the OP found what he was looking for.

musicalmartin and tonyj like this.

19. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    .....and I definitely won't be around in 50years either, but someone will, and whoever inherits my stuff will at least have an unusual wall hanger, or something to throw my old darts at.

....and beninma, I think you totally nailed it when you brought up the proven spontaneous combustion record of Lithium batteries. A good point and more than likely the reason for the difficulty in finding an on shore source of replacements ....... although I've not had any problems to date with Lithium battery spares for my cameras.

Hey Mr Bernstein I bought the guitar because it had the G-Force tuners on, and because it was quirky, and because it came with a heck of a nice case. I also know how to remove or replace most of the paraphernalia that makes a guitar function too. Just saying... in case everyone is beginning to think I'm a total dummy.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.