Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Firebird Zero

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 27, 2017.

Firebird Zero ... To Be Or Not To Be? That Is The Question !

1. Yes, Buy One. It Is what it Is! A Gibson for less than $500.

2. Nah, Hold Out. The price will probably drop even lower.

3. Firebird Zero? More Like Firebird Turkey! Buy a Squier CV Strat or a 50's Reissue to go with your CV

4. Hmmm , It is Quirky in a kind of cool way , but I am on the fence about how I feel about these.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nah! I described it kind of stupidly I think!

DOH !!!

2. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    While looking at the wiring yesterday for a second time...what I thought was Braided Wiring is some kind of dark grey sleeve covering the main ground wire to the bridge. It does have some pretty nice wiring in it though.

I am anxious to drop the Mean 90's in it now that the work week is done.

I need to get some pics. I picked up my Vintage Epi SG, and realize how light the Zero is! :D
    Looking thru my straps to find the right one. I will try to get some pictures and post them.

If anybody has any specific requests in regard to pictures let me know. I have the guitar ready for the pick up swap. I figure that if anyone is waiting for the price drop on these before they think of pulling the trigger, here is a chance to see whats what and know what you can expect.

And guess what: Sweetwater called me today to say that One of the Two Epiphone Single Coil Specials I ordered has come in. (The Black and White One) They shipped it today and it will be here tomorrow. (I'm such a push over for cheap guitars):p:lol:
    th.jpg

3. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I was in the local GC this weekend and they had two hanging on the wall for $350. They actually look pretty nice in person and were very light.

4. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    FWIW I heard the pickups were really really good in these...

5. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    UNDER THE PICKGUARD ZERO MODS 008.jpg ZERO MODS 009.jpg

audiopablo likes this.

6. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

7. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Dropped the GFS Mean 90's into it today.
    Added new Knobs and a Decal...it looks pretty cool. The Wilkinson is ready to go.

ZERO MODS 004.jpg

Zepfan, cabra velha and audiopablo like this.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

9. FenderGyrl

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The cheap plastic nut had to go. Yesterday I cut and shaped a Black TUSQ Nut for it. (Self Lubricating) I have the slots in it, I just need to take my time and work the slots to fit a set of Hybrid Slinkys ( 9-11-16-26-36-46 ) I like to Drop D ... The Hybrids work for me.

I dropped some Sperzels into it also. Just have to Drill and put in the set screws. I 0000 Steel Wooled the back of the neck, it feels much smoother. I buffed the Frets and oiled the fingerboard.

The "NICK" in the High E Slot looks much worse than it really is. I left a bit of height on the nut, so I think it will get smoothed out. I'll take my time cutting the Slots over the next few days. Don't want to rush it at this point.

ZERO MODS 002.jpg ZERO MODS 001.jpg

Zepfan likes this.

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Hey, FenderGyrl,
    When you get those Epi SL's, let us know what you think; in spite of the obvious differences, they put me in mind of a Melody Maker I had in '71. I butchered the pickguard putting in a pair of P-90s, had bridge problems, etc., but the core tone of that guitar is one I have chased for 45 years. I traded it toward a LP Deluxe in '72, great guitar, but it didn't have that sound.
    Wish I still had them both.
    Thanks.

11. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY

12. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2006
    I have one of these. I played one and loved it right away. I started playing thin bodied SG's and cheap vintage Japanese guitars. This guitar has that trashy vintage Japanese guitar vibe for sure. But then it has a great feeling Gibson neck. I love the slug pickups. I spent money for a pro setup and new nut and it now plays as good as any of my guitars. I also put on TonePros locking studs.

I own custom-made guitars that I paid in excess of $3,000 for and several Gibson Historics. Is this guitar of that quality, NO! But it is a perfectly playable and nice sounding guitar in a Garage Band nasty sort of way. I love it.

Gibson should have called this something other than a Firebird. It has no familial ties to other Firebirds.

Jay Jernigan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.