Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Firebird Zero

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 27, 2017.

Firebird Zero ... To Be Or Not To Be? That Is The Question !

1. Yes, Buy One. It Is what it Is! A Gibson for less than $500.

2. Nah, Hold Out. The price will probably drop even lower.

3. Firebird Zero? More Like Firebird Turkey! Buy a Squier CV Strat or a 50's Reissue to go with your CV

4. Hmmm , It is Quirky in a kind of cool way , but I am on the fence about how I feel about these.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    I'm sure they can be great guitars, either out of the box or with some work. I don't understand the 500 dollar Gibson hype when you can find les paul juniors with a hardshell case for around that price.

FenderGyrl likes this.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You deserve better!

Edit: No problem with cheap or trashy guitars that are cool or strange or just really cheap and it's amazing that they actually work which makes them cool.

FenderGyrl likes this.

3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Fendergyrl is more of a play on Skynyrd. :D

Probably gonna pass on the Zero. Don't have enough Coin for an Epi Bird right now.

I was looking at a John 5 Telecaster at MF. :twisted: (Gotta use up some points)
    Leaning towards the Black and Chrome. Seems like a nice fit for me. I don't have a Tele with HB's in it.
    I have a 79 Deluxe LP with Mini Humbuckers, so I have that covered.

Anode100 likes this.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've scratched my firebird-esque itch here (but I paid less, natch)

https://hardluckkings.com/collections/electric-guitars

I know lots will put their noses in the air and say "that's no firebird", and those folks will be right, but I don't care :cool:

Mine should be here the end of the week

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I looked one over at the local GC, and a Squier affinity is a much better guitar.

The quality just isn't there, no matter what name is on the headstock.

I'm loving my Bonamassa Epiphone... It's worth the few $$ more.

[​IMG]

Southpole, Zepfan and backporchmusic like this.

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

Please do fill us in with an update when you get the guitar in hand.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    backporch, will do. I'm getting pretty used to the purists taking offense at my lack of giving a crap what the headstocks say, or if it's a completely "accurate" copy :p

StrangerNY likes this.

8. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

9. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    i am tele player but i occasional play regular guitars.

it has a 1950's type look to it and i like that

thos guys from the 50's tone was twangy even when they weren't playing twangy!

so using that logic i accept it

10. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2009
    Richmond, TX

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Obviously the decision was made by the same idiot that had all Gibson models sport Robo-Tuners and Zero frets awhile back.

Dan R and Piggy Stu like this.

12. Tele5015

Tele5015 Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2015
    Holton,Michigan
    You should buy a firebird t and put some seymour duncan firebird pickups in it or even some mojo tones i'm sure you would be able to get the Allen Collins sound. The pickups that gibson is using in the firebirds now are very hot ceramic ones and back then they used alnico magnets with lower output. Mojo tone and Seymour duncan make them like gibson did back in the day.

Dan R and FenderGyrl like this.

13. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Does anyone know if the price on this thing will definitely drop, and if it will when that might be? I played one at GC, and while I didn't love it, I thought it had potential. I think this would be a fun guitar to do some heavy mods to, but I'd wanna snag one for less than $449 (more like $250-$300), could be a fun project at a lower price point.

FenderGyrl likes this.

14. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    Sam Ash just sold a bunch of 2015 Gibsons for about 1/2 of what they sold for in 2015. So, I'd say give it 2 years.

15. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Thanks for that info. I'll keep my eye out. It sounds like the model is doing terribly, so maybe the prices will drop sooner (fingers crossed).

16. imploration

imploration Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Midwest
    You know, you could try your hand at building one:) I built these two beauties a few years back. A little more work making a neck thru than say a tele, but definitely worth it!

[​IMG]

CFFF, TigerG, Dan R and 8 others like this.

17. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Review starts at 3:45

Lupo likes this.

18. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    ZZounds.com has them on sale starting at $379 (pelham blue) and going up to 449 from there, depending on color. The gold is 389.

I can see them getting to 299 pretty easily.

19. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

May 16, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Those guitars look great! I think it is a project I want to tackle eventually, but right now I definitely do not have the tools or skills to do it. I need to successfully build a Tele first.

This would only be a project I would take on if I could get the guitar very cheap. Maybe ZZounds has a scratched/dented one they would let go for $299 or less. My plan is to refinish the guitar, change the hardware, and the electronics. I played one at GC and liked the neck, so maybe with a better bridge I could get the action lower and get a pleasing sound with new electronics and take a terrible guitar and make it much better. I also could learn a lot in the process.

imploration and TwangToInfinity like this.

20. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I tried one at GC, very poorly made. Think about guitars at that price point: G&L Tribute, Squier CV or even a decent Epiphone Les Paul or Firebird. This is not worth fixing up at all. I had the Epiphone Firebird with three mini humbuckers and it was great. Just saying.

Dan R likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.