Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson Firebird Zero

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 27, 2017.

Firebird Zero ... To Be Or Not To Be? That Is The Question !

1. Yes, Buy One. It Is what it Is! A Gibson for less than $500.

2. Nah, Hold Out. The price will probably drop even lower.

3. Firebird Zero? More Like Firebird Turkey! Buy a Squier CV Strat or a 50's Reissue to go with your CV

4. Hmmm , It is Quirky in a kind of cool way , but I am on the fence about how I feel about these.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Ok, Here Goes.

I am a HUGE Allen Collins fan. I had a nice Reverse Firebird with Mini Humbuckers back in the day. It was stolen. I have never gotten another Firebird. I already have almost every type of Guitar imaginable in my arsenal. I have just never found the right "Bird" to add to it. I don't need a $1000 plus Gibby Firebird. I cant find an Epi Bird that I like. And I really like Epi's. I feel their Quality is on par with Gibsons.

Keep in mind that I LIKE working on my Guitars ... I have a chance to pick up a Firebird. (Came across some Mad Money)

I played one of the Zeros: I read and understand all of the "Cut Corners" on the Zero. I don't mind buying a GOTOH Wrap Around Bridge and replacing the Tuners and the Cheapo Nut. I can live with the Double Slug Pick Ups. I can drop Seymour Duncans from my parts box into it at any time. I have sets of Active and Passive on hand. I don't care about seeing the wood grain, etc thru the Nitro Finish. I don't care if the finish isn't "Pristine". I want that Nitro to Relic anyways right?

Here is what has me on the fence: Buying a $450 Guitar and having to replace almost everything on it! After all it Says GIBSON on the head stock! But does that even matter to me at this point ? I don't know !!!

Also, I am wondering if these will be dropped down to $300 plus change when they end up with a Warehouse full of them due to the Quality Issues. How will the Zero be remembered a few years down the road? A Cult Classic? Will these end up being the Melody Makers of their time?

For some reason I can't pull the trigger on one of these. Maybe its the Neck Dive...I just don't know!
    I like the Quirky Body Shape: I can live with the right Combo of Finish Color and that Pick Guard. (Lots of room for Modding?!)
    I do like the shape and feel of the Satin Finished Neck. (I would XXX Steel Wool that baby down!)

What do you guys think? Yes or No? (I know that some people hate this Guitar - I get that too)

I like this Color Combo: White On Black..followed by Black On Black

Firebird-Zero.jpg black zero.jpg

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I tried to talk myself into liking them but I just couldn't
    But it sounds like you don't have this problem

Having said that, my cheapskate side tells me you should hold out for even lower prices, these have been dropping like a rock because apparently they are not moving

FenderGyrl likes this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    My two bits...wait for the right one, you'll know it when you see it. Ask yourself, would Johnny Winter buy one?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Piggy Stu, cloink50 and FenderGyrl like this.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I bought a Zero as soon as they came out. Returned it. POS. Cheapest feeling Gibson I have ever touched, but not the 'cheapest' in price (used stuff).

The neck angle/bridge mount ensure a good set up is impossible on most of them, unless your particular one somehow has a favorable neck angle.

I do think we'll see prices at 349-399 for a blowout soon, but even then, for me...no.

FenderGyrl likes this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'd wait and buy one used off CL.
    I'd vote for the white on black.
    You could probably get one for $200ish, before too long.

Piggy Stu and FenderGyrl like this.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Never liked the Firebird unless it was reversed. Wouldn't buy a Gibson Firebird unless it was reversed and had real Firebird pickups, otherwise it's just another overpriced slab Gibby with HB's in it.

Get the Epiphone Firebird One, It's reversed - a plus, made of Mahogany - a plus, and has a pickup that is made like a real Firebird pickup - another plus. You can get a neck Firebird from Cavalier Pickups or Barncaster to seal the deal.

7. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I've heard this complaint about some of the low priced Gibsons. I hope that Gibson will be able to offer some good axes in this price range, but these models seem iffy. For me, playability is the most important factor of any guitar.

Just be cautious and use your best judgment. Best of luck in your search, FenderGyrl.

FenderGyrl likes this.

8. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, This guy is still PO'd even after he swapped out the bridge... o_O

9. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    It's so ugly.
    Please get a better one.

Fancy
    https://reverb.com/item/6346965-epi...TjaMiGXEDcZtzKM4y0NHG30uG0aAs1MEALw_wcB&pla=1

Just right ?
    https://reverb.com/item/5649792-gibson-firebird-t-2016-case-candy-original-gig-bag-near-mint

There is a single pickup Joe Bonamassa model in sunburst for a fair price from Epiphone, that seems to have some vibe. $ 7-800
    The Firebird Studio, I have heard, and it's nice, but not minis.
    The bird is a particular item with singular parts and you want at least some of that stuff.
    Thru-neck, mini pickups, tuners out the back, etc.
    But that's me, and I am peculiar.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I tried this guitar unplugged and it felt more awkward than anything, wrong form factor, too small all over. Trying too much to be a Squire. Maybe export will be their real market.

Biggest problem is the brand damage they will do. Epi needs to be the low cost line and Gibson the expensive one. People buy that headstock logo. That is what they want.

FenderGyrl and Obsessed like this.

11. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Like someone else already said, check out the relatively new Epiphone JB Firebird I. They're not exactly cheap, but well worth the price of admission considering that the next closest thing to it is a Gibson Custom Shop costing several times as much. I have one and totally love it!

20170221_213525.jpg

12. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I can't imagine how this and the other similar low-end Gibsons of 2017 made it past the prototype stage and into production. The fatal flaw is the neck angle--absolutely no good for the bridge they chose.

Then you have the thin, cheap body, and all the other assorted issues. But the neck angle is a death knell to this model.

To illustrate the cheapness of this model and the corners that were cut--the truss rod cover is as thin as heavy paper. Thinner than any commercial guitar pick. How much could that small bit of plastic save, production cost-wise? A nickel?

Mine had neck dive. I cannot reiterate how cheap the whole product is. In this case--yes, the $99 Epiphone LP is a better made guitar. I have one of the $99 Squier Bullet Strats and it's a far superior guitar in every possible way--unless you have to have nitro over poly.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

13. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA

14. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    OK, upon review, that thread gets quite off-track, but is still a good read.

The one positive review comes from someone who has 7 posts there, but took the time to brag about how well it did in their NYC gigs. So...

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't hate it, but without the FB pickups, what's the point?

16. backporchmusic

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I did play one of the Epi JB models, and it was nice. But it was 799. I played a Gibson 2016 two pickup model that sold for 1099 and was nicer. I would have bought one, but they only came in tobacco sunburst, or whatever they call that. Pelham blue? Would have bought in a second.

I do own two 2016 SGs, so I think Gibson figured out their QC by then--but this 2017 low-end line should just be ignored, unless they end up giving them away with Happy Meals.

FenderGyrl likes this.

17. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I love firebirds , always have always will , how this unit plays who knows, but I bet you could make it rock!

My epi herd!

P1011554.JPG

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    They have one at GC in Brookfield. I was excited to try one. I have a Studio Firebird that I love. I have Melody Makers that I love. The Zero felt like a cobbled together mistake.

I really wanted to like it.

I like to be the parade and not the rain but I'm the rain on this one.

If they end up on Amazon for $200 I'll buy one.

FenderGyrl likes this.

19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    Hey FG, I say forgo that turkey and set your sights on what Mr. Collins is rockin' here -

ReaL Madras likes this.

20. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Pardon me for being so forward, but you are FenderGyrl. Is nothing sacred?

FenderGyrl likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.