Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson/Epiphone Explorer for rock and jazz??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cobrat, Jun 3, 2010.

1. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2009
    New York
    Out of curiosity, do the pickups which come on the Gibson or Epiphone(Korina) explorer guitars have the versatility for jazz guitar or is that just a pipe dream?

Also, is $840 before tax for a somewhat reliced gibby explorer with hard case a good price or not?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There are a lot of different Explorers that have been built. $800 would be a bargain for some. for others, it might be too much considering condition.
    Jazz??? Again, which Explorer? And....it is up to the player to get what can be had out of a guitar. The Explorer is definitely not what most people would think of when they go to choose a guitar on which to play jazz....but I am sure that it has been used by someone to play some tyep of jazz at some point in time.

3. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2009
    New York
    It is a black standard gibson explorer that normally goes for $1300+ on musiciansfriend/GC from 2008 like these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=517320

4. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Explorer

Those newer Explorers have super hot pickups on them I think they are real hot ceramic humbuckers, like a 500T in the bridge, if I'm not mistaken.

I like hot pickups because they push the pre amp on a good tube amp harder and you get great distortion. I think you can get some good cleans out of a hot ceramic pickup though, as well.

I have an Ibanez lawsuit Destroyer copy of the Explorer and it is great sounding.

I saw Santana playing a Firebird the other night, but that has mini humbuckers on it for a cleaner sound supposedly.

I don't think it has as much to do with your guitar as it does with your playing style. If you are trying to copy some other jazz player then you would probably want to try to get close to that sound and might need to use some specific type of equipment, guitar and amp. But if you are rocking with your own style of jazz sound then you can use whatever you want.

The Explorer is an awesome guitar, capable of a lot in the right hands.

I would buy one in a second if I had a great deal looking at me before someone else snatches it up quicker than human waste material.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.