Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibbons Squier.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by bender66, Jun 17, 2017.

1. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    What's the word Thunderbird?
    image.jpg

pondcaster, Kojer, RodeoTex and 7 others like this.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As long as it'll "honk" Billy doesn't care what name is on it. It's Billy's"partscaster" but does that make it worth less?

They are a pretty simple guitars and IMHO tough to get wrong as many here who have built, assembled, or modified them would probably agree. If it sounds right and plays well the brand name it carries really shouldn't be all that much of an issue. So why do some try to make it one?

3. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Never seen that one.

4. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    My first electric was a very old Fender Mustang that I picked up for $100 in about 1978-79. I got really into playing and moved up to a Strat pretty quickly and sold that Mustang to a friend who was working in those days as a concierge at one of Tucson's finer hotels. Where it happened that the ZZ Top guys stayed whenever they were in town, which they seemed to be a lot in those days - between high school in the mid-70's and young adulthood in the early 80's, I saw them play a bunch there. He took care of their various needs when they were in town and got to be quite friendly with Gibbons in particular.

This buddy of mine didn't know how to play a lick when I first passed that guitar onto him, so he showed it to Gibbons one night when they were hanging out and reported back to me the next time I saw him that Gibbons plugged it into whatever practice amp he had in his room at the time and played it for about 20 minutes, sounded just exactly like Billy Gibbons, expressed admiration for the guitar, and passed it back to my friend. I'm sure that little axe had never been played as well before or since and I understand that old friend of mine (who I've long since lost touch with, although I'm still in touch with a couple of mutual friends) never learned to play but he still has that guitar.

A player like Gibbons can make any guitar sound amazing if he likes the feel of playing it... I never met the man but I've always felt vaguely honored to have shared a guitar with him, however briefly...

One of only two extremely thin brushes with guitar greatness I had in my youth. The other was the summer of '78 when I was a room service waiter at another local hotel, got a big order for drinks, took them to the room, and for the 30 seconds or so I was at the door, got to see and hear Keith and Ronnie Wood sitting on the beds playing acoustics. I was star struck but still made it to their show the next night. Whoever I handed the drinks to from their entourage tipped like crap, but I didn't care...

-Ray

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    maloburro and soulman969 like this.

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    the hype and advertising of the industry has created fashion-victims.:rolleyes: More is better, bling-bling
    The Reverend could pick up anything and get it to sound great imho. maybe;)

Kojer and soulman969 like this.

6. TheOneTrueSID

TheOneTrueSID TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    USA
    That pic is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time...

RodeoTex likes this.

7. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Some obsevation. Thats not exactly a photograph and could easily be an artist rendering of a gibbons plays squire fantasy. But i'll play along. The no pickguard is interesting and allows for easy adjustment of neck pu. And the bridge looks like a top loader. That and a maple board suggests affinity tele rather than a more expensive model. Am i wrong?

8. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Didn't think the op was. But I'd sure like to see one of those on the wall at GC. Sharp!

bender66 likes this.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Oh, neither did I. That was just a toss off statement for general consumption since the questions always come up about the $$$ worth of imported guitars. I like to look at worth based on how it sounds and plays along with a little emphasis on appearance as well. Fit and finish should be top notch.

But yeah. As long as Fender is into making artists tribute models that one would certainly attract attention from many of us. Of course the bigger problem might be Rev. Billy's cut of each sale. Would anyone pay $100-$200 more for it than a stock CV? That does tie into my thinking about value no matter what brand name is on the headstock. :)

bender66 likes this.

10. adamajah

adamajah TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    out west
    I wouldn't be surprised if he had the decal put on just to mess with gear nerds. Not that he'd not play a squier, but everything he plays out seems to be custom these days.

11. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    There was a brief run of Indonesian Standards from 1997 to 98 that had wide, thicker bridges and some of the nicest maple 21 feet necks you'll ever see. They quickly threw the brakes on that and came up the (blech) 22 fret Rosewood affairs that you've seen since. I hope this is what that is, as it would validate my deep love for my 98 Squier that almost makes me wonder sometimes. Despite nicer players and lookers in my guit-harem, I always turn to that thing when I know I'll need extra schmaltz.

12. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    And given that they came in colors like green and purple, I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear he played one and melted the finish off. Wish I could see that bridge better....

13. MonkeyJefferson

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    The bridge looks to me like one of the 6 barrel deals that came with the late 90'd Indonesian stuff....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.