Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Giant floating boom aims to clean up Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Sep 8, 2018.

1. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I don't have a problem with them making a buck, they have got kids that need to eat and bills to pay too.

The local and state govt should be putting what they save on not having to pick up and dispose of this waste into the schools, roads, water etc

I'm not a bleeding heart lefty but my family and friends all recognise that there are things that we should do to enable our kids, grandkids and great grandkids to inherit a world that is at least as good as the one we came into.

drlucky, Tele-beeb, teleman1 and 2 others like this.
  2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 5, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
  3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    They’re also dumping their plastic into the Raincouver economy

telestratosonic and awasson like this.
  4. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    On the coast, almost all of our plastic goes to recycling. Now you can send in overwrap, plastic bags, Chinese takeout containers, styrofoam packing and they just started a pilot program for chips bags and things like ziplocks where you’ve got two different types of plastics for the bag and the zipper.

EDIT: Depends on you location. Most recycling is picked up at curb side but overwrap, batteries, paint, electronics have to be dropped off.

Green waste, food scraps and that sort of thing goes in a separate can to be sent to be composted.

So our weekly pickup consists of a tiny wee bag of garbage, some green waste and a bunch of recycling.

5. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    China and India (and others) don't really care what Americans think. They just figure Americans will pay for and fix it all for them. So far, so good for them.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Its a dirty job - but somebodys got to do it .

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  8. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Well to be fair America, UK and Canada were really good at polluting when we ramped up our industries at home. Then when we began outsourcing and taught other nations to build our crap for less we also taught them our habits of how to dump and walk away.

As I mentioned earlier, Canada didn’t put legislation in place to ban the practice of dumping waste at sea until 1975 and I’ll bet America wrote their legislation around the same time. The industrial revolution began in 1760 so we’ve had a hell of a long time to be dumping.

I’m going to work in round numbers and say that the west started wholesale outsourcing in the 1970’s, so for about 40 years we’ve been delegating our manufacturing to various 3rd world countries. We still had 200 years of dumping and polluting before we asked them to join in the fun.

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  9. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

All this contraption is, is good intentions. It kind of reminds me of when they tell us that driving an electric car will prevent further warming of the ocean. Man is too small and insignificant to terraform. Aint happening.

10. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Actually. Good Intentions are things you think about doing but you don’t. Ie: “the road to hell is paved with good intentions”. This thing on the other hand is actually being put into practice.

Now as for your comment about man being too small and insignificant... That’s just lazy thinking. We are the ones doing the damage for crying out loud. Of course it’s our job to find a solution and solve it. Who else is going to do it?

Have you ever been in a traffic jam on a freeway or highway and thought to yourself wow, imagine if all of these hundreds and hundreds of cars sitting idling didn’t have exhaust pipes? I have and I’m a total hot rod gearhead. It would make a profound difference and could be accomplished by little insignificant us.

drlucky likes this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Long overdue.
    Good step in the right direction.

awasson likes this.
  12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    the local and state governments don't make anything on recycling. a decade or so ago, penn and teller did a mini documentary on trash vs. recycling. Plastic has no economic value, and sending a separate truck costs about 185 a ton or so for collecting and dealing with each ton of recycling. At the time, it cost about $35 a ton to pick up an dispose of garbage in a landfill. There is no shortage of ground for disposing of refuse around here, and the energy and cost intensive recyling projects for low value recyclables that create low value end products aren't automatically an environmental gain.

In short, there is no money saved by the governments, it's additional revenue needed to run the programs.

if you want to do something material for society and nature, conserve and reuse everything you can.

If you live in participating township like I do, you pay for recycling no matter what. It's not an option - if you have an address in the township, by law, you pay for combination trash and recycling pickup.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penn's Woods
    I remember watching that show.
    They made the point that if plastic recycling was viable, consumers would be paid for collecting and recycling it.

awasson likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I'm sure that some of the costs have narrowed. We have (in my neighborhood) more recycled goods now, and the truck that takes them is a driver only with an automated arm. Presumably cost improvements have been made at the sorting center areas, too, as the business to supply equipment to those places that automates some of the sorting must be pretty competitive (it's a big market with a lot of money in it).

But I'm also sure that it still costs a lot more to recycle, and you never really had to entice people to collect aluminum cans in the old days. It feels nice to me to know that plastic isn't going into the ground, but I couldn't say for sure the environment is actually better off because of it. It may use so much energy to cart worthless stuff around, sort it, try to come up with a usable end product from it, etc, that it's worse.

Even at that, it seems like a false dilemma to me: "do we throw it away, or recycle it, those are our only choices".

In the old days, we didn't use it at all - or nearly at all. the only plastic containers I recall as a kid were milk jugs.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.