Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Giant floating boom aims to clean up Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Sep 8, 2018.

1. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    I don't know if this will have geo location blocks on it but it is worth a watch and a real eyeopener to how much waste we generate and how recycling is ( or is not handled ) here in Oz.

I expect most countries will be much the same with quantities going up or down depending on population and level of cultural development ( 1st, 2nd, 3rd world )

https://iview.abc.net.au/collection/1389

2. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I heard a report on a typical left leaning radio program. I thought they’d say the garbage pile was our fault... however, even with the self destructive bias, it seems... the fault lies with other, less educated, less self accountable cultures (societies.) Take heart, I feel that giant garbage pile is out of the hands of the accountable, educated first world.

3. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Sadly that is the problem, the 3rd world is terrible but we all have a part to play and need to accept that fact

drlucky, nojazzhere and awasson like this.

4. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I respect that some may accept that guilt. I’d be surprised if they were so quick to back up that feeling with personal responsibility. I think they’d be quicker to transfer that guilt to others. Nah, I don’t allow my trash in the waterways, I won’t accept guilt for another’s irresponsibility. I buy products from the socially responsible first world when I can... that’s part of why I do.
    By the way, you can find plenty of threads here explaining why it’s fine to buy a non-MIA or England this or that.
    Last I checked, they are heavily regulated and don’t dump trash in water. I try.

suthol likes this.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    It’s not actually visable. Not able to be seen... not from space, and not in person.

“It is possible to sail through "garbage patch" areas in the Pacific and see very little or no debris on the water's surface.”

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/garbagepatch.html

I’m not suggesting that there be no efforts at cleaning and maintaining our resources, but the nature of this thing has been overblown. If you a read story about this so-called trash island, and the story has a picture of the trash island in question, you may want to reconsider the validity of that report.

6. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Easy on the holier that thou sentiments. We in the 1st world are not free of guilt. Not by a long-shot.

I’m not that old but I can remember watching barges at night taking crap out to dump at sea when I was a kid. Canada passed legislation in 1975 to ban the practice. I don’t know when the US passed legislation. Today many waste systems in 1st world countries (think Canada/US) dump untreated raw sewag into oceans, streams, rivers, etc... it goes on even today.

I’ve been actively recycling since the 1970’s and I don’t litter. I buy things keeping in mind how the packaging will be disposed of. I do my part so in simple terms I shouldn’t have to worry but simple doesn’t work. If someone half way around the world isn’t enlightened enough not to live responsibly, my actions don’t really buy me bonus points. It lessens the issue but it’s still there, so damn rights I’ll help with the solution. It’s better than allowing the wholesale poisoning the oceans.

Bottom line is we all live in this planet and not long ago we were quite busy dumping directly into the ocean so we all have to be part of the solution. What goes around comes around.

drlucky and nojazzhere like this.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder if there's some way to use the plastic waste, as fuel for the recovery contraption. Because the recovery expense, the cost of shipping all the recovered waste to some place to be made into porch decking or whatever, would exceed the current cost of waste plastic at the land based recyclers next to the decking or lawn chair manufacturing plant.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Thanks for the reprimand
    Go clean it up if you want
    I respectfully feel too many people take responsibility for stuff they know nothing about
    Keep that holier slogan for yourself... go clean up something

Toto'sDad likes this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Labor costs are substantially less in the developing world. They can attempt plastics recovery and lose far less money than one would lose using German or Canadian labor.

And when I think of the way Jamaicans and Costa Ricans were re-using beer bottles many times over and at the same time we in the USA were smashing them, I know everyone has something to offer to try and get things better.

drlucky and nojazzhere like this.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I cleaned out my refrigerator of left overs tonight. Mmmmm good.

11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We have likes. Why don't we have dislikes? Then we could see who knows and who doesn't. But it is easy to see who knows and who doesn't. And you probably agree with what I'm saying; the ones that know and the ones who don't. Common sense and logic are not what they should be in these days when we need it the most.

nojazzhere, suthol and awasson like this.

12. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wow. I didn’t mean to scold you and sorry you took it that way. It just seems you and I do our best to be responsible. I was sharing my point of view about how I’m looking at getting it fixed in our lifetime.

By the way, I’m no scientist but I know a fair bit about this particular subject. I’ve worked with an Australian organization that’s looking at the garbage patch specifically and I’ve worked with a Canadian organization that is involved in general water issues.

Now, what is it you’d like cleaned up?

drlucky, nojazzhere and Tele-beeb like this.

13. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    THe third world can only learn from our example. OOOPs, we have no example.

nojazzhere, suthol and awasson like this.

14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I had Pizza. Pizza from Whole Foods of all places. It was priced somewhere around Panago or Boston Pizza but Muma MIA! It was fantastic!

Toto'sDad likes this.

15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I usually make a pot of Japanese rice when I’m going to devour leftovers. Get a plate of rice, heat up the leftovers and pour em right on top of the rice. Been doing it all my life. We throw out as much food in a year as some throw out in a week.

16. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s what we call stir fry in my house. We’re fancy like that.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Sounds delicious!

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

what about an inflatable Kapow! or a Kaboom! to go with the blow up Boom!... that should scare that plastic monster away....:D

this guy could help.... seems to have bases covered...

boom.jpg kaboom.jpg kapow.jpg kapow guy.jpg

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Seems like in our global marketplace where first world businesses have chosen third world cheap labor and lax environmental regulations, and first world consumers consume consume consume the disposable import goods, then bring the refuse to the curb or maybe the dump, none of us can really point the finger away from ourselves; unless we live off the grid, or spend much of our spare time doing volunteer labor.

Buried in landfills isn't a whole lot more holy than floating in the ocean.
    A huge portion of single sort recycling we leave on the curb gets put back in with the garbage for landfill, but municipalities collect it separately to keep us feeling like we've done our part so we'll keep asking Alexa for more.

I try to consume in moderation, avoid overly packaged products, don't buy disposable products if there are long lasting equivalents, repair stuff when it breaks, get good used stuff from the dump when possible, buy used rather than new, and don't eat fast food; but I'm still a first world waster who takes a hot shower every day and flushes the toilet with drinking water.

We have water shortages all over the US now but we still haven't figured out a less wasteful flush toilet. Slow US tech advancement!

We over package everything, throw away tons and tons of food, pollute and waste massive amounts of resources making 20 healthy grain meals into one unhealthy meat meal, and habitually buy disposable crap products from China while claiming we have no other choice.

There's plenty a single individual can do to make less garbage.

IMO our biggest enemy is apathy, and the insistent claim that there's nothing we can do.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What bugs me are the recycle companies. THey make millions off of us doing the right thing. Be great if recycling led to, better schools, less pot holes and maybe cleaner water. No, but they have a house on the hill. Private sector works for the private sector. Get them involved in humanitarian causes? Doesn't work, cause that is giving back a long lost art. Art and private sector do rarely mix properly.

awasson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.