Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Giant floating boom aims to clean up Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frank'n'censed, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I wonder if Elon come up with this idea during a moment of "inspiration"?

3. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    It is incredible to me that people litter the way they do.

I LOVE plastic. But I think it should and could be used responsibly. Not by limiting it's use but by disposing of it properly.

I love that this guy is ....................wait for it........TRYING.
    Now I dunno how much gov't funding or what political games are also involved with this project.... but..... Good God. SOMEBODY has to try to do SOMETHING. Scientists sitting back and talking about how it'll fail and what it might NOT do... is just so sweet.
    Like, where's YOUR idea? That YOU tried?
    Sure, multi-faceted approaches are needed. But starting SOME WHERE ain't so bad.

Changing the temperature of the sea or earth... complicated and tough. Dealing with depletion of species that increasing populations eat... same. LOTSA complex and tough issues out there.... but... litter?

To me this issue seems like a total no-brainer. I don't know why this isn't more of a talking point for ....EVERYBODY, and something that is getting addressed from all angles.

I hope this endeavor is wildly successful. And that it somehow yields monetary profit and fame so that people are encouraged and motivated, and it is repeated and continued.

drlucky, catdaddy, bender66 and 3 others like this.

4. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I would guess how much but it sure seems to me that a huge percentage of plastic could be replaced with biodegradeable material.

Flakey, LPTyler and nojazzhere like this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I am NOT one of those that jumps on every far-fetched theory as to chemicals causing all sorts of strange human conditions.....BUT....(there's the but) I do know that many problems we experience today (autism, dementia, Alzheimers, cancers, etc.) were NOT as prevalent back when we stored foods and medicines in glass and tin, and not in plastics and aluminum. It just makes me wonder.

emisilly and dallasblues like this.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Or containers that could be RE-USED...not just recycled.

ce24 and awasson like this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    While we enjoy the cheshire cat grin on our savior moving a pile of trash from one spot to another, we can expect to wake up and find we've been robbed of something else, like affordable clean water...

BTW, now that China no longer wants to buy our trash for recycling, who will accept the Texas/ Oklahoma/ Arkansas/ Louisiana/ Mississippi size garbage pile?
    Mexico?

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Aw c'mon are you nuts?
    Return the containers, wash them, put more soda/ beer/ water/ milk in them and sell them to us again??

Never happen.

drlucky, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Little known fact:

CAPITAL LETTERS take 70% more electricity to transmit than lower case letters. The arm chair environmentalists of the world use three times more Capital Letters than the average person. You think they'd be more careful with their use of this dwindling resource.

Source: The International Committee for the Proper Use of Ellipsis

10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

We just finished putting 220 mason Jars in the basement just this week. This week was apple pie jam, applesauce,apple butter, apple pie filling, cherry cayenne pepper jam, cherry jam, green Chile’s, pickled banana peppers, jalapeños, stewed tomatoes and salsa. Last week was peach everything and pickled Italian veggies and 3 kinds of pickles. Never counted how many are down there but I sure do like them all winter long ! Have to have New lids but the mason jars last a many a year. My sister has been here for a month helping can and freeze.

I’m not going hungry any time soon :)

I do hope we figure out a way to eliminate so much waste. It unimaginable!

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    I saw that. We don’t own the planet, we borrow it from our kids. Good on ‘em for it.

JayFreddy, awasson and Nickadermis like this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    So, does that make you an ANTI-CAPITALIST?

drlucky, Flakey, emisilly and 6 others like this.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I prefer to think of myself as non-lower case.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Usta happen.

15. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    If it can do half of what they want it will be very successful. Imagine a pile of plastic twice the size of Texas in the Pacific. It needs cleaning up.

Toto'sDad and alnicopu like this.

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    The solution is for consumers to stop buying stuff made or packaged with plastic. Otherwise, we will just have to keep cleaning up the same mess over and over again.

Oh, and BTW, the plastic in the ocean still exists after the cleanup.

Is that pile jacket made out of plastic? Yes it is.

17. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Ive been watching this effort. Glad it’s on the move now. Last I checked they were still testing locally.

18. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    My nephew has invented a way to convert that stuff back to gasoline, diesel and naphtha. Send it to him. He runs his diesel truck off of it.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I'd send an incinerator barge out there. You can't really argue that it would create too much heat, you could just cool it with seawater.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.