Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

GFS strat trems - any good?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by appar111, Dec 8, 2008.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I need to get a vintage strat trem w/ USA/vintage spec spacing for a strat project. I won't be using the trem, I'll just block it.

I was looking into the Gotoh vintage strat trem from guitarpartsresource.com for around $40, and saw that Guitar Fetish has strat trems with solid steel trem blocks for $35-38. The Gotoh has a cast block, which may or may not affect the overall tone if I block the trem anyway.

Are the GFS trems any good, or should I just go with the Gotoh?

2. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2008
    New England
    I would not use a cast trem block. I would try to find a used Fender Trem.

3. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    The GFS one isn't cast, the Gotoh one is. It needs to be a 6-point vintage trem, so a modern 2 point American strat trem won't work. It's going on a Warmoth body with the mounting screw holes for a vintage strat trem.

4. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2008
    New England
    Yes, a two point would not work, a Vintage RI trem will, part number 0019642000. These trem's come on 57 RI, 62 RI and Custom Shop 50's and 60's Strats etc, etc......

5. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    yeah, but how much do those cost?

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I got mine for $69.00 a few years back and worth every penny IMO. I have not seen it for less than 89.00 in recent ebay sales, 100 @ guitar parts resource apparently.

7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I used a Wilkerson Vintage Spaced Trem on this recent build, and it has the Solid Steel Block, w/ a Great Push in arm....stamped steel saddles, etc...and looks as good or better than anything Fender makes, and was around $36.95 I think ?

[​IMG]

8. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio

That's too much coin for me for this project.

I had a Gotoh strat trem on another short-lived project (sold it because I needed the money) and the $40 Gotoh sounded fine to me, and that was with a cast block. I'd think the GFS might sound a little better/more sustain with the solid steel block.

9. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Do you think the Wilkinson would be better quality than the GFS or the Gotoh trems?

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'd give that GFS one a shot myself.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just don't ever like to skimp on the tuners, nut or bridge assembly. I can triage a less expensive neck most of the time but I think a good bridge is just too important to fudge on. Rather cheat and nibble on the pickups, pots, caps, etc.

12. -I have a Gotoh bridge on the Strat in my pic. Although I rarely use it, it's been a very good bridge. But one thing for sure is that I'm going to have to pick up one of those replacement steel blocks from GFS.

L8R,
    Matt

13. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I don't consider the GFS over the Gotoh as skimping since it has the better trem block on it. Is the GFS stuff really that bad?

14. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    No , they are not bad at all....I have two strats with the tremolo with the steel block , and like them. Will I get something better from more expensive bridges ? I dont know.....Some of the parts they sell will be what is used on cheap Squiers etc , so look around on their site. The vintage tuners are also excellent.

15. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I figure the stuff that they have on their website made for USA spacing is meant to go on USA guitars, so perhaps I'm making the erroneous assumption that they're going to be of slightly better quality than what would go on a Squier?

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on Ebay for a USA vintage trem like the '62 Reissue (which I think is the same that's used on the Clapton & Malmsteen strats). If nothing pops up this week, I can get one online for about $79 (I shopped around last night).

I got to thinking what Boris Bubbanov said, and higher quality parts are never a bad idea. I have another "frankenstrat" that already works great for me. If it takes me longer to put this strat together because the parts are a little more expensive (but higher quality) than I originally planned on, then so be it. I'll end up having a much more solid instrument at the end of the day.

My frankenstrat has a warmoth alder strat body, USACG 2-pc maple neck w/ SS frets, and has a Fender US vintage hardtail strat bridge (which I got for $15 new!), Gotoh klusons (which are friggin' great), bone nut installed by my local luthier, and a PAF Pro in the bridge w/ a 500K CTS pot. I didn't skimp on that guitar, just pieced it together as budget allowed, and it's damn near perfect.

16. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I put a GFS 6-screw trem on my project Strat (the import-spaced one, not the USA-spaced one). It worked fine for me. No complaints.

17. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I recently replaced a cast block with a GFS steel replacement block.

Huge improvement.

I've used their steel saddles on a couple of bridges as well.

I'd use the GFS bridge in a heartbeat.

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I just got an American Standard type two point bridge from GFS for the build I'm doing, and I am very impressed with it's quality. Massive steel sustain block and stainless steel saddles. Very nice.

19. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio

Well, it would be about 1/2 the price of a US vintage bridge like the '62 Reissue ($37 vs. $79), and I don't care if it has "Fender" stamped on the saddles.

Maybe I will pick up the GFS bridge w/ the steel block instead of an official Fender bridge....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.