Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

GFS Pickup WIRING HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by smaug, Dec 13, 2006.

1. smaug

smaug TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2006
    portugal
    hi folks

I got a brand new set of GFS pickups from guitarfetish, the lil puncher model.

I need to wire them into my telecaster in a regular 3 way wiring and I need a diagram.

I got one from Guitar electronics but I dind't understand it! Is it supose to sold and tape one wire to the other of the same humbucker??

I don't understand what to do with so mutch ground wires! I'm lost here can anyone point me another diagram??

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    How many wires come out of the Lil' Puncher? Old-school humbuckers have just two (usually one hot wire running inside a braided metal ground wire). These kind are easy wire, because they have two wires, just like a single-coil pickup.

Some humbuckers, however, have four wires (two from each coil). With this setup, you can add a coil-tap to access just one coil (instant single-coil!). This, of course, requires more wiring and it can get complicated.

If you want to use the humbucker as a plain, old, non-splittable pickup, you join two of the four wires (solder & tape) and you're back to two wires. WHICH TWO WIRES depends on the pickup. It should say in the docs that came with the pickup -- a 'bucker I got from GFS spelled it out.

Good luck!!!

3. smaug

smaug TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2006
    portugal
    I've found a great piece of information on a similar seymour duncan pickup

can I use that to wire up my GFS pickup? I've checked and they use the same color codes

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    Green is hot (connect to switch)
    Black is Ground
    Red and White should be taped together

I hope this helps!

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Mar 25, 2006
    I've never bought any pickups from GFS that didn't have a wiring diagram in the box with them.

7. smaug

smaug TDPRI Member

Nov 21, 2006
    portugal
    the diagram they bring is awfull!!

the neck pickup has a red and a white connected cables a green cable and a black cable connected to a simple metal cable, so the green is "hot" and the black is "ground" right?

the bridge pickup as the same red-white connected and green cables but the black cable and the simple metal cable aren't connected, I should connected and use that as ground cable, right??

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Mar 25, 2006
    Solder the red and the white wires together. They might already be soldered together. Cover them with electric tape, or shink wrap. Tape's probably better.

Connect the black wire, and the bare wire to the back of a pot, to ground them.

Connect the green wire to the switch.

I'm pretty sure that'll work.

Pete

9. strummin67

strummin67 Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I just put in a GFS Lil Puncher in my '95 and yes, the directions are terrible. Thanks to you guys I'm up and running. :D

10. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah, the GFS instructions are a bit overhyped, but at least they give you instructions and hardware, because when I ordered some Dragonfire PUs, they did not include any instructions or hardware with the new PUs, but luckily I am kind of a pack rat, so I had some extra parts, in order to install the PUs.

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, same here. And I've had no trouble reading it.

12. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Duncan website has a wiring diagram for every Tele configuration known to man. I use them all the time. It's the best wiring resource I've been able to find.

13. twfender

twfender TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Estacada Oregon
    I bought a Dragonfire hot rail humbucker from guitarpartsonline.com (TNT Guitars) and can't find a wiring diagram for it. I didn't get one with the pickup. Does anyone out there have one? If so please post it or tell me what color wire goes where?

14. robrgk

robrgk NEW MEMBER!

Mar 30, 2016
    Canada
    Hi I have a 1986 Japanese Tele with wiring that is a mess. It has a 3 way toggle and a mini toggle for coil split.The neck Humbucker has 2 sets of red , white and bare wire coming out. There is also a red . white , ground coming off the micro switch. And also a white , and a ground soldered to the volume pot. I know nothing about wiring and cant seem to find a diagram for this configuration.
    Any help would be appreciated. P1010161.JPG P1010162.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.