Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

GFS pedals, any opinions on them

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telelive, Jun 27, 2011.

1. telelive

telelive TDPRI Member

I recently bought a GFS Sweet Sparkle Compressor. My intial opinion is it's built very rugged, jacks and switch appear to be heavy duty and long lasting. The wonderful way it makes notes and chords "bloom" as GFS says, is very true. No pumping or swooshing of notes and chords, extremely transparent, non-tone changing and the two controls, output and sensitivity are nicely effective throughout the entire range of sweep.

I am looking to maybe get the Bluesdrive pedal as well.

Does anyone else have any experience with these pedals?

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Holic

My opinion has been formed on the soundclips GFS has on their site and I'm not impressed with their overdrive or distortion pedals.

I think the general consensus here is they're good budget pedals, but if you're looking for quality overdrive or distortion there are better, albeit more expensive, options.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I gotta admit I do like the Gearmanndude demos of the Greenie Classic and the Brownie Classic; they both sound versatile and powerful in their respective "Tube Screamer type" and "Rat type?" ) domains, IMO.

edit: as they are Biyang pedals I'd go for the smalller MXR -size Biyang 'Baby Boom' series of the same basic pedals just as I dig the smaller size...but that' just me;)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

I LOVE my Brownie Classic.

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Tele-Holic

7. Chiogtr4x

I love the GMD video as he really seems to put it thru its paces- Is there a good range on the Gain and Tone controls?
    I play older '60's and '70's rock and blues, need a good powerful singing lead distortion tone once in a while, but would not want to be stuck with an over the top Zak Wilde/more modern distortion (super rich distortion/squealy harmonics)- nothing wrong with that, it is just not my style- but it did seem that the Brownie Classic had the capacity to bring the Gain and high-end Tone down a bit and warm things up, Yes?? Thanks ;)

8. blowtorch

Chiogtr4x- It fits the bill of what you describe. There is a 3-mode switch that doesn't fundamentally do a lot, but the gain and tone controls both do have a good range. I also watched the GMD vid and got excited and HAD to have one.

9. Chiogtr4x

You have said all the wrong (right) things here! Gonna have to check one out!;) thanks, joe

10. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Not an effects pedal, but I picked up one of their pedal tuners for a small pedal board and wasn't happy with it. The switch had a loud pop, and sometimes did not go from bypass mode to non- bypass. It also didn't seem to track well - I had trouble getting an accurate reading out of it. It's off my board and I'll be trying to sell it. I replaced it with a Korg Pitchblack - more expensive but a better value (because it works).

11. blowtorch

teleglide, I really like my GFS pedal tuner, sorry you've had issues with yours.

12. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Maybe I got a dud - it happens.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.