Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

GFS NY Surface mount pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jerolin, May 23, 2009.

1. Jerolin

Jerolin Tele-Holic

Aug 22, 2008
    Texarkana, TX
    I recently acquired a Hagstrom II or III body, can't tell by looking at it which it was since it didn't come with a pickguard.

I've already got an all original '68 Hagstrom II, so I'm not really interested in going out of my way to hunt down original parts. I plan on cutting a new pickguard and putting some Guitar Fetish surface mount pickups on it.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Guitar Fetish's website said they're comparable to DeArmonds, and I love those.

I plan on using a GFS NYII in the neck:
    [​IMG]

and a GFS NYIII in the bridge position:
    [​IMG]

To further make any Hagstrom die-hards cringe, I plan on putting a roller bridge on, filling in the body where the old tremolo was, and installing one of those Guitar Fetish surface mount whammy bars (teisco style) in place of the Hagstrom Tremar tremolo which I'm not a huge fan of.

Just curious what you guys thought.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Hi, I have the NYII's in one guitar and had a NYIII in another guitar for a while. They are both good sounding pickups. Keep in mind the single coils are way louder than the humbuckers, so I'm not sure that having one of each would be a good idea. Although I've never had DeArmonds, the consensus seems to be that the NYII's are closer to P-90s in sound. The NYIII's, in my opinion, have more of a Filtertron sound to them. I had one as a bridge pickup in a guitar and my first impression was that it sounded a lot like Malcolm Young's Gretsch.

Pat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.