Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

GFS Jazzmaster pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zook, Sep 20, 2010.

1. zook

zook Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone tried them? I'd like to know how they sound.

Thanks.

Winnie

2. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

I have some in a MIJ JM; they sound great. I also have a 1965 JM, the GFS PU's sound a little better than the vintage ones; a little more sparkle and depth.
    I highly recommend them.

3. zook

zook Tele-Afflicted

Are yours the vintage wound or overwound?

Thanks.

Winnie

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

6. zook

zook Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, that is very helpful,

I have an MIJ Jazzmaster and want to upgrade the pickups. I'd love to get Lollars, but they're too pricey for me at this time.

Winnie

7. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

I got the vintage wound. My MIJ JM is a sweet looking and playing guitar, but the orignal PU's were a weak link. The GFS PU's really made it a great sounding guitar.

8. jimbcac

jimbcac TDPRI Member

well I know this is an old and dusty thread (cough cough, dust dust)..I had read here in
    these here pages about how the bridge pickup on the squier jm kind of sucked. So
    I got a GFS bridge pickup.. Just installed it.. Basic impression is the pickup has a
    more 'clear' sound, without being sharp or brittle.. Do I like it better then the
    DD pickup that came with guitar.... Well sorta.. Am I going to leave it in there...
    Well maybe, probly.....Overall would say is an improvement. Also ordered a STAYTREM
    bridge.... cost 65 pounds (pounds of WHAT??) TRanslated into an even C note
    American money.....THe bridge was the one thing about the guitar that AI was not
    happy with. So am looking forward to the British unit.. Will let you folks know.
    Stupid me also sprayed a bunch of 'Deoxit' on the pots thinking that was the cause
    of the buzzing sound. Was not. And the deoxit gummed up the neck pickup pots and wheel
    controls to the degree that those
    controls no longer worked at al.. Bummer...
    Had to take pickguard off and clean pots, Got use of switch and wheel controls back..
    SO far this 'inexpensive' guitar is getting pretty spendy with improvements.. Still
    cheaper then the Japanese model, but getting there....

best
    jim in gold bar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.