Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

GFS Gibson-style jack plate...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Boolywho, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Boolywho

Boolywho Tele-Meister

Has anyone used these Gibson-style jack plates before?
    gibson plate.jpg

Do they fit the curve found around the jack hole of a standard tele?

I ask because I've been hacking away at my jack hole area trying to get an electrosocket to fit flush, and I might just need to cover the whole thing up if I can't make it look good :cry:. This GFS thing seems like if might fit the bill. Thanks for your info!

2. xbearxau

xbearxau Tele-Meister

Does your body have the flat section where the jack goes or is it an even curve all the way around? Pics might help.

3. M Black

M Black Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Worked for me on this one...

[​IMG]

6. JNow

JNow TDPRI Member

I installed one on my build...it is curved a little much for the flat spot

What I did was took two pieces of 1 inch scrap boards, drilled a 7/8 inch hole in one so the recessed part fit into it, sandwiched it all together and squeezed it flat in a vice...worked great, fits flush, looks sharp.

7. Boolywho

Boolywho Tele-Meister

Mine is curved all the way around.

8. Boolywho

Boolywho Tele-Meister

Do these GFS "football" plates work with the tele curve too?
    gibson football.jpg

Do they cover as much thickness as the square ones mentioned above? I just want to make sure I can cover up my (lack of) handywork. I've reamed out about a 1" opening (from the original 7/8" hole). Do you think the GFS football plate would cover this?

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

I have used the GFS curved football and square jacks.

10. Boolywho

Boolywho Tele-Meister

Is the square one wider in the vertical dimension (going along the thickness of the guitar body) than the football? Do you think it would cover up my hole still? It somehow seems smaller than the square one, at least in the pictures GFS has posted.

11. PlutoLex

PlutoLex Tele-Meister

I believe that my 'football' plate is from Grizzly, but it is 1" at its widest.

An Allparts square plate is 1.5"

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

I am almost certain the GFS football jack is wider than the GFS square jack, but the square jack is taller than the football jack.

13. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

i have an allparts football and a GFS square jack.

the square is 1 1/8" x 1 7/16"

the football is 1" x 1 7/8"

a heads-up to anyone else who might be buying these in quantity, grizzly sells squares on amazon for $3 instead of $5.50 at GFS.

14. PlutoLex

PlutoLex Tele-Meister

For both Grizzly and GFS, if they are the only thing you are ordering the shipping will get you. Plus, both are pretty thin metal. The Allparts plates cost me less on eBay due to the shipping and they are nice thick plates, but don't have the recess.

15. bellis

bellis TDPRI Member

It's your standard jack plate. I've used both styles on different guitars and they seem to fit the curves of LP, Tele, and Strat knockoffs. The biggest problem (if it can even be called that) is some slight compression of the clear layer of the finish on the edges of the plate, particularly with the football plate.

I actually believe the square one is slightly wider than the football. And only order from GFS if you're getting $100+ worth of product, the shipping charges are the only downside to getting anything from them. I usually wait until I need to replenish supplies, and even then I order for friends at the same time to save on shipping.

I'd also like to add that I've been very happy with the GFS stuff I've purchased, and I've gotten quite a selection over the last year.

16. Boolywho

Boolywho Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm placing a big GFS order. It's a pain trying to remember every little thing that I'm going to need from them but oh well. By the way, how much is their shipping?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.