Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

GFS bodies?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Gene Machine, Dec 20, 2008.

1. seratone

seratone TDPRI Member

May 16, 2011
    Toronto
    I just got a GFS Paulownia Tele body in Black - 49$ USD - $137 CAN to my door (!) - i was trying to make a super light Nashville T. When I picked it up at the Post Office - I thought the box was empty. It was 2.2 pounds - 5.15 pounds fully assembled.

The Neck Slot was loose
    The body was about 1/4" thinner than a Standard USA Tele
    The Bridge pickup cavity needed to be chiselled out to allow the bridge plate to sit properly above the string holes. I had to route a Strat pickup cavity anyway so I didn't mind bashing it up a bit. Paulownia is like Balsawood - when chiselled it, it sort of compacts and gets all 'spongey'. It's also incredibly fragile - I put a finger nail impression in the back when I was pushing the furells in.

RodeoTex likes this.

2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    I was thinking about getting one of these for a light airplane guitar... your description is good and complete, but, On Balance? What do you think? How is the finished guitar?)

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Good luck getting everything to line up. At least that's what all the complaints usually are on these. I have seen some people post about everything being great and in line so you got at least a 50-50 chance.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    If you add up everyone’s experience, the entire range of all quality levels of GFS bodies are uniformly distributed from perfect to firewood. I’m done with them. I’ll pay the cost for a properly made body instead of burning my time and what’s left of my good humor fixing what’s rong right out of the GFX box.

5. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    GFS is the opposite of Kenny Rogers Roasters Chicken-

its the wood that makes it no good!

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I recently bought a GFS paisley body and a CV Tele as a donor.
    The body finish was good enough but the bridge pickup would not go into the cavity, not even close.
    Everything else went together fine.

I did notice when putting screws into the body I had stop turning them when the screws 'looked' right. A hair more and they step out. The finish seems to be a hard candy shell over Styrofoam.

The other thing that caught my attention was how light the body was. The original CV was something like 8.2 pounds. With the GFS body total weight was only about 5.4.
    I really didn't spend any time with the CV before disassembling it so i really don't know what it sounded like.
    The finished paisley CV doesn't sound very good and has little sustain. Just nothing special about it that will get it taken out of the closet much.
    My experience may certainly not be typical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.