Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

GFS bodies - do all-parts necks really fit?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    GFS is running a blow out on a bunch of bodies. They claim that "fender" parts fit. All-parts necks (I like them) fit Fender bodies...

anybody have any success shoving an all-parts neck into a GFS body?

2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Rod, this is like asking a fellow "is the tide in at the beach where you are?". Maybe, but for how long?

The quality of these parts are notoriously inconsistent. One batch might exceed expectations and then the next one is firewood. And I hate to say this but some shops that purchase/use them, whether they appreciate it or not, get cherry picked stuff shipped to them while the casual buyer gets the discards. If you were a reseller like GFS and you had a high visibility, opinion making buyer who posted often to certain guitar boards, wouldn't you send him the very best parts you could set aside for when his order arrives? Of course you would.

These overseas guitar pieces parts contractors come and go and their employees leave for better opportunity and they have to start over. Or, if their parts really are nice, someone buys them out from under GFS. And GFS can't be over there 24/7. I've talked to the guys who find themselves flying back and forth, back and forth trying to control where their "stuff" is coming from and the travel just grinds a fellow into the ground. Jet lag is what you call it the first through fourth plane trips you make over there. By trip 30, just think about making that many trips over there.

Allparts necks tend to run about as wide as any quality neck there is. The GFS bodies are going to be all over the place. I find it is really problematic to try to enlarge a pocket with the catalyzed finish already on there.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It depends on what variety of body you get from GFS. Sometimes they have these blowout sales where they just buy huge quantities of half finished bodies from wherever, and you'll need to do some work to make everything fit. But those are usually dirt cheap and are probably worth it if you're willing to put in the work.

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

egad.

that's worrisome.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I bought a GFS tele-style body less than a year ago. (an XGP body, I think they call it...supposedly "premium" quality?) It fit a 1993 Telecaster neck PERFECTLY....and all the predrilled hardware holes lined up as well. It was a sunburst finish, which was beautiful.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Ira7 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    My experience - super inconsistent.

Some perfect. Some require doweling and redoing screws and other finagling.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They clearly tell you when it's a factory buyout of seconds. That's a different kind of blowout sale.

Otherwise, the necks fit just fine. I have four of their bodies.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Does Near Arnold's mean where The Cunninghams lived?

Mr Green Genes and MilwMark like this.

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I've used two GFS Tele bodies - one cream, one double-bound black. I used a Squier II Strat neck on the black and a Mighty Mite neck on the cream one. No problems on either one.

But I've seen a lot of people who says they've had fit problems, so I can only conclude that there is some inconsistency and I've just been lucky.

- D

12. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have 3 difference ones with GFS Paulownia bodies and Allparts MIJ necks. All fitted up fine and tight.
    Two for sure have a thin shim added to make the action more even/less relief up the fingerboard.
    Stratosphere has very good prices on the Allparts Japan necks. The MIJ ones are usually around p24
    in their neck section. I have 2 TRO-W and a TRO-FAT.

13. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    One data point here; unfinished paulownia GFS purchased, allparts neck fit perfectly - several other things about the body a little off, but neck pocket aok.

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie NEW MEMBER!

Oct 11, 2017
    Oregon
    My very, very recent experience with GFS went like this:

Arch top tele body had numerous defects including a neck pocket that was a full 1.5 mm narrower than the neck. It did not measure 57 mm as advertised (but the neck did), and is unlikely that any neck would fit, much less Fender, All Parts, Warmoth, or StewMac. The output jack hole needed to be opened up to 7/8" to in order to install the jack. In addition, the predrilled string holes were mis-located & not drilled with an even spacing, and the holes failed to share the same center when laying a straightedge across the centers of the E strings.

The neck arrived with nicks across all the frets, likely from the installation. Also, the nut was installed incorrectly, too close to the high E side, so if I want to use this neck, I will have to replace the nut as well. I expected to do a fret job, so I will let that slide a bit. On the other hand, not only were the tuning machine holes not spaced evenly, but they did not share the same center with a straightedge laid across the E strings.

For the amount of work I have had to do to be able to use this body, I would have been better off buying a blank from one of the other dealers I mentioned above. I always like to leave at least one positive thing, and that would be that the body & neck each have very nice finishes, but it is unlikely GFS will ever see more of my money. I could have bought 2 used Squires for the amount of time & money I have into this "disaster-caster" project. This should have been completed a month ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.