Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Getting Started - Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Bob L, Apr 19, 2018.

1. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Within the files area on the Cocos forum there are three zip files that contain only the informative Yep posts on that thread over a period of three years.

Removes all of the white noise and also the responses where he simply agrees with another poster.

Great value but a long read

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Great looking out!

Thanks for the tip.

3. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Here ya go.

https://stash.reaper.fm/browse.php?q=yep+threads&x=0&y=0

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Getting Started with Home Recording:EASY Getting something finished: DIFFICULT. Going down multiple equipment and software rabbit holes:EASY. Getting out of the rabbit holes: DIFFICULT.

magicfingers99 likes this.

5. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Amen to that. Is anything ever really finished?

The folks on this forum are a huge help with their encouragement, so you can look at your work as just being a statement in time, with no harm in getting it out the door so you can get some feedback from others.

As for equipment and software, I am getting to the point of re-learning that it is more and more about the performance than which plugins you use.

The one rabbit hole I went down that has been very much worth it is Melodyne. I don't think I would ever share anything with my pitchy-off key singing without finding a way to make it better without sounding like Cher. Yea, it's a crutch I wish I didn't need, but I do! :oops:

w3stie likes this.

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    I have an R16 and an R8, and I much prefer the R8, its much simpler to use and has a drum machine and it fits in a backpack and runs on 4 AA batteries - i can track and mix a song demo in 10 minutes and it doesn't ask me to connect to the internet or download updates and there are no distractions.

The R16 is rather arcane in requiring you to swap tracks rather than allowing you to patch inputs through software ala the Roland VS, or with pushbuttons like the R8 -

THe R16 if I remember correctly only records HI-Z on Track 1 so you have to keep swapping track 1 over to another track everytime you want to record another guitar part. I wish I had bought a R24, rather than the R16, didn't really put enough time into researching it before purchasing it.

I use Reaper on my laptop, and with a SSD its reasonably fast - still prefer hardware knobs and buttons though.

You are spot on about preamps, I like the ones in my Roland vs machines, its one reason I still record with them, everything sounds nicer through that box. Course many hate the Roland Preamps, so use your own ears and pick something you like.

7. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    after 60 days a man comes to your house and checks to make sure you have deinstalled it. He can be pretty annoying and will drink all your beer. Best to just pay the 60$, you won't regret it.

Martin R, Telecasterless and suthol like this.

8. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    There is a school of thought (and recording and mixing) that says visualizing music is a distraction from what your ears are telling you. Most interfaces are too busy for my tastes, but I grew up recording on tape, so you know all there was to watch was two reels going round and round and a couple of meters bouncing.

It actually is an area of discussion among some studio owners, does the inteface enhance the work flow or merely confuse and distract our attention? I do know I keep needing bigger screens with every upgrade and every new plugin. My screens are bigger than my monitoring loudspeakers...

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I agree wholeheartedly about finishing projects. I would guess 80% of my recordings remain unfinished.
    After I left analog I did the standalone digital 8/16 track recorder and had a few outboard effects but nothing serious.
    Once I switched to Logic I experimented with 2 or 3 third party plug-ins before I said the hell with it! Logic has all I need.
    It all depends on your needs. Often times people gear up before learning the basics or exaggerate their needs or ambitions. Now that’s a rabbit hole!!!

10. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    So it might happen our playing and singing on the home recording doesn’t measure up to how good we thought we were?

11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    That's ridiculous man, the guy actually uses your $60 bucks to go buy the beer.

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    While that may be true in some circles, I don't think seeing multiple tracks is visualizing music, it's just seeing all of the tracks that have been previously recorded all at the same time ! I don't think thats what visualizing music refers to. Seeing all of our tracks and editing for noise and blips , saturated peaks, various punch in locations , play back locations,markers etc.. is what I am referring to. Seeing half a dozen wave forms at the same time is just that, seeing wave forms . If we don't want to see them, shrink them down to nothin or hide them. When you wanna see them, blow them up ! We are still listening with or ears , well hopefully . In each of the retail studios I have been fortunate to visit or track in , all of the tracks are on the monitors, sometimes TWO monitors, they are not visualizing any music , they are following the music listening intently and can SEE where there may be issues. In some circles thats called productivity .

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    paratus likes this.

13. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Sort of on the subject..."The Art of Mixing" is a book that shows how to visualize a mix. Picture a 3D room. Frequency is vertical, low to high...Pan is horizontal, left to right. Volume is the size of the images.

The illustrations are balloon like images for vocal, bass, horns, etc., placed in the room. (You'll have to click through "look inside" on the Amazon page to see them.)

It's really helped me understand what's going on in a mix. I wish there was software that would do this.

14. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    That depends entirely on your opinion of how good you think you are.

Since I think I'm awful, my recordings often sound better than I think they will.

suthol likes this.

15. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    there's a plugin for that, works on all platforms, its called "Beer" - if you prefer the other plugin called "cocktails" - the slang term is fixing it in the mix, usually varying the ratio of liquor to mixer..

seriously if you can't make your stuff sound "good" with all the effects available, you're not really trying autotune and harmonies can be done in real time now..There are enough reverb plug ins to fill a large echo chamber.

The whole point of mixing is emphasising the good stuff, fixing or cutting out the bad stuff and moving on. IF you do this process and find you have nothing left, then I'd blame it on the recording process.

if you think it sounds bad, change it. Feeling bad about it doesn't really solve anything. Analyze why it sounds bad. is it the composition itself?, is it the arrangement?, is it the recording?, is it the tempo?, there's a million ways to change things. Everybody who is a great singer or player or mixer, once really sucked at it. The difference between the good and the great is the great keep trying, whereas the mundane just give up or keep doing the same thing over and over and over.

no one starts out painting the mona lisa, the 1st time they pickup a brush. Its the nature of our instant gratification society to be disastified with anything that requires more than minimal effort, but all craft requires talents/abilities to be learned, and then honed, and that doesn't happen overnight.

I always figure no matter how bad a song turns out, its better than sitting on my backside and watching tv.....(i'm fully indoctrinated and have a certificate that states I no longer need to own a TV)

w3stie and suthol like this.

16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I do this when I am approaching a final mix. I bounce to mp3 and burn a CD and listen away from the computer. It tricks you into listening like a consumer without the distraction of the meters etc. I tend to pick things up this way that I miss in front of the computer, because I can see a busy section coming up, and so am expecting it to be louder than it really is for example. Also, knowing that a part is there means you can hear it just because you are expecting it. I put a song up for review here, that had a countdown going in the background. I knew it was there, so I could 'hear' it. But I got a couple of comments from people saying, a countdown would really work right about there. So your brain can tell your ears what you know is there, or what your eyes are telling you.

magicfingers99 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.