Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Getting Started - Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Bob L, Apr 19, 2018.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    What kind of budget are you working with ? A good starting place would be something like a "PreSonus AudioBox USB 96" two mics inputs $100. for home use not for gigs. As for the Daw I would suggest doing a Yuo Tube search of and see what fits your needs. Myself I'm a big fan of Logic for $200 you get a lot of bang for your buck.

2. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Chicago
    I am considering the Steinberg UR44 for $300.

3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    You can get it at B&H Photo for $200.

4. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    You can PM me anytime, even for the simplest of questions.
    I've had several versions of Cakewalk/Sonar over the years
    and you'll be happy with the results.

Unless you want to discuss it on an open forum,
    That's okay too. Thanks.

5. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2008
    Hingham, MA
    3 chord, take a look at this tutorial for beginning sonar users. I believe this guy put up a few of them.

Just take it a step at a time.

learn how to connect your interface so it's recognized

Then how to open a new project,

Then how to arm a track

Then record and play back

Good luck!

KC

6. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks for the tip! That is a significant difference. Makes me wonder if something is not included. Amazon has it for $201 as well.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    That looks like a good choice especially for starting out.

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 26, 2008
    Albuquerque
    I've done a lot of a business with B&H. I don't know what wouldn't be included. It's pretty much a one piece item.

9. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2016
    Washington
    I just got the UR44 from B&H, and am using the free version of Cubase, AI 9.5 that it comes with. It took a long time to get everything set up, but it wasn't hard. It just took several hours to download the software. There is a pretty steep learning curve, but I haven't had anything not work. I have been relying heavily on Youtube tutorials to figure things out, because the manual isn't that user friendly. It seems to sound good to me. This is my first time doing any recording since using Acid Pro in the early 2000's with an Mbox.

10. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    I use a line 6 interface (Pod XT live) with Reaper. I like their gear & the Line 6 custom tone library is a fantastic free resource for tones.

11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    How "ease of use" are we talking here?

After a decade or so of immersing myself in DAWs, I got sick of all the steps I needed to take to get a simple idea recorded, and bought a Tascam DP series multitrack. Decent onboard mics, flexible inputs, self-contained but can export to PC, very little learning curve and very portable.

I still do plenty of more involved work on PC (+1 for Reaper) but the DP has been invaluable for spur of the moment songwriting and working out parts without having to mess with all the little frustrations of mic placement, latency, hardware and software issues, etc.

The results may not be pro studio quality, but that doesn't sound like your main goal anyway. And frankly half the stuff on Bandcamp doesn't have any better production quality :)

magicfingers99 and maxvintage like this.

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Apple guy here, using Logic Pro.

What do you want to do? Record a whole band live? Or build your own tracks one at a time? If it's the latter a two channel audio interface is great. I use an Apogee Duet, but there's lots of excellent less expensive stuff. I have a small collection of decent mics--a good condenser, an SM57, a couple inexpensive ribbon mics.

If you want to do a whole band then the level of complexity goes up exponentially. Lots more mics, lots of stands, lots of cables, lots more to monitor; headphone mixers, etc etc. I've done it a few times, using an eight preamp interface, but decided early on that I just wasn't going to go there--I don't have the right kind of room, for example. If I was going to record bands live I'd use a USB mixer for sure.

If you just want to lay down tracks for your own stuff then it's pretty straightforward to use a two channel audio interface.

SacDAve likes this.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I prefer simplicity: A man, a computer, an dedicated audio interface where it's butt simple to set the audio levels, powered monitors. Live is live and home recording is home recording. I used to have external effects, a patch bay, a mixer, etc. This is straight forward. One track at a time. Who needs more?
    IMG_2415.JPG

t-ray, Esos, SacDAve and 2 others like this.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I use even less.

A couple condensers, Focusrite Scarlett 2i, Garageband, headphones. Portable!

No monitors. I check the mix on my car stereo.

I'd like to get better with tools like plugin compressors, always more to learn.

SacDAve likes this.

15. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Chicago
    My intended use is to record one or two tracks at a time, rather than an entire band. I would like to be able to monitor computer modeling effects added to an electric guitar or vocal being recorded. I think the Steinberg UR44 has that feature. It is not clear to me whether other units mentioned can do that.

16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I think part of what you are asking is if you will be able to hear the modelled sounds in real time as you record, is that correct?

What are you asking about is called lag or lag-time. I think some of that depends on your input method (ie USB vs Firewire/Thunderbolt) as well as the interface itself. Check reviews/writeups as this is pretty important to a lot of people.

I started home recording about 2 years ago - and I went a little bigger to start rather than having to upgrade later. I bought a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26. It's a great unit and I would recommend it's little brothers if you have firewire/thunderbolt input options.

Edited to add: Where I said 'lag or lag-time' I might have meant 'latency'.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Another thing to explore is the power to your recording room. Is it clean? My power is incredibly dirty/noisy. I won't record in the music room for that reason until I get a dedicated line from the electrical panel installed this summer. All my recording is done in my office at work, where the power is spotless.

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    The Reaper app says it is a 60 day trial version. What happens after 60days?

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

to all that I would add, hours and hours of time to battle the huge learning curve, a metronome to help me with my timing, and most importantly, a sense of patience.

Its a long road, I've been doing it off and on for years, I'm still an amateur, but I learn something every time.

20. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

May 16, 2003
    Chicago
    Yes, I would like to be able to hear the modeled sounds in real time as I record, either through headphones or monitors. Most of the units I am considering claim low latency.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.