Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Getting rid of that "Squier feel"

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by 6BQ5, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM.

1. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I'd look at the nut and the bridge plate, since the saddles have already been upgraded. Different bridge plate thicknesses would cause you to set the saddle height screws differently to achieve the same string height off the fretboard. A thicker plate = lower saddle screw setting = (?) different feel. Total conjecture on my part.

6BQ5 likes this.

2. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The two MIM bodies I had (tele and strat), look and feel the same way. As if there’s a plastic hard shell over the wood. I can imagine the whole thing dipped into this thick melted plastic goop. (Though that’s probably not how it’s done) It’s pretty and glossy and shiny but looks and feels too plasticky for me. And from what I understand the poly finishes don’t age very attractively. Supposedly last new-looking longer but any dings, bruises and bumps look worse somehow than on a thin nitro finish. It’s totally psychosomatic I’m sure but I’m free to be a nutcase about my guitar desires...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 12:10 PM
    6BQ5 likes this.

3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Good lord. All this talk about breathing wood, finish material and metal alloy.

Take my earlier suggestion, it won't cost you anything and I can assure you it will change the loose string feel you're having.

hellopike and TimothyC like this.

4. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    As others had said, if they’ve got the same saddles, the difference in apparent string tension is likely due to the break angle over the saddles—i.e., the height of the adjustment screws. Increasing the height of those screws should increase the tension, but you may end up needing to shim the neck to ensure the increased saddle height doesn’t negatively impact your action and playability.

Have you talked this through with the person doing your setups?

5. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    Might need to perform CPR on that wood. Sounds like it suffocated and died!

Seriously though, I'm thinking it's more an internal preconception of a "cheap" guitar vs your "better" American made guitar. I don't like the CV's because of the neck finish. Satin or nitro necks are just about all I want to play. I make an exception for my older Japanese squier. The neck and tiny frets are fantastic even with the poly finish, but that guitar has some sentiment tied to it as well.

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You can knock the gloss down with scotchbrite and the neck will feel nice and smooth for a while. Eventually it will get polished back up from your hand sliding on it and need another hit with the scotchbrite.

TimothyC likes this.

8. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    Hmmm. Maybe it’s a function of a less than tight fit in the neck pocket?

6BQ5 likes this.

9. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You have done a fine job with the upgrades etc. I'd try installing an AS neck.

6BQ5 likes this.

10. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I promise you, that's not it.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Here's my beater, a Squier Vintage modified Telecaster Special (similar quality to the CV range),

WP_20180214_19_55_26_Pro.jpg

as you can see your typical glossy poly finish,

WP_20180214_19_54_37_Pro.jpg

here's some ugly chiseling under the pickguard (as you can tell this guitar has had a lot of different mods but has settled as an esquire)

WP_20180214_19_53_58_Pro.jpg

and here's a small chip in the finish I took from the edge of the really rough chiseling. The finish is only 0.5mm thick so its pretty thin for a factory finish.

BorderRadio likes this.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The difference might not be between a Fender and a Squier; it might just be the difference between two different telecasters.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    ding
    ding
    ding

14. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yep. Been mentioned before in the thread, but that is honestly it.

3-Chord-Genius and nicod98 like this.

15. Con-Tiki!

Con-Tiki! TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2011
    pittsburgh PA
    this is something that i notice all the time. bakelite is the best, aluminum, and then plastic in that order.
    i'm being serious, btw.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I read page 1 and 4, skipped the rest.

My opinion, but this is all in your mind. There are the parts, then the 'electron generators', then the craftsmanship, and it's all up to you to make it do something. All this 'feels different' stuff is part of confirmation bias. If you can quantify it, then you're looking at things that are part of visuals, like color or part styles, or tangible--the geometry of frets and strings, neck shapes. The caveat is wood, and I'll cancel that out of the equation and so maybe you just need to try a different CV.

Problem with putting all that money into your backup, you still lose something should you find it gone. But the fact it's 'only a backup' to you says to me you've made up your mind what it really is--disposable.

LowThudd, Dr Improbable and nicod98 like this.

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I like aluminum, brass and celluloid tort. Don't have any bakelite. Plastic(cheaper PVC) feels staticy and cheap.

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Why not just gig with the US Std and use the Squier as a spare?

Or the other way round?

They are both solid gigging tools.

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I see only three major differences:
    • the player
    • the guitar
    • the setup
    Let's assume bias against Squier is not at play here, there will always be minor differences between guitars. And of course many bigger differences that have been highlighted in this thread. If all tips and tricks that were given here are tried out and the "Squier feel" remains, I doubt the difference will be in the guitar itself.
    And then again, after all those upgrades, I think it might have been cheaper to get a second MIA guitar.

I know two (semi-)professional players personally that were given 5 guitars (strats in this case) in a guitar shop to play blindfolded, without touching all the hardware. They were supposed to divide them in MIA, MIM and Squier.
    One of them even labeled one Squier as MIA and a MIA as Squier. The other one had two Standard MIMs and called one a MIA and the other a Squier.

I think that proves that the "feel" can differ a lot even if the differences between two guitars are so minimal (even with two guitars from the same series).

That makes me think the OP might be wrong about the identical setup.
    He might think the luthier set them up exactly the same, the luthier might have said that he did so, but we can never know if they are setup up in a similar fashion.

We all know how much of a difference the setup makes.

20. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Also regarding my finish thickness post and peoples perception of glossy vs satin finishes. It is my pet hate when people assume a satin finish is thinner than gloss or that a previously glossy finish is now satin because you sanded the glossy part of the finish off and its now thin. It's the surface and how smooth or rough it is. You can take an inch thick layer of polyurethane and scuff the surface with scotchbrite/wet&dry/steel wool to get a satin finish but the finish will still be an inch thick.

Just thought it might be worth thinking about as some people assume if a neck has a satin finish its thin or they can barely feel it over the wood (no that's just what satin plastic feels like, smooth but not glossy or sticky).

Anyway mini rant over.

BorderRadio likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.