Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Getting a new shoulder Weds. Potentially no guitar for 6 weeks. I'm starting to get nervous.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Best wishes on a speedy and complete recovery. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Geoff

studio1087 likes this.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Best of luck, John!

studio1087 likes this.

3. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    I feel your pain mate ... Late last year I had subacromial decompression on my right shoulder, I am right handed ... But I appreciate yours is worse ... ..
    No guitar (or anything much) for 4 weeks. Then I was able to tentatively start with an electric ... But it took another month before I was allowed to pick up an acoustic again, due to the body depth/stretch for my shoulder. (No great hardship as I prefer playing my electrics.)
    Best I can say is ... Do the physio. ... It works!
    Actually, I'm sure physios actually practice some sort of dark art ... How they alleviate pain and get things working again is nothing short of magic.
    Hoping all goes well for you ...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    studio1087 likes this.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

No clue but both my mom and dad had the same surgery when they were in their 50's. I guess we all sing and have crappy shoulders. I would canoe a lot with my dad when I was little and there were days when he would be eating Tylenol and wincing.

Mom worked in a lab and my dad ran a business and I run a business. No accidents or repetitive motion trouble. We must have a bad Bohemian/German shoulder gene. :eek:

JayFreddy likes this.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and perhaps someone will give you a Don Ho fake book.:)

studio1087 likes this.

6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Your PT is gonna suck. Do it anyway.

Best of luck to you! You will be playing again in no time!

studio1087 likes this.

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    All the best for a speedy recovery! And hey, a small acoustic parlor guitar is about the size of a ukelele, might be an option. :)

studio1087 likes this.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, was just curious. My left shoulder has pain but part of it was from a T-bone car accident when I was a kid, slamming into the door. Also got a face full of glass, but it healed. Plus I sleep on it a lot and wake up in pain. Surgeons today are amazing, so you should be fine. Enjoy the uke playing too! Love ukes.

studio1087 likes this.

9. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Hope it goes well for you. I had the bone on bone thing in my right hip and got the replacement aftermarket parts installed 3 months ago. You won't realize how much pain you had prior until it heals. Feels amazing. Also, my PT guy said that due to my eagerness to get out and resume my outdoor activities, I got ahead of the normal healing curve. My advice is try to do what you want to do but just don't over do it. You'll know if you do.

studio1087 and 41144 like this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    My sincere best wishes to you, John! We'll be wanting to debrief you as soon as possible. Myself? I believe you will be doing this in no time!:)

[​IMG]

scrapyardblue, moosie and studio1087 like this.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Hope it all goes well and your recovery is quick !

studio1087 likes this.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    You'll be fine. Just do your rehab as instructed.

studio1087 likes this.

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Wishing you well and a quick recovery!

studio1087 likes this.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I appreciate the advice and kind words. Thanks.

Last night I started watching the actual procedure on youtube on my iPad.........stupid move. I got about 6 minutes into it and my stomach was hurting. Dumb John! Dumb dumb dumb. o_O

15. Driver3

Driver3 Tele-Meister

I had rotator cuff surgery in June. 6 weeks with my right arm immobilized and another 6 weeks with limited activity.
    DO THE REHAB as directed. It takes time to heal and rushing things can undo the gains made very easily.
    Good luck

16. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Like others said, do the PT just like they say. I just had a knee replacement (to replace one that failed inside of two years). I knew the routine and did all the PT at home, with a therapist visiting here just 6-7 times. She had me back off a bit from my early "push til ya scream" PT level. I then stuck with it religiously & am doing very well 3 months on. Hell, I can feel the ache in my other joints again!

It's good--though difficult--to choose a doc who specializes & does a ton of the same surgery. I went outta my small town to get the first surgeons handiwork fixed, and the second gave me good vibes with his experience & confidence. My leg is already more stable, straight & strong than it was on even my best days after the first surgery.

As the surgeons understate, "there's gonna be some discomfort" for awhile, but once you work through that and do the PT you'll be surprised just what good medicine can do these days. Good luck, Studio!

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Medical technology is amazing these days. I wish you the best with it all. Pay attention to your physical therapist and don't over do things. Take the time to heal up well.

Remember, we're all rootin' for ya!

18. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    Wheedlie,Wheedlie,Wheedlie at the 15th fret for six weeks !

Joe Sailor likes this.

19. rz350

rz350 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    Best of luck, getting this stuff repaired improves quality of life, you'll be asking yourself "why didn't I have this done sooner? " :)

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    My elderly mother had the same surgery three years ago. It took about 6 months for her to completely heal, but now she's out enjoying activities she hasn't been able to do in 20 years. It was a miracle for her. Good luck, get well soon!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.