Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Getting a new shoulder Weds. Potentially no guitar for 6 weeks. I'm starting to get nervous.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 1, 2017.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I have no cartilage remaining on the left side. It's bone on bone. The rotator is fine.

Right after surgery I'll be able to reach forward with the left hand (I can use a laptop) but I can't reach far to the the left with the left hand for up to 6 weeks. I can't play a guitar down near the nut. I have my uke all ready. I can play a small uke.

The pain has been getting worse and worse for three years. I'm loosing a lot of sleep due to pain. I can't reach up with my left hand. I've been very excited to get it done. The surgeon who's doing my shoulder does 300 of them per year at St. Luke's. He's the man. Cool Doc.

I'm just starting to get a little scared. Weird. Oh well.....I'm human. I've never had a surgery like this.

I wish I could have the ball that they're going to cut off my arm/shoulder. I could get it bronzed and use it as a paper weight. I'm going to ask one of the nurses to put it in a baggie.

Hmmmm.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Wow, scary but amazing all at the same time. Good luck and keep on the rehab schedule and you'll be back chicken pickin' in no time.

studio1087 likes this.

4. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Hang in there John, and do what the doc says. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

studio1087 likes this.

5. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    And more good luck...

I can understand it's a little scary, these ''replacement'' surgeries are something I'm trying to avoid.

But I can't imagine the pain of bone-on-bone in your shoulder. I had a much lesser shoulder problem that required surgery, and I remember the pain quite vividly. Make sure you work hard in the physical therapy after your surgery; that will speed your recovery along!

studio1087 likes this.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Best wishes with this. Also be somewhat wary of what "professionals" have to say; after developing somewhat debilitating (guitar-wise) neurapathy, my PT discouraged me from trying to play guitar, she believed it would only frustrate me. After lots of work and slow progress I've regained maybe 80% of my more fine motor abilities that I'd previously lost in that regard.

She didn't understand that quitting playing altogether just wasn't an option

rz350, moosie and studio1087 like this.

7. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    And more good luck. Replacement parts are really good these days. I think it is natural to be more nervous the closer a surgery is to the center of your body.
    I'm sure you will feel so much better in six weeks.

studio1087 likes this.

8. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Dang! It stinks that you're in so much pain right now, but I've only heard good things from people who have had joints replaced. Follow your doctor's instructions, and enjoy that new shoulder.

studio1087 likes this.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck!

If it makes you feel any better, afterwards you can recover by posting insults to me.

rz350, moosie and studio1087 like this.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Suck-it-up, Buttercup!

I had to do two Months with my Left arm in a Plaster Cast from a Two Broken Bones in my Left Arm.

You can do this.

Look in the Mirror every day and keep reminding yourself that you are getting better and your Body is Healing itself.

studio1087 likes this.

11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    Good luck! Get out of that hospital ASAP and go go go on the recovery to hopefully have everything working well fast.

:)

studio1087 likes this.

12. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Just like the Six Million Dollar Man ... :) good luck !

studio1087 likes this.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Its just an overnight thing imwjl if your rotator is ok. I will be out in 24 hours. The Doc said I could ski in 6 weeks if I do all my PT.

When I met the surgeon he asked me to reach high with both hands. The left hand went about 10" less than the right and the bone spur that has formed under the left arm popped loudly. The spurs form to limit the range of montion of the messed up limb. Then we repeated with reached to each side and it was worse. He sat down and said I needed surgery. "90 seconds; how's that for speedy modern medicine?" He said. He made me laugh.

It's good to laugh at yourself and when your're me it happend often. :confused:

14. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Good luck, studio! Stick with the PT.
    I've been cut on and had parts removed. I'm figuring on my next procedure they'll have to start adding stuff back.

studio1087 likes this.

15. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs

16. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Can I have your D28?

:D

Kidding, of course. NSD, pics or it didn't happen.

Good luck, and here's to not completely forgetting how to play in 6 weeks.

OK, I'll stop now... :)

studio1087 likes this.

17. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    These surgeries are incredibly routine now. There isn't a whole lotta risk for surgical complications. The real risk in shoulder surgeries is in the rehab phase. Do exactly what the therapists and the surgeons say. No more. No less. It may seem like they want you to hold back from what you think you can/should be doing. They(we) aren't. Maybe you think they want you to open back down more than you think you can/should. But they(we) aren't. If you have concerns, be vocal, ask questions and make sure you totally understand what you are supposed to do and what is safe to do.

Doing too much and you can botch the surgery. Not doing enough and your shoulder will scar down, making your range of motion much more limited and any gains you make will be incredibly painful. Both may require further surgery.

This is meant to very encouraging, not make you more nervous. Be a good patient with your rehab team and you'll be fine.

Also, grab yourself an inexpensive mandolin to mix it up a bit while you recover. I get a kick out of mine.

studio1087 likes this.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Best of luck and I hope it all works out!

May I ask what caused the issue? Accident/injury or repetitive motion etc?

studio1087 likes this.

19. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Best of luck.

I had my right shoulder rebuilt two years ago and it feels great.

I should have done it years earlier.

studio1087 likes this.

20. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Speedy Recovery, and take the great advice offered here - Stick to Rehab, everyone is pulling for ya! Good Luck!

studio1087 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.