Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

George L blues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:05 PM.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I like the George L patch cable kits. However, I'm not as adept at making cables, even unsoldered ones such as these, as I used to be. I've made up a bunch of different lengths (and colors!), and tested them thoroughly. At some point in my 10 years of doing this, some patch cords have become a little hinky and are crackling and shorting.

My hands are in pretty bad shape, increasingly, due to the pain from RA (and CIDP). It has been taken my a lot longer than usual to open packages and stuff. It doesn't feel like my hands are weak; rather, it feels like the packing material has been getting stronger. As far as the cables go, I think I need to screw the plug tightly onto the cable. I'm worried that my hands are lying to me about what is difficult and what is not.

24 track likes this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Sorry to hear this Larry !

I know for darn sure that the new packaging material is designed to p*^ss me off !

I find myself carrying a small pair of slip joint pliers around with me these days, as the neuropathy from the chemo has just started in earnest in my hands. I sure hope it doesn't get as bad as it is in my feet.

24 track likes this.

3. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Loved the sound of solder-less cables, incredible clarity, thin diameter of the cable, lightness, and being able to cut special lengths, but then had them fail gig after gig.

I could never predict when. Some lasted for a long time, I think I still have two or 3 that are still going good.

Got to the point of epoxying and electrical taping them. They would still fail.

I tried everything, tried ones other people made, etc. I had a couple dozen connectors and a ton of wire, I built out several players custom boards including my own multiple live rigs.

I saw them fail no matter who made them on boards that didn't even gig.

To be fair, I move a lot onstage, I am very rough on gear. I break other cables, too, probably twice, three times a year with guitar leads just from live performance. Soldered cables hold up better with a lot of movement, but no cable is durable forever.

I love the idea, I wanted them to work so bad. I spent a hours and hours and hours on those things. I died a few deaths onstage because of them and almost went mad chasing down my entire rig for the problem every time, that was partly the reason I finally completely gave up pedals and pedal boards altogether, although now i wouldn't mind a few pedals, just wouldn't use those solderless cables. Plus a pedalboard is another added complexity of possible headache if there is a problem onstage. Towards the end I was soldering my own Mogami and Nuetriks.

Larry, with your situation, anything that simplifies the whole thing would help, so I would recommend you get pre-made soldered cable. Simplify whatever you can so you can enjoy guitar as much as possible despite the pain from RA and CIDP.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I’ve been inside the George L distribution/warehouse/manufacturing plant/sales department/store front.

It’s a small non-descript house down the street from my office. I bought out all of their remaining RCA tips a few years ago (about 100) and George’s wife game me a t-shirt... as long as I agreed not to disclose their exact location. Deal!

5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2011
    Southern IL
    I quit George Ls when I plugged one of their speaker cables into a Marshall Cabinet I was repairing for a friend. I replaced the jack and circuit board on one of the cabs with multiple impedience and a switch on the cabinet jack. I wanted to check to see I had wired it correctly. I plugged in the George L speaker cable I had on my Marshall head and cabinet, attached the multimeter and got a reading of 187 ohms. I measured the the cable tip to tip and got 180 ohms. Grabbed a soldered cable and the cab ohmed out right for 8 and 16 ohms. I threw the George L cables away and never looked back

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I first bought George L's when Eric Johnson raved about them...but never heard the "greatness". Just expensive gimmicks. I always end up going back to the braided cloth insulated cable I got at a guitar show twenty years ago. I AM easy on cables.....don't step on them....yell at people who do.

7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I use George L’s for my pedalboard. I do not use them between my guitar and pedalboard, or between my pedalboard and the amps. I find that the long runs between the pedalboard quickly become microphonic.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I like the George L straight plugs, way back they had some kind of deal where Bill Lawrence was endorsing them so they were sold as Lawrence cables.
    I used a couple of the brass plug Bill Lawrence cables for about 20 years, replaced the cable (insulation was cracked in some places) and still use them. No microphonics for me ever.

I have tried the RA George L plugs but I have had issues with them, I just went to using some soldered Hosa patch cables, and thinking about trying some EBS flat patch cables where space is tight.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I still have my old GL cable that i have had for about 15 yrs. Thin red & it works fine.
    Love it to pieces! :cool:

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I've never used them ,I will have to check it out, do you guys use a multimeter or a cable tester to test the cables ?

thanks for the info, everyone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.