Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

George Harrison Ltd American Vintage Rosewwod Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DanDII, Aug 22, 2017.

1. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    I just saw the new American Vintage chambered rosewood Harrison Teles at Wildwood.

They put 4 on the web last night and in and in less than 24 hours they were gone.

Anything to Rosewood Teles?

Is it just the Harrison connection?

Or is it that the only Rosewood Teles available for some time have been $$$$ CS models?

With normal American Vintage guitars MAPing at 2-2.3k $2499 MAP doesn't seem too pricey for a sig model.

What do you all think?

lewis likes this.

2. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Aug 22, 2004
    New York
    I always thought the rosewood Tele's were beautiful, but why not vintage specs on this baby?

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I played one today at Austin Vintage Guitars.
    I thought it sounded great and looked cool.
    It wasn't particularly heavy, either.
    Now I want one.
    Doh!

Troubleandahalf likes this.

4. teleon

teleon Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2007
    nevada
    I ordered one, but I don't take pictures. And I do not expect to sound like George. This has been one of the coolest websites since I knew what a website was. Any one wants to bust some chops on Jimmy Reed driving through the desert in need of a one eye busted up cat player, let us se what we can do, if fed ex don't crush it.

ianstrike and Indian Joe like this.

5. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I like it. The price is actually not bad.
    I didn't understand why the announcement of no more rosewood fingerboards
    has been followed bay an avalanche of larger rosewood stuff, whole necks , and now this.
    I am definitely confused.

MrMarr, TeleusMB, RadioFM74 and 2 others like this.

6. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, it's odd.

I'm confused about the recent regulatory changes.

Is it:

a) No problem, just need more documentation when moving wood across borders. Designed to thwart illegit sourcing. Overall good for the guitar world, though possibly a bit of paperwork headache for the manufacturers.

OR

b) The end of rosewood is nigh.

I thought it was "a", and as long as harvesting was managed legally and sustainably, EIR was no danger of going anywhere. Remember, guitars only account for a tiny bit of overall rosewood usage worldwide.

robinsong, stnmtthw and savofenno like this.

7. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Good point, @jimash and @moosie. I, too, thought it was (a). Who knows?

And just because I have it, here is a (not-so-great) picture of an actual 1968 Rosewood Tele, but with a Bigsby (Songbirds Guitar Museum, Chattanooga). Looks to have a much glossier finish than the one I found that sold recently on Reverb (https://reverb.com/nz/item/6286451-fender-george-harrison-limited-edition-tele). I imagine it's heavy as lead, too.
    68_Rosewood_tele_w_Bigsby.jpg

shupe13, moosie and jimash like this.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Wait a sec.

Fender originally made 2 rosewood Teles. One was meant for Jimi Hendrix and one went to George Harrison with the hopes that these guitarists would play them live to promote Fender.

Hendrix died before he could take delivery of it. Harrison used it on the Let It Be sessions and then gave it away because he didn't like it.

So Fender is re-issuing a 2-off promo guitar that was not beloved by either player???

BuckSatan, nojazzhere and Mechanic like this.

9. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Here is mine!!!! Naa, just kidding. Its a ruse..... but my build sort of inspired by that look. 1503449544880.jpg

10. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hendrix's was a Strat, but you're right about Harrison's tele. Interesting that it's iconic for him and that the iconic connection helps sell it, even though he himself didn't like it. I have seen the Hendrix Strat (again, at Songbirds Guitar Museum in Chattanooga), and if I recall correctly, it weighs about 19 lbs. So I can't imagine that Hendrix would have liked it, either! But they both look fantastic.

Steve Holt and Tim S like this.

11. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    19 lbs...

And I thought Jerry's guitars are heavy...

12. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    I won't sound like George with one of these, unless I score those lime green pants and fur coat from the rooftop concert!

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I can remember Fender doing a number of these in the early 80's. I thought they were gorgeous until I almost dropped a nut attempting to lift one. One of the most unnecessarily heavy guitars ever made.
    Still think they are beautiful.

14. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    Of the 4 Wildwood had in stock these new chambered models weighed in the mid 7 to mid 8 pound range.

Willcutt's has 4 of these listed , as of this evening, and those guitars fall in the same weight range.

I don't think weight will be an issue with this Harrison run. :D

15. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Honestly... I have never liked the all rosewood thing. As much as I love rosewood boards I always thought the all rosewood teles looked too much like cheap laminated furniture. Sorry if that is sacrilege to some!

poirier likes this.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I read somewhere that Dhani, George's son, found it in closet under the stairwell of George's home, resurrected it and loves it. ( Correct me if I'm wrong). It's in the last interview of George in Guitar Magazine from memory.

17. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    from http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-be-guitar-dismantled-and-replicated-20160311

Harrison had given the instrument to his friend, Delaney and Bonnie songwriter and producer Delaney Bramlett, who made a series of modifications to it. Bramlett later sold the guitar at auction for nearly half a million dollars, and it eventually found its way back to the Harrison family.

18. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've got one one the way. I will let everyone know what I think of it when it arrives.

19. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    There were 18 new available on ebay at 2 AM this morning. There are 3 new ones available now. Looks like Willcutt's sold through theirs overnight.

Fender seems to be killing it lately with the Hendrix Monterrey and Harrison models. ;)

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Or an Italian coffin.

drf64, rze99 and theprofessor like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.