Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

George Harrison isolated guitar, "Don't Let Me Down"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by PRW94, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    You can hear what a huge influence he was on both Mike Campbell and Tom Petty.

Mr Ridesglide and milocj like this.

2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Well he was an excellent musician and guitar player.

3. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Dec 21, 2013
    Mpls/St. Paul, MN
    That is artistry. Period.

Uncle Bob, telemnemonics and PRW94 like this.

4. PRW94

PRW94 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Gadsden, Alabama
    For the stomp box crowd, on the Japanese tour which this is from, George had gotten into pedals, was using a TS-10, Dyna Comp, Ibanez Digital Delay and Boss CE-3 chorus (although not all on this one of course, I hear the dirt and the compressor and maybe some delay) into a Bassman reissue. Gorgeous sound on this clip.

gentlyweeping likes this.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    to all you calling this a nice piece of "rhythm" work.... I'm gonna say, wrong, thats what a lead player did in the day. rhythm was strumming chords.... mostly full chords. the lead guitar made up a cute lick or two.... hopefully a "hook". the lead guitarist played the cute lick and some fill throughout the song. if he got a "lead" it was maybe a couple bars.... mostly playing the lick with some embellishments... add a slide and a trill or something. remember that in the pop music of the day, a hit song on the radio was 2 1/2 minutes... everything had to tight and to the point. Sargent Pepper blew that idea out of the water, but that was still the style George had perfected. yes, he expanded what he did on the guitar, but never really left that formula. where as you take Clapton (and others)... tear off into a solo that no one knows how long it will last and what notes will be played.... that was never George.

anyway... my point was that a good lead player is doing those background fills that add depth without being obtrusive.

just an observation from an old guy that grew up listening to lead guitar develop. I left out the bit about the guitar playing "the song" like the Ventures where there is no words.... thats a different type of lead.

Uncle Bob and LowThudd like this.

6. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    George was playing some pretty sophisticated stuff at an early age.

He's 20-21 in this clip:

PRW94 likes this.

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Bingo! Mike Campbell was the one player today that came to mind as the "1 in 10,000" when it was brought up in the earlier reply.

Assuming that it probably wouldn't have been the old blond Bassman he liked from the Abbey Road studio unless that's where the final takes of that track were recorded, this and the Rooftop recordings may actually prove that a Twin can breakup...at a volume that stops traffic. :lol:

And George's slide playing is absolutely fantastic and in tune. Instantly recognizable. Mike Campbell can also pull off some slide stuff, and tone, that also shows a lot of Harrison influence.

Georox likes this.

8. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Thanks for posting this, OP.

Truly great, musical, accompaniment.

9. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

This is a master class in band membership where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Thanks for posting.

10. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    The video only goes a minute 50, where is this chord at 2:21?

11. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    I was gonna ask that too...do you mean 2.21 of recorded song (not video?)

12. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    yeah because 2:21 of the rooftop version does not have a resolve chord; it's sort of a passage.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Strange; I start the embedded video and for a second it says 1:50, but once it's playing it says 3:39. The OP video is indeed 3:39

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I've heard this song many thousands of times and never really gave those fills much of a thought because ' that's how it's supposed to be '.
    This isolated version really opened my eyes (ears, whatever).

LowThudd likes this.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah, the clip in the original post is 3:39
    What are you guys smokin :p

16. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I just opened it again, it ends at 1:51. What's going on here. I'm sober too.

17. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Here it is again from youtube.....1:51

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    that clip goes to 03:39

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Either you or your computer is intoxicated, and needs it's cookies tossed. lol

20. Telecasterless

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I must be in the twilight zone. Getting the same thing at work and at home......vid ends at 1:51 for me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.