Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

George Harrison guitar app

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Greg.Coal, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    I saw this article in the NY Times about an app produced by Dhani Harrison (son) that showcases the George Harrison guitar collection. There is a price quoted for the app plus a reference to more guitars being added to it later.

It is mentioned that a number of celeb's got to play the guitars when they are at the "Grammy Museum" in California. Mike Campbell (TP and the Heart Breakers) was quoted a few times and (rather than copy and paste the entire article) gets the last word in:

For all the worship bestowed on the Harrison guitars, Mr. Campbell said his own encounters with the quiet Beatle suggested he was not especially precious about them.

“I was talking to him about how much I loved the guitar sounds on their early records, the Gretsches and the Rickenbackers,” Mr. Campbell recalled. “And he went: ‘Oh, yeah. They were kind of clunky and hard to play. If we had Fenders, we could have been really good.’ ”​

Greg

2. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Sorry but my computer would not load "this article"I'd like to read it . This Mr. Campbell , Did he ever play on the Sargent Pepper album. I'd like to read what he has to say about his thoughts

3. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2009
    Colorado
    Sorry. I tested the link in a separate browser and it worked. Maybe you could search it. Can't help you about the Sargent Pepper's thing, either.

Greg

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Camplain

Camplain Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Hamburg, Arkansas
    that's a really cool sounding app, and that quote about if they would have had Fenders is hillarious.... the link worked fine for me on IE9

6. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2011
    charlotte, nc
    I've never experienced a Ric that was clunky and hard to play. Good line though.

P

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    What kind of gauge of strings are you using and what kind of gauge of strings did George use in those days?

Anyway, I hope that they contact Ringo about this, since he owns George's second Gretsch Country gent (George owned three) which was used on a certain televised performance hosted by this character called Ed Sullivan.
    [​IMG]
    THAT would be the guitar that people want to see.

8. sadams122

sadams122 TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hawaii
    Beatles loved having a bit of fun with any kludge who happened to be interviewing them.
    The could have played anything...and they did!

9. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2008
    Watertown, CT
    I bought the app and as of now it only has seven guitars. It Lists the songs each guitar was used on and you can buy the song from iTunes. Some of the songs have free samples. Although it wasn't that expensive $9.99 I wouldn't buy it if I had seen it first. I should have done a little more research because I was expecting to see at least photos of his entire collection and maybe stories about certain ones. I did learn that Fender had made a rosewood strat that matched his RW tele. They sent it to Hendrix but he died and they don't know what happened to it.

10. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2008
    Watertown, CT
    No country gent in there. The only Gretsch is his duo jet! The guitars in the app are: Rocky psychedelic strat, duo jet ,Gibson acoustic j160, Ramirez classical, Rickenacker 360/12, RW tele, Zemaitis 12 string acoustic .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.