Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

George Foreman challenges Steven Seagal...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pondcaster, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yeah, it is very difficult to not injure the attacker in Aikido. It is actually part of the training to learn how to not hurt your opponent. There are various techniques that are not normally shown in the movies that can bring down an opponent before he even gets a chance to land a blow. A punch or an attack with a knife is Aikido 101, then the cool stuff gets taught.

BTW, Bruce Lee didn't know Aikido.

It is one thing to make a MMA fighter brawl with boxing rules, but entirely different the other way around.

2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Room to run... with scissors? (they were the only thing missing)

3. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Thanks so much for that lovely image.

Teleterr likes this.

4. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    No, but he fought some that did.

A fair point.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Right! One of the main points of MMA is that it is mixed martial arts!!!
    (I believe we are in agreement on the general subject being discussed, so I'm not arguing with you, just using your info)

While many MMA fighters come from a single fighting style, they inevitably must learn others to be prepared to defend and attack against all sorts of opponents.
    And then they must unlearn the barred techniques of whatever styles they might be most versed in.
    The technology of hurting one another has probably been propelled forward by MMA, as watching the fights (years ago) often finds an excellent fighter struggling to defend against a style they had not yet faced.
    I suspect though that properly trained MMA fighters seldom encounter the unexpected any more, after years of mixing style DNA round the world.
    There were some hilarious fights early on where I forget which Brazilian fighter took on one bigger opponent after another, pulled them down on top of himself, disabled one of their arms across their chests, and just kept punching them in the side of the head as they struggled to hold themselves up.
    Those days are over though, fighters train in a variety of styles best suited to the sport.

Found a couple of crappy cell phone videos of Seagal training MMA figters who became champions (if we believe MMA is real). He was obviously not their only trainers, as they train in more styles than Seagal teaches.

Seagal training Anderson Silva:

Seagal training Lyoto Machida:

Machida knocking out Randy Couture with a kick he (apparently) learned from Seagal in the previous video:
    (you could see Couture adapting his previous kicking style which was more from the side into the presumably Aikido derived kick Saegal was teaching him in the previous video, but Seagal has several black belts and probably mixed techniques. In the knockout kick, Machida clearly used the close quarters straight on kick as Seagal taught it.)

Obsessed likes this.

6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Did it occur to you that he is doing nothing?

I have been to many martial arts tourneys and have seen what is fake and what is real...

Some demonstrations are just choreography - not that I am an expert but I did play a telecaster last night

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I can't believe not one poster here will admit to owning the Steven Seagal grill. As seen on TV!

8. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    PAF

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    He IS doing nothing. That's nothing more than a dance with willing "opponents".

Bingo.

Black Belt in its former iterations was notorious for publishing pretty much anything someone would send them. They've perpetuated numerous hyperbolic stories about well-known (in martial arts circles) martial artists who were later found out to be frauds. Basically they were fanboys who fell for the schtick.

Ok, those vids are pretty funny. Seagall basically talked himself into those camps because he used to be a star. They obliged him and let him do his thing, but it was never a serious part of their training.

To clarify, I trained in martial arts for 10 years and was unlucky enough to have been duped by a pretty good con man. One thing he did, though, was to open my eyes to a lot of what goes on. My current career is within the martial arts industry. I routinely see folks like Ricardo Liborio, Wanderlei Silva, Matt Hughes, etc where I work. My boss is also a purple belt in BJJ and has trained with Rickson Gracie. He also got to accompany Ricardo Liborio to Brazil when he won the ADCC in 2015. Trust me when I say I know what I'm talking about with regards to MA. Just remember, if someone starts spouting mystical nonsense or telling you how they've trained the military or police, or that they're too dangerous to spar, etc -- turn around and walk away.

Do some searches on this site for some mythical MA names you've heard (Frank Dux, Seagall, etc). It'll be an eye-opener.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

One thing I love about the internets is how easy it is to find out a celebrity's estimated net worth:

George Foreman: $250 million
    Steven Seagal: unclear ... $5, $11, $16 million. Probably less than $16 million

Guys, c'mon.

11. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    So wait ,in MMA they wear gloves,but are allowed to kick in the face??!!

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well OK so you make a bunch of different points, yet none prove that Seagal did not train and then teach Aikido since the '60s.
    None prove that his decades training in and teaching MA created a useless joke of a teacher to a real life fighter.
    None prove that Seagal is entirely a con man with no legit training or skills.
    And most of the conspiracy theorist hyperbole has the same odor they point to others as having.

My boss has several belts up in BJJ too, she's a 30 something mother of two and comes to work with bruises joking about guys she choked out, or beginner guys who kept trying to hurt her with barred techniques etc etc.

One thing that sticks out to me is that Seagal is held to be a fraud because he spouts ********. If all the fighters who shoot their mouths off we not real fighters, there would be hardly any real fighters, right?
    Or if all the fighters who have been called frauds were actually frauds, once again, most would be frauds.
    To my recollection, that stuff is consistent with sports fighters and fight fans.
    One really has to wonder why actors are so often presumed to have no real life, or their real lives are subject to ridicule.

In order for Seagal to have no legit MA skills, an awful lot of people around the world would have to have been lying for many years.
    Martial Arts training and skills are just that: training and skills.
    I think it would be easier to simly train and work on developing fighting skills than it would be to create a worldwide conspiracy in order to appear to have developed skills while sitting on the couch.

And given the time a good conspiracy theorist spends at the keyboard defaming people and events, those are the most suspect in "the sport".

I perused the Bullshido forum you linked and found a thread where a poster asked for suggestions on good BJJ Dojos in or around Baton Rouge.
    There was exactly one reply, from a member with over 5k posts, which gave a Google search answer.
    Seems that those who are hot to ridicule others may not be all that knowledgeable in their chosen area of claimed expertise.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127096&s=4375c2f78d0ab2bca09b3540cf363fe8

I do agree that there is a lot of ******** in all these disciplines, even if simply in the appearance of a 180lb man being thrown into the air by a twist of his hand.
    Seagal is annoying to look at, appears arrogant, has bad hair, stars in bad movies, plays bad guitar that almost makes us embarrassed for him to watch, and yet appears to have the respect of some hard hitting fighters.
    What gives?
    Must be a fraud if those are the only people who seem to respect him!
    Though some threaten him too...
    If he is such a total fraud, legit MMA fighters have nothing to gain by allowing him into training sessions.
    Why go out of their way to make themselves look like fools and fakes?

Or are we to assume that the whole MMA is fake fighting too?

Obsessed likes this.

14. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2012

Obsessed likes this.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I want to hear more about this "cook-ki-dough" technique... I'm great with cookies, I think I'd be a natural...

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Both men will need to clear their cache before the big day.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Segal might not look like he is doing much, but dancing in that one video of multiple opponents, but that is what Aikido looks like. You are basically using the opponent's energy and letting it pass you by, hence the no injury discipline. There are no variety of belt colors either. You are a white belt until you become a black belt which takes years of training. My sensei was a very small Japanese man with powers that were beyond belief. It does borrow a few other martial arts into it's own which makes you learn about a few other disciplines. You do progress to a few weapons, staff, knife and sword, so that is why it is pretty versatile too. It really doesn't look like you are using much energy and that is the sign of a good Aikido student.

18. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Rickson Gracie, now that's somebody I wouldn't want to fight!

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

20. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    That's because he is literally doing nothing. That stuff doesn't work in real life.

RogerC likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.