Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

George Foreman challenges Steven Seagal...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by pondcaster, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    What I don't see them throwing is punches. They're just walking up to him and presenting their wrists in a position that makes for an easy pre-choreographed move.

Pretty much what Steven Seagal did all his life on Hollywood sets, but in the movies, the choreography was a bit better.

Maybe The Fabulous Moolah vs Steven Seagal?

2. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I think those guys go by the name "New Jersey Generals".

Good to see Steven remembers some of his movie choreography, but I doubt Foreman would play along.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Mr Green Genes likes this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    So this got me curious about Seagal as an individual, withing the bigger world of spectator fighting, which is itself highly suspect and full of bull.

Of course information on the internet is just as suspect, and we need to look at the source of the info even harder than the info itself.
    But can an out of shape boxer who used to hit hard beat an actor who pretends to fight in movies?

OK so in reverse order, I found a seemingly legit magazine called Black Belt.
    And I found a seemingly legit Japanese Aikido instructor who founded and is the chief instructor at a seemingly legit Dojo
    And I found an article the Dojo instructor wrote for Black Belt magazine about his second and long term Aikido instructor in Japan having been Steven Seagal.
    In the article he also explained that Seagals Aikido style was both brutal and practical, so actually useful on the street where the opponent was actually trying to hurt you, not just a: roll over on cue style.

Now as another litmus test; Black Belt magazine ran an article on David Carradine, which sounds pretty shaky, but they noted that in 50 years of acting, he only "practiced" Kung Fu for 35, and they did not say he was any good at it.
    I'm going with the idea that the magazine has at least a decent amount of credibility.
    Black Belt magazine:
    http://blackbeltmag.com/

Japanese Aikido instructor, 40 years Aikido practitioner and Dojo founder, Haruo Matsuo:
    http://ikazuchi.com/staff/haruo-matsuoka/

Article about Haruo Matsuo being trained in Japan by Steven Seagal, where Matsuo claims Seagal was a great instructor and a devastating fighter.
    According to this Aikido instructor who seems to have a rep to uphold, Seagal was a highly respected Aikido instructor and fighter before becoming an actor who played one in movies. Pretty sure about the timeline anyhow.
    http://blackbeltmag.com/daily/marti...steven-seagal-and-aikidos-history-in-america/

jman72 likes this.

4. johnny k

johnny k Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    yeah. You don t want him to miss the bag and hit you in the ribs.

5. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Steven Segal is an actor. But he must be a better actor than I have givin him credit for, because several in this tread belive he is the man he plays on the screen.

notmyusualuserid likes this.

6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    We saw this already, with two guys more or less in their prime, and pretty much as predicted the boxer handled the martial arts guy with ease.

Do we really want to see two fat guys way past their prime do the same thing, only worse?

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Ki is quite real. I had a girl friend who weighed 90 lbs. At partys she 'd stay on the ground while a strong guys on each arm tried to lift her. I was awake when she was asleep and watched her sink into our futon after an exhale where she was focusing. I can't do demos, but some jackass at a bar deliberately walked into me, I centered and he just bounced off discombobulated. So if Steve is the real deal Ki wise, he might surprise us.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay, since you guys seem to have not heard about this at all, I'm gonna cut you in on where the big money is gonna be at. The winner is set to go ten rounds with Pee Wee Herman, that's gonna be the REAL fight of the century.

Mr Green Genes and Teleterr like this.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    All that fight stuff in the movies in pure unadulterated hooey! If you pay even half attention, just like in the Segal clip "fighting" the Russians, they hold back and never rush him at the same time. When Chuck Norris would go into a bar and beats up everyone in there, guys would back off or hesitate to allow him to finish the guy he was working over. In real life when a gang gets on a guy, they get on him, ALL OF THEM and right now. I'll guarandamnedtee you put Seagal, OR Foreman in one of them cop cars, and when they get in the elevator and head on up to booking, if they wanna fight on the way up, they are gonna get a first class a$$ kicking.

PS:

Compared to the cops, all of them people who beat up people for a living are amateurs. The cops KNOW how to do it better than anyone. Besides, they aren't dumb enough to go one on one with anybody.

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Has anyone considered when they start punching each other, the farts alone from those lard butts would probably kill everyone in the first three rows?

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Just to be clear, Segal is trained in Aikido, so in that martial art, the intent is not to injure the attacker. It is very easy to neutralize a person with some very specific techniques, so George would probably be pinned in the first 10 seconds of the first round. But he won't get hurt.:lol:

Trained in Aikido for a few years.:cool:

jman72, telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.

12. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I can beat either of them if I can choose my ground. Lots of ground. Wide open. Room to run. Get em gasping then come back and bean em with a rock. Sounds good on paper.

Generic Schmoe likes this.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Up here the Highway Patrolmen are on their own, so they take all comers solo. Our Highway Patrol friend subdued a suspect, but he took a good lickin' in the process. Backup is typically a 1/2 hour away. Ambulance even longer. One thing is for sure though, cops have more guts and bravery.

14. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Aikido has been near useless in MMA. (I took it for a while too, long time ago, but it's really easy to get hurt!)

Some of that has to do with "rules". I get the distinct impression Aikido is/was way more useful out in the real world where there are no rules against badly injuring your opponent breaking arms/wrists, etc..

The attacker "uke" in Aikido flops around to basically move to avoid getting injured. You're moving your entire body to keep that joint from being torqued and destroyed by the technique performed by the defender "tori".

The thing is when you watch those videos "uke" is doing an exaggerated/telegraphed attack letting their energy/center of gravity extend so that "tori" can execute their technique.

Guys like boxers do not extend their energy/get off balance like that voluntarily, at least not when they're fresh.

It always felt like you need to do Aikido forever before you'd actually be able to defend yourself, cause in a real scenario unless the attacker is super clumsy you wouldn't be able to perform an aikido technique right away. You'd have to dodge & bide your time till they made a mistake.

Seems like if you did it in real life you'd easily open yourself up for an assault charge if it worked too. Do it successfully on someone who is a clumsy attacker and you probably break their wrist/elbow/shoulder.

15. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Down here in Bakersfield California, a Highway Patrolman gets in trouble he'll have ten CHP, fifteen county cops, and city cops from at least one town and the city there in a very short order. We used to have gang members come up from L.A. to try our cops on, kind of a ritual type thing with them. They don't do that no mo. They had to keep hauling their buddy's bodies back to L.A. I had a buddy who WANTED the night shifts at the Sheriff's department, he said nothing ever really happens on days, it's the nights that are where the action is.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Seagal started training in Aikido in the '60s (plus holds black belts in karate, judo and kendo), went on to teaching Aikido in the '70s, and playing a martial artist in movies in the '80s.

How 'bout that moon landing?

I'm not a big fan of NASA or Seagal, but I don't doubt they did the due.

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Look out Pee Wee has strong hands and wrists.

troy2003 and Toto'sDad like this.

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I heard he was submariner in the bathtub navy.

troy2003 and Mr Green Genes like this.

19. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    When asked in an interview which martial arts style was the most effective, Bruce Lee said it was American boxing.

20. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Well said. That's exactly the impression I got from watching the video.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.