Genre Vs. Era: 'Creep' by Radiohead: Classic Rock or no?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, May 24, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

It's not a music style, it's a radio format that plays only the most popular hits to the point of being extremely annoying.

omahaaudio likes this.
  2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

And all of this is why Billy Joel is not Classic Rock. The key word is Rock. Billy Joel does not Rock.

3. kelnet

You can't put Elton John's entire catalogue into the Classic Rock folder. Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting is Classic Rock. Don't Go Breaking My Heart is not. Island Girl is not.
    Billy Joel? No. None of it. I'm right. You're wrong. :D

And let's face it, "pop music" as a term has been a handy little semantic argument used by folks who want to ignore the fact that there is indeed a difference between rock and pop. "It's all popular" is accurate, but we all know that "pop" doesn't mean that anymore. Pearl Jam was incredibly popular, but they didn't play pop music. Led Zeppelin and Metallica is not pop music, but it is popular.

4. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

StrangerNY likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Believe me, I am NOT disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that lots of so-called Classic Rock is neither classic nor rock

kelnet likes this.
  6. kelnet

Well then, it's time to put our collective foot down, and draw the line once and for all.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes. I play in a punk band. Originals. And I understand why we call ourselves punk. But our songs could be country, straight up rock, lounge (not kidding) and other things, in addition to straight-up punk (whatever that is, given that the Clash, Jam, X, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Misfits, Ramones, Suicidal Tendancies, the Germs, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, Buzzcocks, Social Distortion and even Blink-182 are all considered punk bands).

blowtorch likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep my punk bands play twangin honkytonk, bangin metal, psychobilly, stalker jazz, jumpin swing, frantic surf, AND YES some bloodthirsty punk as well

9. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

"Creep" is a classic, in my opinion. It is not Classic Rock. Neither is anything by Nirvana, STP, Pearl Jam, Sublime, etc. I'm interested in the bands I listed and I own multiple albums by each of them. I'm not hating. I listened to a lot of that music in high school, college... and ever since, really. I learned to play guitar in the context of those bands, and they are very distinct from Classic Rock.

Grunge, Alternative, whatever, is from the age of the guitar anti-hero. If there is a solo in a song, it is often simple. If it is fast or complex, it is deliberately sloppy. It's all very different from the 60's, 70's, 80's guitar gods. Go back and read the reader polls in Guitar World for 'solo of the year' in the mid to late 90's and be utterly dismayed. Now think about the same poll if it had been taken 20 years earlier.

Putting technicality aside, look at the evolution of popular music and its proximity to its roots: jazz and the blues. Classic Rock is closer to Rock 'n' Roll than 90's music. Its recording medium, technology, and probably ethos is different on the whole. There are common elements, one clearly must derives from the other, but they are different. For example, I hear the Blues in Hendrix, and hear Hendrix in "Yellow Ledbetter", but the Blues influence in the latter is far more remote.

GnR isn't Classic Rock either. I love their music. They are on the edge, but they are further along on music's progression than Classic Rock. They have metal and rock 'n' roll in their sound. I don't think of it as Classic Rock, but it's certainly classic.

As with everything, there are gray areas and exceptions to generalizations. The Stones are Rock 'n' Roll and Classic Rock. But 90's music can never be Classic Rock. It just can't. This is only my opinion of course.

10. boop

boop Tele-Meister

The song that Radiohead ripped off for Creep is probably classic rock. From the guys who brought you Long Tall Woman in a Black Dress: The Hollies.

1955 and Linkjr like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Hot funk
    Cool punk
    Even if it’s old junk
    It’s still rock and roll to me.

Y’know who sang those lyrics?

Frank Sinatra.

Ya gonna argue with the Chairman of the Board? I didn’t think so.

StrangerNY likes this.
  12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Funny. Haven't seen that commercial in years. In the 90s we called the graying longhair burnouts "Freedom Rockers".

13. Linkjr

Linkjr Tele-Meister

Was about to say the same! consider anything another band "appropriate" and have a hit with later on down the line to be a classic

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A classic is something that strongly represents a form. It's a recognized, time-tested example of something - say, a style or a movement or a genre.

There are overnight sensations, but there are no instant classics. When George Orwell wrote 1984 and Keep the Apidistra Flying, neither was a classic. They were just new novels. No one knew then that either would become a literary classic. Now one is classic dystopian-future fiction. The other is just a great old book.

In short, a classic is an old hit. The Mona Lisa is a classic.

Rock is a type of popular music invented in the US in 1950s that features an insistent backbeat (you can't lose it) and, at least in its earlier years, leaner lyrics and instrumentation than the dance music it shoved aside.

So the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" and Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" are classic rock, while most people wouldn't consider the Beatles' "Her Majesty's a Pretty Nice Girl" and Cream's "Mother's Lament" to be classic rock.

So: Has "Creep" stood the test of time yet? Is it strongly representative of rock? Your opinion is as good as anyone's.

(But don't tell your wife that!)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Creep Radiohead is as different to post-Kid A Radiohead as Lindsey Buckingham Fleetwood Mac is to Peter Green Fleetwood Mac.

The band names are the same but that’s about it.

Can’t believe it’s been 7 years since I saw Thom and Johnny and the boys . Still one of the best nights of music I’ve ever witnessed - and I’ve been to a lot of shows.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Billy Joel doing a copy/pastiche of Joe Jackson

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

When I think classic rock I think 70's.

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

But don't draw it on my foot!

19. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Alternative to ‘Hair Metal’

Remember those tough guys in spandex with makeup and teased hair?

I was so happy when Grunge happened...

Ok, so I listened to Def Leopard and Poison when I was 11 or 12, but Grunge made it all better for me!

I still feel like Grunge is ‘MY’ music... even thou I’ve been listening to loads of different stuff since those days...

Radiohead isn’t Classic Rock in my opinion... But those stations will play anything that was rocky, popular and is a bit old now...

Mike Eskimo and ifallalot like this.
  20. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

The Dazed and Confused movie soundtrack is a great example to me

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.