Genre Vs. Era: 'Creep' by Radiohead: Classic Rock or no?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, May 24, 2019.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Not all of Chicago's music is Classic Rock. "If You Leave Me Now" is a pop song. So is "Hard to Say I'm Sorry." Billy Joel spans a bunch of labels, but I can't think of any of his that would be Classic Rock. He barely has any rock at all. I mean, we might as well include Jim Croce and James Taylor in the category.

As someone else said in this thread, it has to be guitar-driven to be Classic Rock.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but the purists know. :)

3. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I heard someone call it "Fossil Rock".
    Of course there's always "Dinosaur Rock".

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

No, I wouldn't call Rumble Classic Rock. It's too early, and too...subversive, yes even for Classic Rock. If you put it in terms of what radio stations play, here in the UK we have Planet Rock which is CR but I'm sure would never play Rumble. However BBC 6 Music, which is into alternative and new music, would play it for sure.

I would think of Classic Rock in terms of a bell curve, where the y axis goes from "only a little bit Classic Rock" up to "quintessential Classic Rock". Smack in the middle you have your Deep Purples, your Led Zeppelin, your Guns 'n Roses, all Marshalls, Les Pauls, Strats, long hair and denim, whilst on the extremities you have tracks that might only be considered Classic Rock because a few CR fans like them, like Creep, or something by U2 even.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

@kelnet, I'd say most all if not all Classic Rock is in fact under the larger umbrella of "pop music", and I'd disagree that it necessarily be guitar-driven, because yes Joel Elton ELP etc

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, not to wade into the shallow pointless waters of categorizing music but when I worked for a knucklehead who would blast a horrible classic rock station everyday all day, my sphincter would spasm/constrict just a little more every time I heard Greg Lake shout out “Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends...”

Oyyyy...

Billy Joel ?

If they ever made , like they do so many times now , A Broadway show that had anything to do with Billy Joel, I don’t think anything could be more redundant than that .

I think Footloose rocks harder than You May Be Right. Your average Bryan Adams song sounds like Slipknot compared to Joel.

East coast ? We’ll claim Seger all day long . Billy Joel is all on you...:lol:

He’s a day-old lobster roll that’s been sitting out...

StrangerNY and blowtorch like this.
  7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I've always been annoyed that The Sex Pistols (and many other great Punk bands) are not considered to be "Classic Rock".
    It's rock, and it's classic.

8. blowtorch

Bald now, too. Just sayin.

Mike Eskimo is right, lots of Classic Rock is Classic Suck

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Good Grief - Billy Joel, East Coast? I don't claim him. Please pin him to Port Jefferson, Long Island, NY. I don't want him.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You have no idea, man.

There are currently not one, not two, but three Billy Joel trubute bands out here on LI. And they're all working steadily.

Hell, the leader of one of them got the gig as Billy's stunt singer, singing all the parts that Billy can't sing any more.

Small nit to pick - Oyster Bay, Long Island. PJ is cooler than BJ. ;)

- D

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t listened to a classic rock radio station in decades. I couldn’t tell you what they’re playing now...hell maybe Toto.

12. rigid650

rigid650 Tele-Meister

IMO, "Creep" is an Anthem that tips hat to Chrissy Hynde, and Anthems arent anything but Anthems, and certainly not Rock.

IMO,YMMV, whatever...

13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Same stuff they were playing when you last listened. :)

We've got a classic rock station out here, and if you woke up from a coma and turned it on, you'd think it was still 1978.

- D

Junkyard Dog and blowtorch like this.
  14. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

If it's not from the 60's and 70's, then no. I feel like early 90's acts' style were developed via those 60's/70's artists being deeply embedded in rock consciousness, either embracing it (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Oasis), or more tongue-in-cheek and in defiance of, including Radiohead (Blur, Nirvana). The latter category was usually more punk and new wave inspired than straight Zep devotees. Both aforementioned "categories" to me are developed post-classic rock era as a reaction to the real thing, and are therefore not classic rock.

15. blowtorch

OK, but you skipped over a whole decade, there
    [​IMG]

TheMindful likes this.
  16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Ha! True. That is probably why I stopped listening. I remember on Memorial Day weekend they would countdown the "Top 500 Songs of All Time". Sounds cool, but...then you realize it's just the same songs they play all the time anyway!

StrangerNY likes this.
  17. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I don't personally consider the 80's classic rock either. If we're talking hair bands, it doesn't sound too much like the previous generations' music and I think of it as it's own thing. Again, I think of the 60's and it's aftermath, the 70's, and all that bluesy rock, to be classic rock.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I assume that means you also don't read the "10 Things You Didn't Know About Recording Dark Side of the Moon" facebook post every time it shows up? It's up to at least twice a day now on my FB feed.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...there you go - just a convenient term for the radio coke heads that sold advertising to targeted age groups, just like some Wharton-trained MBA recommended...and then MTV came along and started killing radio stations, the aggregation of failed businesses starts accelerating and it no longer matters.

don't really care either way.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That’s kinda my point. If you knew a Seger tribute band had a good singer and they went deep enough into the catalog you wouldn’t have to drag most folks kicking to go see that.

Joel tribute band ?

Makes me shudder to even think about it.

I know the operations manager at MSG.

He says for the monthly standing room only gig there , he makes $2 million+ and depending on whether he takes a chopper or one of his restored fishing boats, it can be as little as 3 hours and change between him walking out his front door to walking back in...

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.