Genre Vs. Era: 'Creep' by Radiohead: Classic Rock or no?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, May 24, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

While my wife and I were grabbing a bite to eat before seeing the legendary Undertones in NYC last night (they're in Boston this weekend and you Boston guys should go, they were really good), we started talking about what makes a song 'Classic Rock,' and I said I considered 'Creep' to be Classic Rock. My wife maintained that Classic Rock was more about era than genre, and that 'Creep' was too new to be considered Classic Rock.

I can see her point, that the bulk of Classic Rock comes out of a certain era , mid- to late 70s and maybe into the early 80s. But there are exceptions to that rule - Nirvana, The Clash and Foo Fighters all get pretty heavy play on the Classic Rock stations in the NYC area. I could probably come up with a few more examples, but I haven't had enough coffee for my brain to be at full steam yet.

So, what do you guys think? Is Classic Rock strictly music of a certain era? And why are certain songs outside that era considered Classic Rock? Sales? Melody? The artists who recorded them?

Discuss.

- D

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Hard to say. In the mid-80s we were calling Zeppelin, Floyd, Boston, and ACDC classic rock. In Through the Out Door was released 1979, as was the Wall. Back in Black was 1980. First Boston album was 1976. I was a HS sophomore in '86. I remember some douchey guy a year older than me playing Boston in his truck at school. I said, "you like Boston?, as in 'dude, they're like from 10 years ago, and they sound ridiculous'. :rolleyes::D

Now albums from 20 years ago still seem new to me.

EDIT: I might agree that the term Classic is more era related than not, If not for the fact that true classic rock would technically be from the 50s. Stuff from the 60s and 70s had its own things going on.

Kriticaster and StrangerNY like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

A person’s answer will depend on how old they are.

I was in high school in the late 80s and college in the early-to-mid 90s.

I was astonished the first time I heard Guns ‘N Roses on “classic rock radio” in about 1998. Within a couple of years we started hearing Pearl Jam and Nirvana on CRR.

So although there may be an era in our heads that we emotionally associate with classic rock, I think it that the genre is constantly expanding forward to grab ahold of any band that fits the sound.

That said, I have never considered Radiohead to be classic rock in any way, shape, or form.

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The term gets watered down.

It’s a genre based on an era. However, it’s also the name used for a radio format, which is why it got watered down.

In the broadest sense, Creep is 90’s alternative.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's a pretty good summary, Hawk.

- D

El Tele Lobo and po-boy like this.
  6. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I like how Sirius classifies Classic Rock. There's Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind- those are pretty self-explanitory and even though when I grew up the "Rewind" stuff was played along with the "Vinyl" stuff on SF local KRQR, the "Vinyl" stuff is what I really consider "Classic Rock" if I had to make a definition.

90s stuff is not and shouldn't be Classic Rock. It is its own deal

Kriticaster likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Alternative to what?

Sorry. Too early in the thread, maybe? I get impatient sometimes. :oops:

Kriticaster and StrangerNY like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

*sigh* Try as some of us might, we can’t override our brain’s constant quest to categorize/put things in boxes/order.

When my band mates start the eternal, ridiculous, never-ending argument of “is this band punk, post-punk, or new wave ?” I walk quickly away and grab a beer.

BTW, the reason any band is included on a particular playlist , no matter the band or the playlist, is the same as it’s been since radio was invented...$$$

As far as what a listener thinks should be included ?

Good Texan’s first sentence.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Classic rock" is a specific group of material from a specific bunch of bands that were all big roughly 60s through the 80s (although yeah some 90s stuff creeps in there, if you'll pardon the pun). The term "classic rock" refers to this music specifically. Music doesn't age into "classic rock"

It's like the term "new wave". None of it's new anymore

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also , Creep as a song by itself with no other Radiohead music as context ? Generic post-grunge on the level of Bush and Silverchair.

Radiohead themselves have said that it’s a Nirvana/Pixies rip-off.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

As long as we have to categorize, I'd repeat what someone said - Appetite for Destruction is the last classic rock album - that puts a lid on things both in terms of genre / style AND era. So for me, Nirvana and Radiohead can never be classic rock. The Black Crowes pose a bit a problem, but I'd say overall the "G'NR Line" is as useful as any useless categorization will be.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. blowtorch

Nahhh, Nirvana PearlJam FaithNoMore Stone Temple Pilots etc sneak in there. But just kinda barely. They are sorta transition fringe misfits but it still goes with the genrera, IMO

And yes, genrera is a word. I just created it :)

Wildcard_35 and StrangerNY like this.
  13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

If you fudge it forward, can you fudge it backward? Is "Come Together " Classic Rock? How about Cream? Yarbirds?

StrangerNY likes this.
  14. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

This.

Sounds like The Good Texan is about 10 years older than me, but I had almost the same experience.

Funny thing is, I haven't heard anyone describe anything post-2000 as Classic Rock, even though some of that music is almost 20 years old at this point. Maybe Classic just means that a lot of people still like it decades later, and we have pumped out a lot of forgettable, interchangeable pop music in the last 20 years.

Idk, just thinking out loud.

Wildcard_35 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

undertones! cool!...is feargal sharkey with them?

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. blowtorch

Yep. but "Love Me Do" and "Mr Postman" are just straight-up oldies

Sunsine of Yer Love, White Room and probably Crossroads, yep

I originally said no, that they just never made a big enough splash, but I'm editing to say maybe "For Your Love"

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    kelnet likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

clas·sic
    /ˈklasik/
    adjective
    1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
    "a classic novel"
    synonyms: definitive, authoritative
    2. remarkably and instructively typical.
    "Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy"
    synonyms: typical, archetypal, quintessential, vintage

noun
    1. a work of art of recognized and established value.
    "his books have become classics"
    synonyms: definitive example, model, epitome, paradigm, exemplar, prototype
    2. a school subject that involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history

Creep
    fits the bill for me, but I still think the word was misapplied. Nostalgic Rock is more appropriate for programming. I think of the material from the 50s/60s/70s as primal rock.

Dennyf and StrangerNY like this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

classic rock is a radio marketing term...when i was in high school...bands like the cars...foreigner...kansas...rush...were the new music philly radio played...beatles stones cream doors...were also played...but not punk or new wave...if you were punk/new wave in the 70s and beyond isnt classic rock...before that music its classic rock

the clash...g n r...not classic rock...play them on a classic rock station means they are just an acceptable genre of music they will play...ever heard a ramones song on a classic rock station...could happen... but i hope not

radiocaster likes this.
  19. blowtorch

The term itself, "Classic Rock", is just boomers proclaiming their art has real substance. Which isn't a false thing, but, whatever :rolleyes:

Wildcard_35 and StrangerNY like this.
  20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

for me, "classic rock" starts with the Beatles and Rolling Stones, but I don't have an endpoint. it could still be going on right now. for example, what is Govt Mule?

Wildcard_35 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.